A guest columnist in Daily News calls for 'light rail' to replace the 2nd Ave Subway

I just don't think the HBLR will be extended to SI (as some of you other posters suggested)via the Bayonne Bridge because of $$$. IMO it could occur with the new Gothehals(not saying it will happen though)since it could be adding to that new crossing.

And NJT will want NYC or State to pay for it, much like some of us suggested that NJ do back when the idea of extending the (7) to Secaucus was being floated around (I sure hope no one's still pushing that idea around).

That said, I don't think light rail is a good idea for 2nd Avenue, at least not for the entire length of the avenue. First of all, it can't have stops once every two blocks because then it will be no faster than the current M15 local bus. Second of all, trains will be severely limited in length due to the shortness of Manhattan street blocks. Third of all, it would have to be on one side of the street, unless 2nd Avenue is made into a two-way street. Putting the LRT tracks on the left side of 2nd could be problematic due to the access ramps to the Queensboro Bridge and the Midtown Tunnel. You could put them on the right side, but then you have northbound traffic running "contraflow" to the rightmost traffic lane. I'm not even going to go into parking issues.

And NJT will want NYC or State to pay for it, much like some of us suggested that NJ do back when the idea of extending the (7) to Secaucus was being floated around (I sure hope no one's still pushing that idea around).

That said, I don't think light rail is a good idea for 2nd Avenue, at least not for the entire length of the avenue. First of all, it can't have stops once every two blocks because then it will be no faster than the current M15 local bus. Second of all, trains will be severely limited in length due to the shortness of Manhattan street blocks. Third of all, it would have to be on one side of the street, unless 2nd Avenue is made into a two-way street. Putting the LRT tracks on the left side of 2nd could be problematic due to the access ramps to the Queensboro Bridge and the Midtown Tunnel. You could put them on the right side, but then you have northbound traffic running "contraflow" to the rightmost traffic lane. I'm not even going to go into parking issues.

If you're going to look at light rail, to me it would be better to rebuild the 3rd Avenue El to BMT/IND standards. Otherwise, stick to building the SAS.

As for Staten Island, some railway between there and New Jersey makes total sense.

Light Rail!? Light Rail on second avenue....WOW the idea is just horrible. the line can be done but then the (MTA) would have to put Catenary wires in, repair shops depots theres no space to put all of that in. the (MTA) would have to petition city hall and pay money to tear down residential or commercial zones to place shops. and is Second Avenue even large enough to handle 2 way light rail? plus no free transfer between the light rail and train...well a hub can be made but its just to huge. people don't understand that light rail is not possible inside Manhattan Island or any other densely populated area of the city. Light Rail in Staten Island is plausable but no definite idea on where and how to place it. And if the Lexington Avenue line congested why not just send the SAS (T) down all the way to South Ferry? take the old path of the second avenue elevated. both lines would be even in terms of passenger ridership. that would be something to think about plus why not build the SAS in sections, start building from the old (Q) 63rd st connection up till like 86th 72nd streets and lay the tracks place the stations and operate service partially as a shuttle, it would provide some relief even if it runs like 2 or 3 stops. it seems better than just tackling it all at once. it seems to me that the (MTA) is biting more than they can swallow. the SAS has been in production for over 6 Decades give or take a couple of years and yet only shells have been made in the ground. partially because of the Financial issues of that time but even now its would be better to start slow than go for the entire thing. The (T) and (Q) to 125th will most likely not be seen in our lifetime or possibly ever.

They are. What do you think the phases are?

Here is a link.

http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/_index/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/sas_phasing.jpg

Phase 1 is red.

Phase 2 is blue.

Phase 3 is yellow.

Phase 4 is green.

I See there making a connection to the (F) Line at 63rd street. that means the line might be based out of Jamaica.

Archived