Fan falls to his death in Texas, trying to catch ball tossed his way at Texas Rangers game

Shortline Bus

I'm still tryna figure out why these fools on SC are sayin that "if Hamilton would've thrown the ball a little higher".... If that's the case, then, you know what... no more tossing fans baseballs... Have any other OF in that situation fire it back to the infield so they can give the ball to the batboy & have him do w/e he'd normally do w/ a foul ball/scuffed ball, etc.....

I think he could have held onto the the green wall if atleast just for a little to change his balance and fall slower and to his feet instead of on his head. And he didnt have a glove on at all, he caught the ball with his bare hands, the dude next to him had the glove. He even pushed himself infront of the dude who was sitting down with the glove who would have caught it safely. That guy had something called common sense, thats why he didnt go crazy for teh ball. Firefighter dude was prob drunk to act like that over a ball.

I'm inclined to believe that man was drunk also, judging by his body language.... that's another reason as to why I don't think he could've held onto a wall for any length of time....

The only person I truly feel sorry for is that little boy

exactly....

The only person I truly feel sorry for is that little boy who watched his father die.

Yeah man thats why I really think this guy is a douche, his poor kid has to have that memory of seeing his father die like that forever. The ball wasnt worth it man, it was his own stupidity that caused his death..

And you know how guilty and horrible Hamilton must feel that he threw the ball up there like that? Hes probably going to have some sort of psychological issue from this for a while

I bet they stop players and ball boys from throwing balls to the crowd from now on

that's a very good point. Of all the people it happened to, this could be very devestating to Hamilton. That guy is finally clean and you have to worry about if this will haunt the guy for the rest of his life - indirectly causing a guy to die.

Totally agreed that this is very sad for the child.

What are you even talking about?

Jesus, you're wrong and you're an insensitive jerk. He's leaning when he loses his balance. He's not "diving head first." It was a freak accident, it's not "funny" and Chrissake it doesn't make him a "douche." You just called a dead man who was killed in an accident, an unintentional accident, a "douche." There's not even any way you could reach that analysis. It's not like he did anything bad to anybody to make him a "douche." No, you're just name-calling for the sake of name-calling. I'm really wondering if you're just one of those internet trolls, making racist and outrageous comments just for the sake of inciting others.

Yeah well people are calling it a "freak" accident. I don't see what is so unusual about it. In the video the guy next to him also tries to reach for the ball, but notice his body position. He was aware enough to know that he could not reach the ball and didn't go practically leaping over the rail for a freaking ball because he knew he was 20 stories high. This is no accident. This is just complete carelessness. Simple as that. And yeah, you have to be pretty stupid to go leaping like that when you're 20 stories high.

I'm sorry but I am sick of incompetent people. People are just too careless these days. It's amazing that these sorts of things don't happen more often.

Jesus, you're wrong and you're an insensitive jerk. He's leaning when he loses his balance. He's not "diving head first." It was a freak accident, it's not "funny" and Chrissake it doesn't make him a "douche." You just called a dead man who was killed in an accident, an unintentional accident, a "douche." There's not even any way you could reach that analysis. It's not like he did anything bad to anybody to make him a "douche." No, you're just name-calling for the sake of name-calling. I'm really wondering if you're just one of those internet trolls, making racist and outrageous comments just for the sake of inciting others.

Why are you getting bent outta shape?

The guy risked his life for a ball you can buy at a sporting goods store or even walmart for that matter. That ball isn't any different, and if it is please tell me why. Yeah its a actual ball thrown from a player, but other then that what makes a baseball worth dying for?

Reminds me of that kid who fell to his death from a press box in Staples Center at a Lakers game. The parents wasn't watching the kid and boom.

The guy is a total idiot and lost his life over nothing.

The Rangers just spent millions on new video and audio enhancements at The Ballpark in Arlington they now need to spend on some enhancments for the upper deck to protect wayward fans from this happening again I watch most games on Fox sports southwest but missed that game

The Rangers just spent millions on new video and audio enhancements at The Ballpark in Arlington they now need to spend on some enhancments for the upper deck to protect wayward fans from this happening again I watch most games on Fox sports southwest but missed that game

No, people just need to use commonsense.

