The Final Space Shuttle Mission. The flight of Atlantis

Shortline Bus

Anyone intrestred in a histroric moment in US/World History as America is about to put a wrap to the landmark 30-year space shuttle program?

The mission of "Atlantis" for what will end a remarkable period that changed mankind forever.

It's suppose to take off today Friday July 8, 2011 but maybe delayed due to rain/thunderstorms. Here story below.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2011-07-07-space-shuttle-atlantis-weather_n.htm

I need to see it. Is it on TV. All channels.

Launch Time (weather permitting) is 1126pm today 7/8/11. I am sure all of the cable news stations i.e CNN, Fox News, MSNBC and also the major networks i.e ABC, NBC and CBS will also join at around 'close to lanuch time' at around 1120pm as well.

It's the closing of a chapter in our space history, B35 via Church, like when the Apollo program ended in the early 1970's.

Today was the final liftoff for a shuttle in the Atlants program after thirty years (of Atlantis).

I don't think it will be the final spaceship, rocket, or shuttle to liftoff.

I saw it on KOLD TV CBS 13 this morning on The Early Show. Liftoff was approximately 8:27am Mountain Standard Time here in Tucson. My friend George came in to watch it with me.

Farewell, Atlantis 1981-2011 and thanks for the memories.

Actually, Atlantis started flying in 1985. It was Columbia that first flew in 1981, then Challenger in 1983, then Discovery in 1984, Atlantis in 1985, and then, to replace Challenger, Endeavour in 1992.

This is the last Space Shuttle Launch people will ever see live. From now on people can only see videos of it launching. As of now there is a proposal for a replacement rocket to the Space Shuttle, but it is only on the drawing board. For the next ten years we might have to rely on the Russians, and the private companies to send our astronauts to space.

This is the last Space Shuttle Launch people will ever see live. From now on people can only see videos of it launching. As of now there is a proposal for a replacement rocket to the Space Shuttle, but it is only on the drawing board. For the next ten years we might have to rely on the Russians, and the private companies to send our astronauts to space.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: I'm crying. ;):(:cry::cry::cry:

Personally while i support space exploring it should from here paid for by most of the globe. An agency like Nasa could still be the main managing group but funding from governments of the world and private business should pay for all future fundings.

The US and most of the world in 2011 is still trying to recover from the worst global recession in decades and has much more important issues to address.

And let billionaries like Bill Gates paid the bill.;)

.....I guess I should have stopped my bus and told all the passengers to take a bow for NASA.

I really dont see anything special about this....

It an age/generational thing. For most people aged 40 and up(especially 'baby boomers) this is a big deal. From 1969 (lance amstrong landing on the moon)1981 apollo and later space shuttle missions were huge news stories in the US and much of the world. Kind of like when apple releases a new i-phone product but bigger.:eek:

This is sort an end of an era for many particuarly baby boomers who were into the new concept of space travel.As someone now in my late 30's age wise, i remember the first space launch in 1981 and it was a big deal. So for anyone born after 1975, this may not be a big deal.

It's Neil, not Lance.

Woops sorry my bad. Another typing screw up.

Anyhow a rare treat for you 'kiddies' since many of you were not alive

in 1981. Here a youtube clip of the first ever space shuttle launch 'Columbia' from April '81 from NBC News.

Archived