QueensBoro Plaza and Queens Plaza

HanTheGreat

I've always been wondering, why isnt there a free transfer between Queensboro Plaza and Queens Plaza? The stations are practically neighbors. I found out recently why they aren't physically connected, since Queens Plaza is 4 blocks away. It just seems weird when I take the E to Q Plaza and I don't hear: "A free transfer is also available to the N, Q and 7 trains by walking to the Queensboro Plaza station and using your Metrocard."

That would be a smart/nice connection between the 2. Most likely, because You can get Broadway (R) service at Queens Plaza, one last time, and then pick up the (7) at 23 St/Ely (Aka Court Sq-23 St). So in essence, the transfers between the Flushing and Queens Blvd Line is already Court Square, and Broadway Service is running along Queens Blvd already..

In my opinion, the connection would help Astoria-Bound riders coming from Jamaica or Forest Hills; and vice-versa. (E)(M)(R) To Queens Plaza, then transfer to an Astoria-Bound (N) or (Q); vice versa as well. I don't think it would serve much of a Manhattan-Bound purpose, because you have the (R) there, and the (7) you could pick up at the next stop; Court Square/23 St. But I still see what you mean; their so close, why not add the transfer..

46st and Steinway are two stops on the QB local that are close enough to Astoria where a short walk or bus ride would serve their needs. Most would have to walk roughly the same distance plus getting all the way up to the platform in an area that isn't pedestrian friendly.

For instance, people on forums have been complaining for years that isn't set up along Broadway in Brooklyn for the (G) and the (J)(M). However, Brooklyn is still a bus-reliant boro and I'm not sure that while it can be used, its not like there's going to be a throng using that connection.

The real argument is not why it isn't there, but more like it isn't costing TA much (if anything at all if its part of turnstyle maintainers regular duties) to do all these OoS transfer setups, so why not have them in there if even a handful of riders would deem it useful?

(On the Lex-59/63rd OoS transfer)

The thing is, many parts of Queens are in two-fare zones (or more) still, and the transfer isn't useful for those coming from uptown looking for QB if they were going beyond subway limits. They still just pile on the (R) which is right downstairs for them and get an express train in Queens if one is sitting there at the Plaza. Coming in from Queens would seem more useful, but then if on an (E) just sit to Lex and get oft-frequent (6) service, or on an (F) wait at Roosevelt for any train that goes to the Plaza.

While 2Timer you make a good comment below, still there are several places systemwide that still should have an OOS metrocard transfer that won't cost the (MTA) an arm and a leg. In near future when fiscal crisis is over the only new 'in-system' transfer not currently in construction,(i.e Bleecker-Houston) I would bulid is one between the (3) and (L) the Junuis-Liviona area. It would provide a growing Canarise area with access to the (3) West Side and (4)late evenings/overnights only to Downtown Brooklyn, most of Manhattan and the Bronx. And also take off crowding from the busy Broadway Junction station as well.

The following others should become OOS transfer stations.

Queens Plaza-Queensboro Plaza. As the others said connects Astoria Line 'N' 'Q' with the '7' to Jackson Heights, Corona and Flushing and QB 'E' F' 'R' 'M' with much of the boro.

Broadway-Lorimer Street (G)(J)(M) This is useful since on many weekends, the (G) is not running it's full route between Church Ave and Court Sq. Provides access to Jamaica Ave (J) and Myrtle Ave (M)stations and vice versa for (G) riders in Clinton Hill, Downtown Brooklyn, Caroll Gardens and Park Slope without having to back track to Lower Manhattan.

South Ferry/Whitehall-Bowling Green (R) (N)overnights only (1)(4)(5)

It's just at most 2 blocks connecting these '2' stations. It's already used during GO's when the (4) is not running to Brooklyn. Why not make it permament.

Just my takes.

46st and Steinway are two stops on the QB local that are close enough to Astoria where a short walk or bus ride would serve their needs. Most would have to walk roughly the same distance plus getting all the way up to the platform in an area that isn't pedestrian friendly.

For instance, people on forums have been complaining for years that isn't set up along Broadway in Brooklyn for the (G) and the (J)(M). However, Brooklyn is still a bus-reliant boro and I'm not sure that while it can be used, its not like there's going to be a throng using that connection.

The real argument is not why it isn't there, but more like it isn't costing TA much (if anything at all if its part of turnstyle maintainers regular duties) to do all these OoS transfer setups, so why not have them in there if even a handful of riders would deem it useful?

(On the Lex-59/63rd OoS transfer)

The thing is, many parts of Queens are in two-fare zones (or more) still, and the transfer isn't useful for those coming from uptown looking for QB if they were going beyond subway limits. They still just pile on the (R) which is right downstairs for them and get an express train in Queens if one is sitting there at the Plaza. Coming in from Queens would seem more useful, but then if on an (E) just sit to Lex and get oft-frequent (6) service, or on an (F) wait at Roosevelt for any train that goes to the Plaza.

I was gonna say that the stations are too far apart...but then we have to look at Court Sq and Lex Ave 63rd st. That (F) train has to be like 4 blocks away or it feels like it. Sure why not have the transfer be free? My thinking though it may just be more convenient to switch trains elsewhere.

Not really. It would for instance someone going to any Astoria Line station(or vice versa)and for instance Kew Gardens would be able to do without back tracking to Manhattan.

