Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Should they close a line for construction for long periods of time,

chrisliz09

this has been bring up on the news a few months ago and by the MTA boss, do you thing instead of just doing construction over the weekends and over night, should they just close a line down so the work can get done faster and more complete>? i think they should because for one it takes so long too fix a line when you only have a few days to work. what do you think they should do

I suppose if the MTA could get the cooperation of the DOT to create temporary dedicated lanes for massive shuttle busing efforts I suppose it could work. But you can't shut down a line for too long.

No. There are people that uses the subway during late night and weekends. Are you going to leave them out in the cold?

And what if a line had to be shut down due to a safety issue for a long period of time? They would have to figure out something right? Therefore I would support them shutting down an entire line to get the work done quickly. The problem is with the (MTA) is no accountability so it would probably still take too long and come in over budget. ;)

No. There are people that uses the subway during late night and weekends. Are you going to leave them out in the cold?
we already do work over the weekends and latenighs, what i was asking was should a major area be closed and replaced by shuttle buses too finish faster and have the line up and running with out having too close it for weeks at a time like they are doing now, i think 3 days isnt enough time too work and than have too keep on doing it for weeks at a time.

You better have a damn good reason to shut an entire trunk line down for an extended period of time (ie: tunnel/station collapse, flooding of epic proportions, etc...)

But if you do shut down for a while, there will be people who would befefit from it...bus drivers. Hello overtime :cool:

its totally unfeasable (sp)........the amount of pple that use that ANY particluar line during the day would make things way toooo out of control.. i def. think ALL maintaince should def. make better use of GOs. I think GOs are the best way to do maintaince espcially this way you utilize all the man power for the actual maintaince and not for freakin flagging

Over weekend and overnight GOs are suffiecent ..shutting a whole line down for even a day i think is toooo out of the ball park

The (MTA) does that already.

And what if a line had to be shut down due to a safety issue for a long period of time? They would have to figure out something right? Therefore I would support them shutting down an entire line to get the work done quickly. The problem is with the (MTA) is no accountability so it would probably still take too long and come in over budget. :(

There actually would be increased pressure for the (MTA) to make sure that the job is done in an expeditious manner, even if it still will be over budget.

this has been bring up on the news a few months ago and by the MTA boss, do you thing instead of just doing construction over the weekends and over night, should they just close a line down so the work can get done faster and more complete>? i think they should because for one it takes so long too fix a line when you only have a few days to work. what do you think they should do

Unless its an extra-ordinary circumstance (tunnel stability issue, flood, act of god) any weekday shutdown would be a disaster for many obvious reasons. Can you imagine Queens residents not having (7) service and using a shuttle bus for an entire week? This plan reeks of short sighted thinking.

What puzzles me is how in the old days of the IRT, BMT, and IND, they never seemed to shut down lines entirely for maintenance. They seemed to perform maintenance while service for the most part was running, although modified when necessary. It seems that this phenomenom of total shutdowns even on weekends has only been going on since MTA takeover of the NYCTA.

Even though I'm assuming our OP was excluding Rush Hour as part of the times where these shutdowns would take place (you were, right!?!?! *eyes glow red while glaring*) I still say no. It's already pretty inconvenient with some of the GOs. Plus I honestly don't think street traffic could handle bustitutions on that scale.

Guest lance25
Do that during the rush hour, and there will be chaos.

Forget chaos, the masses will come to the (MTA)'s offices with torches and pitchforks if they shut down large portions of lines, whether it's rush hour or not.

Forget chaos, the masses will come to the (MTA)'s offices with torches and pitchforks if they shut down large portions of lines, whether it's rush hour or not.

Now Lance, be realistic. These are modern, civilized times.

:) They'd come with guns, knives, bricks, metal bats and broken off street signs instead.

Guest lance25
Now Lance, be realistic. These are modern, civilized times.

:) They'd come with guns, knives, bricks, metal bats and broken off street signs instead.

True. ;)

On the other hand, while shutting down a line entirely would be a major hassle for all, it wouldn't be nearly as bad as when the entire system was shut down for a few days during transit strikes. Somehow, we managed to survive for that duration....

In other words for example... Shut down the entire brighton trunk for two or three weeks, running nancy service thru stillwell and terminate at brighton beach, (Q) to prospect park. Take the set of weeks, finish all the remaining stations, remove the hard rail and restore thru service on four tracks, and after three weeks brighton express service can resume...

In other words for example... Shut down the entire brighton trunk for two or three weeks, running nancy service thru stillwell and terminate at brighton beach, (Q) to prospect park. Take the set of weeks, finish all the remaining stations, remove the hard rail and restore thru service on four tracks, and after three weeks brighton express service can resume...

Dosen't sound too bad....people could take the (F) or (2)(5).Just my takes.

i see that it takes more time too work when they have too keep stopping for the work week or work day, if they had time too really work the contractors and the MTA would be able too get al hole lot more done and faster what would take 3 weekends could take just one or so weeks too fully finish up

Archived