MCI loses NJT bid, guess who wins...

The Real

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those aint bad looking. But I still cant picture NJT w/o a MCI on full service routes, especially the Howell routes.

Those Route 9 commuters are gonna throw a fit when don't get their MCIs....maybe this is (NJT)'s secret plan to force more commuters on Academy.

All must now bow to DESIGNLINE muhahaaaa:):tup::tup:

photo16.jpg183610_131595476912928_100001874304533_206819_2958945_n-1.jpgphoto43.jpg

I only rode that bus once and quite frankly I was really sad to see it go. ENY got it right, though: 2011-2012 is going to be utterly nuts. NJT has been using MCIs since before my parents met, and given all else I figured it would be either MCIs or just maybe X3s. Now this is just... wow. Life really is stranger than Photoshop.

I wonder if it was the replacement parts why NJT went with DL; price wise.

I'll be honest, everybody here knows that I'm a MCI Fanboy, but the build quality has gone south since the debacle with the G series. At Bonanza we got 4 brand new D4505s last week. Two of them showed up with the HVAC systems not working, the W/C lift in one is INOP and the power mirrors in all 4 don't work. While I would have sent all 4 back to MCI and have them do the warranty work, we need them in service so our mechanics spent over a week getting the buses ready for service. At nearly 500K a bus, we should be getting quality buses and we didn't this time. This is why Prevost and Van Hool will continue to dominate because MCI is still letting stuff slide.

I'll be honest, everybody here knows that I'm a MCI Fanboy, but the build quality has gone south since the debacle with the G series. At Bonanza we got 4 brand new D4505s last week. Two of them showed up with the HVAC systems not working, the W/C lift in one is INOP and the power mirrors in all 4 don't work. While I would have sent all 4 back to MCI and have them do the warranty work, we need them in service so our mechanics spent over a week getting the buses ready for service. At nearly 500K a bus, we should be getting quality buses and we didn't this time. This is why Prevost and Van Hool will continue to dominate because MCI is still letting stuff slide.

Some of our 7100s #7183-84-85; those buses have had engine overheating problems since they came from MCI. 7185 broke down at PABT so many times.

Those aint bad looking. But I still cant picture NJT w/o a MCI on full service routes, especially the Howell routes.

Those Howell riders will not be happy. Many will opt for Academy. They dont want to ride a transit bus with soft seats, thats why the MTA got rid of the suburban design and went with MCI's.

Suburban type buses, they may as well have just ordered CNG NABI Suburbans if they gona do all that; or just get rid of the CNG program period. The current cng 40s run like crap.

Well they better hope this works out cause if not they gona be sorry they didnt go with MCIs.

They dont seem to run that bad from what I've seen, and I've had them on the 67 and 139. They are kinda slow in summer, thats it.

A suburban style transit bus will be a DISASTER for Rt.9 commuters. They will opt for Academy instead and then ridership on the 139 will plummet. Perhaps thats what (NJT) wants so they can make cuts?

Also they say they will be able to seat more, how can they with a transit style bus? It would have to be 45ft and I havent seen 45ft style transits, only cruisers. And the article states they will be cruisers.

But when NJT gets rid of those CNG MCI's well bad glad to get them in Nassau, Veolia could use them for an express bus style service.

Some of our 7100s #7183-84-85; those buses have had engine overheating problems since they came from MCI. 7185 broke down at PABT so many times.

I've seen 7185 breakdown too. Luckily none of those 319 buses have broke down on me yet, but it sure does get hot in the back in summer.

Also I've noticed some sluggishness in the summer. Last time I was out there the driver lowered the a/c for some reason, perhaps the bus was overheating? I believe it was 7185 too.

The newer ones dont seem to ride as smooth for sure.

They dont seem to run that bad from what I've seen, and I've had them on the 67 and 139. They are kinda slow in summer, thats it.

A suburban style transit bus will be a DISASTER for Rt.9 commuters. They will opt for Academy instead and then ridership on the 139 will plummet. Perhaps thats what (NJT) wants so they can make cuts?

Also they say they will be able to seat more, how can they with a transit style bus? It would have to be 45ft and I havent seen 45ft style transits, only cruisers. And the article states they will be cruisers.

But when NJT gets rid of those CNG MCI's well bad glad to get them in Nassau, Veolia could use them for an express bus style service.

The 139 makes money they have to be on CRACK to want it's ridership to drop!!!!!

sorry to burst ur bubble but not a single route in nassau alone even with extensions would warrant a CNG MCI. However if the rte were to be a suffolk /nassau rte or extension of S92 after splitting in 2 rtes deeper into islip then it may work. Even with that LI isn't cruiser friendly. Dutchess would love em for rte 9 service there but the bus rtes will have to be extended beyond poughkeepsie to warrant MCI

Yes they must definitely b on crack. The 139 always has so much ridership especially after midnight. Them lines b long as hell when I walk past them to catch my bus I b like damn they gonna be packed like sardines in that mci. Buts Its the damn board of directors at transit headquarters that are making these bad decisions & purchases. They are really losing it up there.

