Should they close a line for construction for long periods of time,

chrisliz09

Guest lance25
thats not true at all because ive seen when we had a suspention of service some how the rush hour didnt make any difference, its happened alot of times and with the new info boards people would just go a different way

Outside of the station rehabilitation projects and the work around E 180 St, when has a line been shut down due to scheduled work during the rush hours?

Outside of the station rehabilitation projects and the work around E 180 St, when has a line been shut down due to scheduled work during the rush hours?
i didnt say they did that i was saying a few times when they had no service on the wor line due too power outage and a police investigation at the rush hour didnt yhave mush a problem at all i was shocked but it had happened a few times

Guest lance25

That's different. Unforeseen occurrences can and will shut down a line depending on the severity of the problem (i.e., you can't run trains on a line that doesn't have any power). There isn't much you can do about those situations. However, you just can't knowingly shut down a line because of construction just because you can during an emergency.

I was there during that "police activity" in the Bronx that shut down the #2 and #5 lines in the afternoon just before the rush hours started. There were loads of people at the 149th Street-Grand Concourse station trying to take street level buses to their destinations. The station entrances and platforms were very crowded, and there was a good deal of confusion.

Especially when there is no clue as to when the situation will be rectified, returned to normal.

How does one define "not much of a problem" as they are stuck in street traffic attempting to get to an appointment downtown, and getting there an hour late, simply due to the subway stoppage? The entire transit trip taking double the time that it should normally.

How does one define "not much of a problem" when they contact the MTA and are given the wrong information about what services would be running where.

How does one define " not much of a problem" when the transit workers can not give the riders clear alternative travel methods to reach their destinations, cause the spending of extra subway fares to reach the same places

Even in "orderly" G.O.'s where there is a bus substitution, the riders can suffer problems and inconveniences that can amount to real problems. Many of our subway lines do not actually "follow the streets", and very few bus lines follow subway lines the whole route, at alone cross boroughs. Just some things to keep in mind.

Mike

That's different. Unforeseen occurrences can and will shut down a line depending on the severity of the problem (i.e., you can't run trains on a line that doesn't have any power). There isn't much you can do about those situations. However, you just can't knowingly shut down a line because of construction just because you can during an emergency.
the problem here is we have many ways too get around this city, ive seen a lot of times when things happen like emergency's peole have too go another way. we can if needed too, go another way there are many ways too get around thats the best thing about nyc only problem is the people cant ever be inconvenienced just a min.

the problem here is we have many ways too get around this city, ive seen a lot of times when things happen like emergency's peole have too go another way. we can if needed too, go another way there are many ways too get around thats the best thing about nyc only problem is the people cant ever be inconvenienced just a min.

alright now, which is it....

Missing the Staten Island Ferry by just a minute means a 15 or 20 minute wait for the next boat during the rush hours, a 30 minute wait during most of the week non-rush hours, and a 60 minute wait during the nights on weekends, and very late nights on weekdays. Yes, those are the penalties.

Of course during those waiting periods, there's no other way to leave Staten Island in a timely period, or that get's one to Manhattan in a timely period. (Staten Island street buses and SIR will have left the terminal, and the next buses or trains are 20 and 30 minutes away. In order to get to Brooklyn from the terminal one needs both a train and a bus.)

Of course it should be mentioned that there are NO direct buses (regular or express bus) from or to Manhattan from the Staten Island Ferry Terminal.

Nor is there a direct bus to or from Staten Island Ferry terminal that takes one to Brooklyn, when there's problems with the boats. The only remaining options are to wait for the next boat, call whomever you were going to meet or whatever you were going to do and cancel, or beg forgiveness for being late.

So yes, missing something by "just a minute" can indeed have a major penalty!

Mike

Also, the bizarre part about the (M) GO planned for a couple of weekends is that there are no shuttle buses south of Myrtle-Wyckoff (L)!!! Passengers are being told to take the B54. Last time they did this, for an emergency drill, buses were provided the whole way.
It looks like they've completely cancelled that, and are instead squeezing all the work into the middays!:mad:

(Wasn't it supposed to be this past weekend? It's not this coming weekend either, and the month will be over).

There are days when regardless of one's own efforts that the local buses, subways, G.O. related bus substitutions, and the SIR conspire to miss the ferry. Successful trips do not always depended upon one's own individual initiative and fortitude, it would be nice to think that way, but it does not happen that way in the real world.

There are several buses that run every 20 minutes, that are programmed to MISS the ferry when it runs at every 30 minutes (most of the time). Plenty of buses on Staten Island use the posted schedules as mere suggestions. Standing on the street corners while waiting for a bus to the ferry too often what the schedules say, and when the buses actually arrive have almost no relationship to each other.

Many Staten Islanders have to take a bus or SIR to make the boats, and subways or buses in Manhattan to their destinations. Making many commutes 60-90 minutes long, if not easily 2 hours - especially on the weekends.

Waiting for the boat in the ferry terminal - actually means that one is NOT MOVING closer to their destination but waiting to move - that waiting time after a while is not productive.

It is not until one has actually reached the Ferry Terminal that any word of boat troubles are announced. There are plenty of times when folks have gotten to the terminals well in advice of a boat's scheduled leaving time, only for that boat to be cancelled, or delayed. Leaving very few options to reach one's destination in a timely manner.

A late boat can cascade into several other late boats - as that boat and crew is needed for other return trips. The ferry system is not like the subways.

Just thought you should know.

Mike

And 90-minute commutes are a normal fact of life when living in the Suburbs (yes, I call SI the Suburbs based on its segregation and distance from the City Center). I had to deal with that in Rockland County having to take a Bus to the Train to the Subway.

From another message: "there are many ways too get around thats the best thing about nyc only problem is the people cant ever be inconvenienced just a min."

I was responding to the statement that "folks can't ever be inconvenienced just a minute" - as well as the statement that there are "so many ways to get around NYC".

As I am sure that you are aware, and would agree that missing your commuter bus or train by "just a minute" (by whatever means or for whatever reason) can have a huge negative impact on your trip.

That at times, there just are not "many ways to get around" between one destination and another destination, given the available options at hand. That the statement, "just take the next one" hides the real impact and the reality of the trip.

For a long time I worked in Brooklyn on Saturdays, and work ended at 7pm. There were two choices - haul buttocks to the ferry terminal for the 7:30pm boat by using the subway which took 35 to 40 minutes, or just get there and wait for the 8:30pm boat. It was so much fun waiting in the terminal for the 8:30pm boat, and for there to be an announcement that the boat was cancelled and that the next boat was 9:30pm.

(While the ferry terminals are nicer places now, they were not always so nice. However the Manhattan terminal could really use a lot more seats.)

Of course after getting on the boat for the 25-30 minute ride to Staten Island there was still the bus home. So most Saturday nights after leaving work at 7pm, if everything went as scheduled I would not get home before 9:20 or 9:30pm. And of course if the 8:30pm boat was cancelled, getting home almost close to 10:30 or something to 11pm.

Please note that if the boats are late arriving to the Staten Island terminal, often the buses (and the SIR) that would be waiting there have left, meaning a long wait for the next round of buses (or SIR train) to leave.

The weekend night ferry schedule has remained the same for the past 35 years. Something I did not know about until after moving to Staten Island. The NYC City Council voted a few years ago to add boats to the weekend/night schedule, and Mayor Bloomberg vetoed the unanimous bill.

Just my thoughts.

Mike

Archived