What if the MTA was a statewide agency?

MTARegional Bus

I know that NY is a big state that can't support a statewide public transportation but lets use your imagination. ;)

My plan

Name change: The MTA Change Will now be NYST.

Fare: NYC will stay with the $2.25/free transfers but if you are going let say Albany or buffalo fares may be more by distance but you can still get a free transfer to a local NYST county bus or a transfer point to connect to other bus.

Fleet: Orion VII (Some suburbans) and New Flyer Xcelsior (Some Suburbans) For short try-county distance or local distance While The MCI coaches will handle Long distance travel.

That my plan, post your plans. :)

I know that NY is a big state that can't support a statewide public transportation but lets use your imagination. ;)

My plan

Name change: The MTA Change Will now be NYST.

Fare: NYC will stay with the $2.25/free transfers but if you are going let say Albany or buffalo fares may be more by distance but you can still get a free transfer to a local NYST county bus or a transfer point to connect to other bus.

Fleet: Orion VII (Some suburbans) and New Flyer Xcelsior (Some Suburbans) For short try-county distance or local distance While The MCI coaches will handle Long distance travel.

That my plan, post your plans. :)

Birnie bus devours all central NY rural buses merges several to create intercity lines. Most originate from kingston or oneonta. They have variants that head over to utica via shelburne and other places rte 8 also some head to watertown.

Others from syracuse to rome then tupper lake and franklin county en rte to plattsburgh. Other ones to potsdam from hamilton or other parts of chelengo county. RGRTA absorbs their warren rtes but merges em with 92 and powers it up. 30/45 get powered up. My plan is nothing more than intercity bus rtes nothing for local and such.

Maybe a bit of irony here: the M.T.A. is a New York State agency. It's just a state agency that operates public transportation in New York City (and Nassau County).

But, I can see what you're asking here: What if the M.T.A. was like New Jersey Transit and providing transit statewide.

In that case, it would be best to keep in mind that primarily The Southern Tier is rural and small town with the exception of Binghamton, Elmira, and Jamestown and that interconnected/interconnecting bus service might work best along the Erie Canal (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse) and in The Capitol Region (Albany, Troy, Schenectady, Utica).

In that case, it would be best to keep in mind that primarily The Southern Tier is rural and small town with the exception of Binghamton, Elmira, and Jamestown and that interconnected/interconnecting bus service might work best along the Erie Canal (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse) and in The Capitol Region (Albany, Troy, Schenectady, Utica).

err yes rural small town only supports intercity buses NOT buses that go nowhere apparantly most of the counties in NYS are too stupid to realize that simple fact they continue to run buses to nowhere it's beyond sad they release new local buses with one round trip and expect ppl to use it!!! seriously who would!!!! Local buses don't work in small towns!!!!!!!!!!!! they never will only intercity buses are suitable for this as they can operate more frequently at a lower cost to the counties involved. The irony is the contractor running all these useless nowhere buses happens to be a member of TRAILWAYS NY!!!!!!! yep birnie bus.

Short answer: It would be an unmitigated disaster.

The fact is that the MTA is not really accountable to anyone. Now, as for fixing the problems with the cost of bus travel in NY State, what may need to be done is to encourage heavy competition (it should be noted that advance Greyhound fares are not valid for travel to destinations within the State of New York. Currently, bus travel within New York is all but a duopoly between Trailways of New York and Short Line, and a virtual monopoly outside the Southern Tier.

I would actually argue for a dismantling of the MTA, in which the city takes operation of the subway, and private operators get the buses railroads, and bridges (with a common unifying branding).

I invoke the Rule of Three (in which in a mature economy, there are at least three unique operators). NJ is a small enough state for that to be pulled off; NY is way too big a state.

Short answer: It would be an unmitigated disaster.

The fact is that the MTA is not really unaccountable to anyone. Now, as for fixing the problems with the cost of bus travel in NY State, what may need to be done is to encourage heavy competition (it should be noted that advance Greyhound fares are not valid for travel to destinations within the State of New York.

