Can SAS Phase 1 do the job?

No, the SAS does not need to be changed from one avenue to another just to get closer to the (L) on 1st Av. If they are creating a long corridor connection to the SAS on 55th and 42nd st, then they can do the same for 14th St.

Grand st, they should've kept the SAS on the same level rather than to have it go below the B/D lines because the residents there don't want their park dug up for the construction.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see any need for the return of the (V) anyway. The (M) does a fine job, and people want to see the (V) for only nostalgic reasons. For the (W) or something similar to the (W) I see some understanding for as it would help people in South Brooklyn when it's extended to Brooklyn during rush hours, how it would help the (N) run express, and how it would serve Astoria, but there is no need for the (V).

Did you read my post?!? It would be used to get more service.

You have the Q and F trains already [just transfer across the platform at 63rd-lex], having the (V) would just diminsh service on both lines just to fit it. Not to mention the (V) would delay those lines just by getting in their way. There's no point of the (V) anymore now that the (M) has become more popular.

So on that point he is correct.

Actually they can't build a First Avenue Subway. The water table, and the East River is way too close. It would cause flooding, and water problems throughout the line. Also it can't run up to 125th Street where the MNRR is anyway. Since people can't transfer it won't work out. The only thing that is good that even exist at First Avenue is the UN Building, and also they can't build a transfer to the (L) at First Avenue. The tunnel would be way too steep. They can make a transfer from the (L) at Third Avenue to the Second Avenue Subway instead.

Also this is what the Second Avenue Subway looks like on a current NYC Subway Map.

sas_map_lg.png

Actually they can't build a First Avenue Subway. The water table, and the East River is way too close. It would cause flooding, and water problems throughout the line. Also it can't run up to 125th Street where the MNRR is anyway. Since people can't transfer it won't work out. The only thing that is good that even exist at First Avenue is the UN Building, and also they can't build a transfer to the (L) at First Avenue. The tunnel would be way too steep. They can make a transfer from the (L) at Third Avenue to the Second Avenue Subway instead.

I meant between 14th and Houston, where it would switch back to 2nd/Chrystie.

When only Phase 1 is complete how about bringing back a (V) service but keeping the (M) on 6th Avenue. But this would mean no (T) until stage two. Anyway the (T) would only stop at 3 stops.

(V) Stops;

- Second Ave-Houston St F

- B'way-Lafayette B,D,F,M

- West Fourth A,C,E,B,D,F,M

- 14th Street F,M,L

- 23rd St F,M

- 34th St-Herald Square B,D,F,M,N,R,Q, and maybe W

- 42nd St-Bryant Park B,D,F,M,7

- 47-50th Sts/Rock Center B,D,F,M

- 57th St F,Q

- Lexington Ave-63rd St

- 72nd St Q

- 86th St Q

- 96th St Q

Anyone approve my ideas?

If they could find a way to squeeze that in, it should go to Church Ave. That would be the main purpose of bringing it back.

Yes, if they ever do finish Phase I then many of us will use 2nd Avenue instead of Lexington Avenue. I used to take the express bus to the World Financial Center, but this year I've had to walk over a mile each way using the (4)(5) to Brooklyn Bridge. With Phase I, I'll be taking the (Q) to the (2)(3) to Chambers and only be walking only a half a mile or so.

It'll also increase revenue because now that there's no X90 a lot of us are like "Hmm, 4 avenue blocks of walking, no personal space, and spending $2.25... screw that I'll spend an extra $4 on a Wall Street express van."

It could link the Nassau Street Line to Midtown Manhattan which is something most people need down there. There is a demand as we can see from the current (M). Though Culver residents along the (F) and (G) are clamoring for more service as well, and not just that they demand express service so a (T) over there would benefit as well. Also a extended (W) to South Brooklyn also does the job, because people from Canal Street on the (J)/(Z) can transfer to Midtown from there or onwards to South Brooklyn. This is confusing. No wonder why architects, civil engineers, and urban planners spend years planning for something before starting it.

It's a study. I have to demonstrate the study. I even linked the PDF.

Then just link it, with you everything has to be in image form. All that does is hog up other people's bandwidth. Do you even own any of those images?

I actually really like the idea of it using the Nassau Ave line and continuing into Brooklyn via Montague St.

That's been one of my earlier ideas and I do support that idea. It's 'cheaper' and makes better use of an underused segment. It would save on the cost of building a new river tunnel and gives southern Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan that one seat ride they lost when the (M) was sent up 6th av.

How about post pictures when absolutely necessary rather than just post the images in the first place? A link will suffice. With some images they are likely from the same source and that means you are further hogging up bandwidth. This would not be a problem if you did this once in a while, but the case with you is that this is a frequent thing.

That's been one of my earlier ideas and I do support that idea. It's 'cheaper' and makes better use of an underused segment. It would save on the cost of building a new river tunnel and gives southern Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan that one seat ride they lost when the (M) was sent up 6th av.

Exactly!

Besides the (W), or the (T) you could create a rush hours only service that will run from Chambers Street to Bay Parkway similar to the <R>, but using a different letter. People at Chambers Street can transfer to go on down to South Brooklyn. It is also a win win solution. If it proves to be popular it can run at all times, but if the (W) is revived for the (N) to run express it can't run to South Brooklyn due to this new service as it would jam up the Montague Street Tunnel, and the Fourth Avenue Line.

You mean serving the Alphabet Avenue area? The (MTA) doesn't really consider this mainly, because they want to serve the load of passengers coming off Grand Street.

So they want people to take the M8,M14A/D, or the M9. I want subway where I'm now!!

Phase I will help reduce crowding on the most congested corridors between 42nd and 96th Streets on the Lex Line.

If completed, many UES riders would now have a one seat ride to midtown and midtown west...on the SAS, thus eliminating the need for them to use Lexington Avenue trains.

However, until SAS is completed in its entirety, the Wall St/Brooklyn Bridge/Fulton St crowd will continue to rely on the Lex line.

Of course, by the time that happens, more people will be in this city and there will be new patterns of overcrowding to overcome.

I find it amazing that everyone here can post hypothetical extensions and all that jazz for a line that's taking an eternity for 3 simple stations

As for the original question (which it seems like everyone veered away from), its way too early to tell since it aint even built yet

I find it amazing that everyone here can post hypothetical extensions and all that jazz for a line that's taking an eternity for 3 simple stations

What else is new? As circumstances around here seem to dictate...if you want to daydream about something happening and want to actually make it happen...post it as if it's fact and if enough people talk about it, it will become reality when the MTA bigwigs that read this site realize that railfans actually have all the answers to life's mysteries and begin doing exactly what they want.

hmm, what should i call this quote unquote "insight?"

how about...

-things i learned from fox news?

Archived