I mean the bad thing about this is the fact that it's Designline... I never liked their design line and never will and I don't like how they went to the dumps and NJT went with them. However the really good thing now people can SHUT THE HECK UP about NJT being 100% NABI and MCI after the order is complete (completly ignoring the Neo Artics for some reason) cause now there will be Desiginlines in the mix.

I have mixed feelings about the resulting products but I approve this change.

What I think the situation is with these DesignLine buses.

They are going to make Low Floor Suburban(Without back doors)

Most likely they will see service on Howell's 67,130,133,138,139 routes because the CNGs were used the most on those routes.

@553 Bridgeton: I can't imagine it either. Me going to the city from Old Bridge P/R and getting on a DesignLine bus instead of an MCI. It wont be the same.

Those Howell riders will not be happy. Many will opt for Academy. They dont want to ride a transit bus with soft seats, thats why the MTA got rid of the suburban design and went with MCI's.

MCIs are overkill on almost all of the express routes.

It would have to be 45ft and I havent seen 45ft style transits, only cruisers.

I take it you've never seen the NABI Compobus:

LACMTA_NABI_8001.jpg

Also, a point I'll like to make to all. The bus hasn't even been seen or a design released yet. Chill out fellas. :cool:

LACMTA_NABI_8001.jpg

Also, a point I'll like to make to all. The bus hasn't even been seen or a design released yet. Chill out fellas. :cool:

I'd love to see that type of bus on the 1 or the 84 Bergenline or even the 87. Those lines can use it .

I'm just mixed about it. Honestly, I was for the NABI's because I didn't like using the Metro B's (most of them) since they were so damn slow. When I got 3208, my opinion changed greatly. Then later when the NABI's came in and all the B's were gone, I was enjoying everything about them, except a few things: The register was so low, and the driver's side mirror was so high. I wish they had those mirrors set like the Bee-Line mirrors, where it would be more easier to see. Either way, I gotta see this Designline Cruiser because I too agree that if Howell get suburban buses on the inter-commuter lines, there will be more complaints from that garage than ever.

LACMTA_NABI_8001.jpg

you do realize most express buses are medium long-haul right???

you do realize most express buses are medium long-haul right???

Yes they must definitely b on crack. The 139 always has so much ridership especially after midnight. Them lines b long as hell when I walk past them to catch my bus I b like damn they gonna be packed like sardines in that mci. Buts Its the damn board of directors at transit headquarters that are making these bad decisions & purchases. They are really losing it up there.

I doubt the bus is a transit bus the contract clearly says the buses are cruisers meaning they will be coaches!!!!!! But we can't judge till we see them I know NJT isn't that stupid there has to be more to it than just what we see here. I see a hidden strategy behind the order plus if designline makes sexy transit buses just imaging what they can do in terms of cruisers you never know. I have a feeling they may end up in south jersey first. The board of directors aren't perfect and may not always be smart especially with their lack of marketing of the 410 and other high potential routes. 884 was one before it got axed if you really look at it closely it actually mimicked the travel patterns of the locals meaning if marketed better it's ridership would have been much higher than it was before getting axed. And they continue to fund useless shuttles that don't mix with travel patterns of the ppl then whine when it's ridership sucks. MCAT much look at their schedules then try and match em with the suburban buses and NJT trains. They say they are feeders BUT their schedules just don't mesh a huge FAIL on NJT's end cause they added a shuttle after the cuts!!!!!

The purchase of 76 CNG cruiser buses will replace an aging fleet, improve service reliability and increase revenue due to higher seating capacity. The new buses will be compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) mandates and will also incorporate technologies to reduce exhaust emissions as prescribed by the Clean Air Act Amendment. With the completion of this purchase, the average fleet age for all buses will be six years.

Authorization to enter into a contract (No. 11-047) with DesignLine USA of Charlotte, North Carolina, for the purchase of 76 CNG cruiser buses plus spare parts at a cost not to exceed $45,562,284, plus five percent for contingencies, subject to the availability of funds.

(Source: NJT)

Evidence of award:

http://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=BidResultsTo&pkId=4365

http://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=BoardAgendaTo

What is NJT going to be the the test TA of a new bus ? What a mistake.

I doubt the bus is a transit bus the contract clearly says the buses are cruisers meaning they will be coaches!!!!!! But we can't judge till we see them I know NJT isn't that stupid there has to be more to it than just what we see here. I see a hidden strategy behind the order plus if designline makes sexy transit buses just imaging what they can do in terms of cruisers you never know. I have a feeling they may end up in south jersey first. The board of directors aren't perfect and may not always be smart especially with their lack of marketing of the 410 and other high potential routes. 884 was one before it got axed if you really look at it closely it actually mimicked the travel patterns of the locals meaning if marketed better it's ridership would have been much higher than it was before getting axed. And they continue to fund useless shuttles that don't mix with travel patterns of the ppl then whine when it's ridership sucks. MCAT much look at their schedules then try and match em with the suburban buses and NJT trains. They say they are feeders BUT their schedules just don't mesh a huge FAIL on NJT's end cause they added a shuttle after the cuts!!!!!

Are you brain dead? These new buses are CNGs; meaning they will be running out of Howell only. They are replacing the MCI CNGs.

Archived