The official 2011 and 2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series thread!!

SI Subway

Self explanitory! This is a thread for NASCAR fans. This is similar to the other sport threads, notably the baseball one. Talk about whatever you want in this thread, so long that it is NASCAR related.

Choose your topic: Dale Earnhardt, Jr. is overrated, and Carl Edwards might be going to Joe Gibbs Racing to drive the #20.

The rumor of Edwards to Gibbs is here: http://www.jayski.com/pages/2012teams.htm. Scroll down to #20. And it's not like Roush needs him, he has two up-and-coming stars in Ricky Stenhouse, Jr. and Trevor Bayne. The Cup needs more rookies in my opinion, it's getting kind of stale with the same guys over and over.

I also think that Joey Logano (my driver) has a good shot, he's won the last three races there in the Nationwide series from the pole. I expect at least a top ten from him.

I think I would actually become a fan of Carl Edwards if he went to Gibbs, but I feel he's going to stay with Roush.

Edwards is actually strongly considering going to Gibbs, but only if Gibbs can find sponsorship for a fourth car. Otherwise, he's staying in the Ford camp somewhere. If Carl isn't going, it's probably going to be David Ragan, who is also in a contract year (i think...).

Edwards is actually strongly considering going to Gibbs, but only if Gibbs can find sponsorship for a fourth car. Otherwise, he's staying in the Ford camp somewhere. If Carl isn't going, it's probably going to be David Ragan, who is also in a contract year (i think...).

That's interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if Aflac went with him to Gibbs. What'd you think of the Kentucky race?

I don't usually sit through the whole thing, I usually check the results and highlights on the Speed Report at 7. I just don't have the patience. Can you tell me who won?

Not surprising :P. I actually am surprised at Joey Logano (my driver) for failing to make the top 10 at the track he has dominated in the Nationwide series. Would a 9th place finish be too much to ask? Even Keselowski finished 7th...

lol driving in circles (albeit pulling 1.5+ G's through them) for 4 hours is entertainment to hicks

Do I have to go through the "why NASCAR is a sport" spiel again?!? I already went through this with Forest Grove...:P

Do I have to go through the "why NASCAR is a sport" spiel again?!? I already went through this with Forest Grove...:P

Whatever floats people's boats. I personally don't like NASCAR, but yeah I wouldn't come out like the way that dude said it. I did somewhat enjoy that movie "Days of Thunder" so I appreciated NASCAR a little bit more. Though I suppose that movie is totally different from what NASCAR really is?

Whatever floats people's boats. I personally don't like NASCAR, but yeah I wouldn't come out like the way that dude said it. I did somewhat enjoy that movie "Days of Thunder" so I appreciated NASCAR a little bit more. Though I suppose that movie is totally different from what NASCAR really is?

Everything but the racing action is different than real nascar.

lol driving in circles (albeit pulling 1.5+ G's through them) for 4 hours is entertainment to hicks

There's a lot more to NASCAR than just cars driving around in circles. What makes NASCAR interesting is all the strategy that goes into a race and the side by side action. You have to be able to take a closer look at what's going on in the race instead of merely thinking you're watching cars driving the same car around an oval.

There's a lot more to NASCAR than just cars driving around in circles. What makes NASCAR interesting is all the strategy that goes into a race and the side by side action. You have to be able to take a closer look at what's going on in the race instead of merely thinking you're watching cars driving the same car around an oval.

Also, Joel, would you have the skills to drive a car at 190 mph, at 2 gs, with a 140* cockpit, and not crash? Drivers, especially these days, need to be very fit to do what they do and be good at it.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have no problem with Rowdy. He fills the spot vacated by the great Darrell Waltrip: the stubborn, cocky, loudmouthed, winning, young gun who can't get any serious respect. Guys like Kyle are, as hard as it is to believe, good for the sport. Not only do they keep other drivers on the edge of their seats when they see him in their rearview mirror, they give fans something to do, whether they love them or despise them.

Next up: Indy! Pick your driver, and if your pick gets the closest to the win, you get a million dollar prize! (not really). I'm going for Jeff Gordon, just because of his past success here.

• 3 months later...

Well the 2011 NASCAR season is over. Sorry to bump an old thread:p:eek:. In maybe the closest battle ever in NASCAR Sprint/Winston Cup history as season champion, Stewart wins on a tiebreaker over Carl Edwards at Miami. I admit I not much of a NASCAR fan, but I did watch the last few laps of the race and was fun to watch. Even Michelle Obama was at this race, so it must be a big event lol.

Thus Stewart breaks the 'dynasty' of Jimmie Johnson record breaking hold on the Sprint Cup for the last few years. Any auto racing fans feel free to comment.

Tony Stewart wins race, Sprint Cup title

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread. With that said is anyone watching the 2012 Daytona 500? It has made history for the following reasons. First it the first time it being held in prime time (Monday Night)after being postponed from yesterday (2/26/12)due to heavy rains in central fla. Second the debut of Danica Patrick in the NASCAR tour. I not a big motor sports fan but i was watching it due to the publicty caused by the shift to monday night and Danica debut. In the end Matt Kenseth won the race but this scene will be the most lingering memory of this edition of the so called "Great American" race.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/nascar/story/2012-02-27/wins-daytona-500/53278392/1

So reactions?

Sorry to bump an old thread. With that said is anyone watching the 2012 Daytona 500? It has made history for the following reasons. First it the first time it being held in prime time (Monday Night)after being postponed from yesterday (2/26/12)due to heavy rains in central fla. Second the debut of Danica Patrick in the NASCAR tour. I not a big motor sports fan but i was watching it due to the publicty caused by the shift to monday night and Danica debut. In the end Matt Kenseth won the race but this scene will be the most lingering memory of this edition of the so called "Great American" race.

Matt Kenseth edges Dale Earnhardt Jr. to win Daytona 500

So reactions to the "crash" or the 2012 daytona race?

Here the video.

FULL VERSION Juan Pablo Montoya Crashes into a jet dryer bursts into FLAMES 2012 Daytona 500 - YouTube

It was very scary when it burst into flames and when the flaming jet fuel was leaking down the track. Very fortunate that no one was hurt and that the truck didn't explode.

Well BX41 looks like that crash was a huge factor in Daytona getting among it's highest tv ratings in it's history. I strongly believe within 2-3 years the Daytona 500 will become a permament prime time event.

Daytona 500 night to remember

Archived