Or higher railings, whichever one....

Or higher railings, whichever one....

Sadly this tragic accident IMO will result in changes, in when players toss balls or fans trying to get 'foul balls' in regards to safety.

I think (B35) might be correct in that at least some teams will install netting/higher railings to prevent this from hopefully happening again.

There been dozens of fans over the last decade alone injured at MLB games trying to get balls. However I think this is the 1st time (I know of)a guy dying from it.:cry:

This is the rare time I will agree with you.

Yeah man thats why I really think this guy is a douche, his poor kid has to have that memory of seeing his father die like that forever. The ball wasnt worth it man, it was his own stupidity that caused his death..

And you know how guilty and horrible Hamilton must feel that he threw the ball up there like that? Hes probably going to have some sort of psychological issue from this for a while

I bet they stop players and ball boys from throwing balls to the crowd from now on

It was a freaking accident bro. He was trying to get a baseball for him and his son, which is what fans have been doing since the Stone Age. Yes, he should have been careful. However, it is still a tragic freak accident.

It was a freaking accident bro. He was trying to get a baseball for him and his son, which is what fans have been doing since the Stone Age. Yes, he should have been careful. However, it is still a tragic freak accident.

It's an accident, and it may be tragic, but it is not a "tragic freak accident"

A tragic freak accident would have been if he remained behind the railing, leaned gently on it...the railing split in half, and he fell and died.

Self awareness is everything. People have to start taking responsibility for their actions somewhere. The guy did something stupid and paid the ultimate price. Sucks for his kid and the whole family...and it's not fair to them, but it's no one's fault but the guy's own.

No one would say it was a "freak accident" if a drunk driver hit a stop sign (F!N! THING CAME OUTTA NOWHERE!!!) so this is no different. If you're drunk, know you're limitations and don't do something stupid and risk your life. And if you do, it's no one's fault but your own.

There are ways to try and catch a foul ball for your son, even standing at the railing, that don't involve risking your life. He could have done any of those, like people have been doing since "the Stone Age" as you call it without putting himself directly in harm's way.

Shannon Stone was an accident. This guy at the HR Derby was nothing but a ******* dumbass.

It was his own stupidity, he was desperate to get the ball. Instead of just letting it go he had to dothe most wreckless thing and throw himself to get the ball. Why are some of you people so adamant about defending this guys reckless behavior? I understand how he wanted to get the ball for his kid or whatever but it doesnt justify his wreckless behavoir.

Case in point, the man wasn't thinking. When that ball was coming, he was blind to everything else, even his own danger. He wasn't stupid, just distracted.

That's the point though. In that circumstance, how could you be blind to everything else that high up??? You can't be oblivious to everything around you just because you want to catch a baseball.

That's like saying it's okay to be distracted by your cell phone vibrating even though you're going 50 on the expressway and could cause massive carnage. There is no excuse or reason to justify his behaviour. There are certain instances where safety has to be the #1 priority at ALL TIMES. Simple as that and for some reason or another people just don't get that. I think it's because they feel as if they're invisible.

It was his own stupidity, he was desperate to get the ball. Instead of just letting it go he had to dothe most wreckless thing and throw himself to get the ball. Why are some of you people so adamant about defending this guys reckless behavior? I understand how he wanted to get the ball for his kid or whatever but it doesnt justify his wreckless behavoir.

Because some people believe that in death, people can do no evil.

If they survive, it's apparently OK to talk about them.

I think it's OK to call a spade a spade in both cases. Both examples of people doing incredibly stupid things which have the potential to cause a lot of "bubble wrap" at stadiums to deny fans smart enough to not be a**holes the opportunity to catch a foul ball or home run WITHOUT risking their lives.

The pussification of America will continue, thanks to idiots and a**holes.

Archived