Former First Lady, Betty Ford, Dead at 93

mark1447

Betty Ford, wife of former President Gerald Ford and the founder of the Betty Ford Center for substance abuse and addiction, has died at age 93.

In public, she was one of the most visible and outspoken first ladies in history. In private, she triumphed over serious personal adversity.

She was married to Gerald Ford for 58 years. Shortly after becoming president in 1974, Ford said, "I am indebted to no man and to only one woman, my dear wife."

Reaction to Betty Ford's death came in quickly from latter occupants of the White House.

"I was deeply saddened this afternoon when I heard of Betty Ford's death," fellow first lady Nancy Reagan said. "She has been an inspiration to so many through her efforts to educate women about breast cancer and her wonderful work at the Betty Ford Center. She was Jerry Ford's strength through some very difficult days in our country's history, and I admired her courage in facing and sharing her personal struggles with all of us."

"Barbara and I loved Betty Ford very much," President George H.W. Bush's statement said. "She was a wonderful wife and mother; a great friend; and a courageous first lady. No one confronted life's struggles with more fortitude or honesty, and as a result, we all learned from the challenges she faced. The Betty Ford Center, which already has helped change the lives of thousands of people, will be her lasting legacy of care and concern. We were proud to know her. We were proud to call her a friend. We will miss her very much."

More here:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/lady-betty-ford-dead-93/story?id=3348308

Just saw on it on the CNN website. Wow what a busy news week. Betty Ford deserves props for removing the stagima of alcholoics/drug addicts to get life saving treatment. It took guts for her to get help for her drinking problems as the First Lady of America that saved her life. Thus created the Betty Ford Center.

Still sad news. RIP Mrs. Ford.

Archived