"Police Investigation" at Fulton Street...

mrcrassic

I suspect a 12-9 happened there today. Can anyone confirm?

Posted: 07/07/2011 4:24PM

MTA Service Notice

Due to a police investigation at the Fulton Street Station, downtown and trains are running on the line from the West 4th Street-Washington Square Station to the Jay Street-Metro Tech Station.

Please allow additional travel time.

Yeah I was wondering what was going on. I was on a S/B (F) train and at Roosevelt Avenue the C/R announced that due to a problem in Manhattan along 6th and 8th Avenues the S/B (F) train ran Crosstown (aka along the (G)) to Brooklyn. As soon as I heard that, I knew something was up at West 4th Street.

Personally, I had to go to Brooklyn anyway (Jay St), therefore for me it wasn't a big deal.

This really impacted service.Basically one Euclid/Rockaway train every 10 min or even longer ( or shorter) in Brooklyn, only local service.And there were more ©'s than (A)'s.And also it appears the stations in brooklyn do not have a pa system.So no one waiting on the platforms knew what was going on.

Today was the day of "police investigations." First Ditmas, then somewhere in Brooklyn, and now this. Needless to say having a (2) turn around at 14th and then a (5) arrive local at Grand Central only to go back to express without warning certainly threw me off.

I was stuck in that mess. There was no (2)(3)(4)(5) service (I'm not sure if there was (A)(C) service), so the (R) was packed with riders. It came into 8th Street/NYU with more standees than usual, but I thought nothing of it until we traveled really slowly in Lower Manhattan. The City Hall and Rector Street stations had more riders than usual, and the Whitehall Street station was packed: People were backed up almost all the way to the turnstiles. I missed the 17:15 ferry trying to get through those crowds. :mad: (I can hear Via Garibaldi now: You should've taken the express bus :P). Well, that and the fact that the train was crawling between the stations.

Those stations are sometimes so hot from tunnel heat and the heat from the trains air conditioners and resistor grids.My advice at the hottest stations is to stay closer to the wall and away from the edge in case of feeling ill.

You can't do that in some stations that have island platforms, I say stand right in the middle and if possible, grab a seat while waiting.

The guy was struck by the train, either he was standing too close to the edge of the platform, he was pushed or he jumped. Either way he survived.

If this is the one I heard about...he apparently slipped at exactly the wrong time.

Archived