What's For Breakfast

Quill Depot

Do they have organic oatmeal in containers larger than 18oz at Whole Foods? I was thinking about having organic oatmeal more often, but trying to keep the cost down at the same time (and generally, large containers are cheaper per-unit than smaller containers)

By the way, I heard of this dish called polenta that you eat for lunch in Italy. How is it? I saw it at Western Beef by the deli counter, and I was wondering if it tasted good. My Italian teacher said that it is a cornmeal dish, so it doesn't sound like something I would like.

To be honest I'm not sure because I usually get the instant oatmeal at Whole Foods and if I recall correctly those are the store brand (365) and I think you get like 8 packets for $3.99 or something. I have not seen anything else in terms of oatmeal aside from that. It may have went up price wise since I haven't bought any oatmeal in a while there. I've been buying either Back to Nature or Bare Naked granola of late and that is loaded in fiber and some of them have monounsatured fat which can be just as healthy as the oatmeal by keeping your cholesterol in check.

As far as polenta goes yeah, it is a dish that is very popular in Northern Italy (especially up in the Lombardia (Lombardy) region where Milan is). The Northerners are sometimes called "polentoni". LOL It is sort of an insult which I won't get into, but they love their polenta up there, usually with cheese. The funny thing is though you can also find polenta in the South as well, as it is popular there as well. If you have eaten grits before it is similar in terms of texture. The reason I bring up grits is because I have had them before and they are also eaten by Italians here and I love them with cheese, so I wouldn't hesitate to eat polenta since they are similar from what I can see in terms of the texture and such.

I actually have saw it made plenty of times different ways (i.e. fried polenta cakes, polenta w/cheese, etc.) but I haven't gotten around to eating it. Most of the Italian places that I've frequented here don't make it, as I have been looking for it. :P There is one snobbish looking Italian place in Midtown that has it on the menu not too far from my office up in the 50s off or Madison and since Restaurant week is coming up I may see if I can stop in there and see if they still have it on the menu. I get $20.00 back on my Amex card if I eat out three times and spend a certain amount during this whole Restaurant week thingy, so since I'm signed up for it, I'll try to get to a few places that I've wanted to eat at that are on Amex's list of vendors that are participating. :cool: I wouldn't necessarily advise on having it just anywhere. The one thing about polenta and grits is that they has to be done just right, otherwise you'll have lumps (if either is cooked the traditional way) and a very crappy end product. :eek:

It's either fried eggs or scrambled with BBQ seasoning

Sausage egg and cheese

Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal with butter

Can't go wrong with pancakes, but I've had to cut back because they're so damn good!

Eggo waffles

Apple Jacks if there's some around

If I'm at the diner, french toast is also a fav

Archived