(N) to Queensboro - (7) to Elmhurst/Roosevelt Avenue - (E) to Kew Gardens.

It's not fun, but theres still no backtracking. Plus that area gets seedy at night.

Though I wont lie, Queens/Boro would have been better had the (G) still been going to Queens Plaza.

(N) to Queensboro - (7) to Elmhurst/Roosevelt Avenue - (E) to Kew Gardens.

It's not fun, but theres still no backtracking. Plus that area gets seedy at night.

Though I wont lie, Queens/Boro would have been better had the (G) still been going to Queens Plaza.

And...:eek::confused:

Late at Night you always try to extra more careful and vilgennte for safety. Thus not an excuse not to develop things.

Again except for Liviona-Junius for the (3)(L) lines all of these suggestions I made are for OOS(no extra buliding)transfer which would only would cost a few thousand to update the turnstiles/fareboxes.

I thought the idea here is to make mass transit 'easier' for riders?

And...:eek::confused:

Late at Night you always try to extra more careful and vilgennte for safety. Thus not an excuse not to develop things.

Again except for Liviona-Junius for the (3)(L) lines all of these suggestions I made are for OOS(no extra buliding)transfer which would only would cost a few thousand to update the turnstiles/fareboxes.

I thought the idea here is to make mass transit 'easier' for riders?

Its kind of different since thats where they let off the fresh prisoners, as opposed to the risk of running into some skell. Its also different since you have multiple options to transfer from the (7) to the (E) without backtracking and going outside of the system. Queens Plaza is close, but its not the be all to end all (you dont have to limit yourself to one stop)

While 2Timer you make a good comment below, still there are several places systemwide that still should have an OOS metrocard transfer that won't cost the (MTA) an arm and a leg. In near future when fiscal crisis is over the only new 'in-system' transfer not currently in construction,(i.e Bleecker-Houston) I would bulid is one between the (3) and (L) the Junuis-Liviona area. It would provide a growing Canarise area with access to the (3) West Side and (4)late evenings/overnights only to Downtown Brooklyn, most of Manhattan and the Bronx. And also take off crowding from the busy Broadway Junction station as well.

I like this transfer since it would open the door for increased transfer opportunities for Canarsie (as well as Spring Creek and Flatlands riders). The (3) travels further north than the (L) does in Manhattan and provides transfers to lines that head to Upper Manhattan, The Bronx, and Queens.

A transfer between the Parsons/Hillside F station and the nearby Parsons/Archer E/J stations might benefit a few folks traveling from the J line to 179 street, although a bus transfer would probably be more convenient in that case....

A transfer between the Parsons/Hillside F station and the nearby Parsons/Archer E/J stations might benefit a few folks traveling from the J line to 179 street, although a bus transfer would probably be more convenient in that case....

Yeah that's not going to happen...its a 3 block walk and lots of buses!

Yeah that's not going to happen...its a 3 block walk and lots of buses!

Plus an easier concept. If you at a Jamaica Ave (J) station and need Queens Blvd stops just transfer at Supthin/Archer for the (E). Or for local stops get off again for same platform transfer for the (R) and weekdays only also the (M). Or Vice versa.

Lol glad to see I started a whole argument. Anyways, another reason why the QB/Q Plaza OOS transfer makes sense is it allows riders access to the Broadway Express without having to go to Lex Ave-59st. Therefore, those going to Wall St from stops along the Queens Blvd line would have a faster route.

And I do agree, there should be a connection between the Jamaica BMT Lorimer St station and Crosstown Local Broadway station. Heck, you can see signs pointing to Lorimer when you exit B-Way, and signs pointing to B-Way when you exit Lorimer. Might as well go all the way.

Ohh ok. I'm the new kid on the block here lol

welcome aboard. Han bit of advice. If you feel there a chance a question/topic has been raised here before i.e the controversy of the (F) going to the 63rd street tunnel even 10 years later on your upper part of your screen hit the 'search' icon.

If nothing pops up feel free to post. Have fun on the boards.

I don't think that the MTA really likes "out of system transfers" like the 63rd Street to 59th Street Lexington AVenue stations, especially after its long history of the abuse of such transfers at Franklin Avenue and other locations.

I don't think that it is just the loss of revenue potential in these situations, but there is / was a level of administrative hassle involved. From the days of paper transfers (and their mis-use and abuse) to just plain fare-beating - the MTA reduce restricted such transfers.

In reality - folks with unlimited Metro-Cards are able to make as many "out of system" transfers as they want - between any two stations or buses, etc. So the "only folks" who can not benefit are those who use "pay per ride" cards.

The G.O. situation that presents itself with the new South Ferry #1 terminal and the #4 and #5 trains, where the entrances/exits of these two stations are along the same stretch of Battery Park - a straight line single block walk between the two stations - actually save the MTA money in comparison with the round-about transfers and train movements that was done in the recent and distant past.

The other by-necessity "out of system transfer" has to do with the only connection between the #4 and #5 trains and the A and C trains at the Fulton Street station as construction of the Fulton Transit Center proceeds. Riders of the #4 and #5 lines have to proceed on street to the World Trade Center station when the platforms at Fulton Street are closed for renovation.

Just some notes.

Mike

Archived