I would actually argue for a dismantling of the MTA, in which the city takes operation of the subway, and private operators get the buses railroads, and bridges (with a common unifying branding).

competition works for intercity travel NOT local city travel look at what that did to LA's network!!!! It won't work for a city dude. We don't need 10 to 20 different operators running the buses that's even worse than how its run now

competition works for intercity travel NOT local city travel look at what that did to LA's network!!!! It won't work for a city dude. We don't need 10 to 20 different operators running the buses that's even worse than how its run now

You don't need many different operators. I would divide it into Staten Island, Manhattan-Bronx, Brooklyn-Queens (the Q44 would be split between the Brooklyn-Queens and Manhattan-Bronx operators), and paratransit facilities being operated from the regular route garages. Each operator could then assign buses to garages as it sees fit.

As for paratransit between zones, it would require a change of vehicles at designated points, but it would save money by keeping the vehicles in their zones.

As long as there are private operators running intercity schedules, there is no need for the MTA to expand statewide. The MTA seems too big to manage, as it is.. As for competition, there is plenty right now, with these cutrate operators running against the 'legacy' operatiors. Unfortunately, the advent of deregulation while cutting fares for the public, has also resulted in loss of service to many smaller towns and routes, as the new entries only 'cherry-pick' the profitable routes. Under regulation, operators had to cross-subsidize the sparse routes with their profitable ones as a public service.

New Jersey, being the most densely populated state in the nation, is a unique situation, that can support having a statewide operator (NJT) as it does.

They can be private while using MTA equipment, Like NJ does.

Look what that did to CT's network. CT's network is fragmented due to incompatibility of the privates and the maintanence can be fragmented also.

In a way it works in MD to keep the costs of regional rtes down and allows service to be deployed in places they won't be able to serve.

In NYC thats NOT the case the privates in NYC were taken over for a reason proving that private buses DO NOT work in NYC.

In NJ I would have em work together and share long distance lines.

NYC is great beacause of the united bus network. You don't want NYC to look like LA do you??? LA did what you suggested LOOK AT THE DISASTER!!!! that private thing only works for LONG DISTANCE regional systems

They can be private while using MTA equipment, Like NJ does.

That is the model I would move to. The MTA would be a purchasing agency (and Ed Mangano can probably be convinced to let the MTA buy equipment to get the costs off his county's books), who would then turn over the equipment to private operators.

BTW, the city essentially ran the privates out of business by not buying any new equipment to replace buses that should have been junked 8-9 years before takeover. The next mayor should work with the governor to dismantle the MTA.

That is the model I would move to. The MTA would be a purchasing agency (and Ed Mangano can probably be convinced to let the MTA buy equipment to get the costs off his county's books), who would then turn over the equipment to private operators.

BTW, the city essentially ran the privates out of business by not buying any new equipment to replace buses that should have been junked 8-9 years before takeover. The next mayor should work with the governor to dismantle the MTA.

Let MTA run subways and express buses but local buses privite operators with MTA equipment but with the same fare policy all operators must accept metrocard. and NYC determins the schedule

As for upstate long distance service on sparse rural routes--I believe the state DOT should provide subsidies to private operators if they want service at a prescribed level on an unserved or underserved route. Let a safety-certified pool of operators bid for the contracts. If I'm not mistaken, something along those lines is already in existence.

As for upstate long distance service on sparse rural routes--I believe the state DOT should provide subsidies to private operators if they want service at a prescribed level on an unserved or underserved route. Let a safety-certified pool of operators bid for the contracts. If I'm not mistaken, something along those lines is already in existence.

err yes they already do this now. However I think they will be better served by intercity bus rather than local buses to nowhere that run like once a day cmon. However oswego buses need to be taken over by centro ASAP they SUCK HARDCORE and are beyond useless.

you do realize private bus operators have left a bad taste in the mouths of NYC ppl. And there is a very STRONG stigma attatched to the privates many ppl don't want them to return at all.

Back on topic, if MTA represented all of New York State, it would become even more of a political football as the pols from upstate would prevent the agency from cutting services to them, but allow them to cut service in much needed downstate and NYC areas.

Archived