MCI loses NJT bid, guess who wins...

The Real

The likelihood of this happening is 30%. I'm not really concerned that they awarded a bid. They are going to lose too many seats to make it worthwhile with a low floor bus. I also doubt this is a new bus because transit agency specs make bidding a new design difficult. It is likely that the bus is an EcoSmart IV derivative.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it too late to hit up MCI and maybe ask for a different bid, or is the contract complete and DesignLine is already making the new buses? I mean, LOW FLOOR on the 130's?!?! REALLY?!?!?! Um........anyone have any shit that they wanna throw to this big fan here? Because that is what gonna happen very soon when those puppies come out. When are they getting here anyway?

Is it too late to hit up MCI and maybe ask for a different bid, or is the contract complete and DesignLine is already making the new buses? I mean, LOW FLOOR on the 130's?!?! REALLY?!?!?! Um........anyone have any shit that they wanna throw to this big fan here? Because that is what gonna happen very soon when those puppies come out. When are they getting here anyway?

I'm interested in how the seating arrangement is going to be & how much isle space there will be on these. Maybe its just me but I find this to be a rather interesting order (except for people going apeshit on the 139 and the other PABT routes). The way they set up the NABI seating was a disaster imo.

Last week, I saw one of those NABIs on the 111, I couldn't believe my eyes, that shit was full to the point where people were sticking to the windows! The return trip must've been fun with all them shoppers....lmao.../sarcasm

NABI on the 111? Wasnt we joking about that in the chatbox one night l0l? Thats crazy; that must have been a interesting trip for that driver!

NABI on 111 poor driver!!!! I actually feel sorry for the passengers. If I was there I would have tried for 115 if both showed up. NABI on 111 I wonder what they were smokin

NABI on the 111? Wasnt we joking about that in the chatbox one night l0l? Thats crazy; that must have been a interesting trip for that driver!

Thats weird, I thought Ironbound had enough D4000s. Why are they using NABIs on 111-117 routes.

Back to this DesignLine thing. Maybe this wont be so bad, It would be good to have something other than motor coaches running on Rte. 9. Well now if I wanna ride a new transit bus, the good thing is I dont have to go up to Newark/Jersey City to do it. And besides, this is NJT's First Low Floor running on Route 9. We dont know what to expect. Thats why were going huh?? about it.

I think people are going HUH and WTF about it since DesignLine has been in the news for bankruptcy and other issues. I read that even MTA cancelled on their stuff. Mostly, we're wondering why NJT would go for a company that has little to no credibility with inter-commuter routes and cruisers when they could of contacted MCI or even Prevost, companies with proven records of their ability to perform.

I think people are going HUH and WTF about it since DesignLine has been in the news for bankruptcy and other issues. I read that even MTA cancelled on their stuff. Mostly, we're wondering why NJT would go for a company that has little to no credibility with inter-commuter routes and cruisers when they could of contacted MCI or even Prevost, companies with proven records of their ability to perform.

I think DesignLine is trying to make a comeback for the screw up they did with (MTA) but its not really DesignLine's fault b/c of the turbines in their Hybrids!

I think DesignLine is trying to make a comeback for the screw up they did with (MTA) but its not really DesignLine's fault b/c of the turbines in their Hybrids!

But NJT is not the place to make a comeback. I understand and all that peeps wana see something other then MCIs, but if your a driver and work outta Howell this is going to be a disaster. Route 9 is 100% MCIs for a reason. Prevost would even did the job, but they went to some cheap company because the CNG tanks can last 20years. I can bet any amount of money that wont be the case. I feel NJT should have atleast took a demo bus from them first before you jump into buying a bus from a company thats having trouble in the american market. They should have just axed the CNG program anyways......

We were, and it became a reality! I wish I had gotten a freaking pic but all them PABT security peeps were up and around there, just can't be ****** with.

We were, and it became a reality! I wish I had gotten a freaking pic but all them PABT security peeps were up and around there, just can't be ****** with.

I remember that chatbox session also.... and the fact that NJT actually went ahead & put NABI's on the freakin 111....

I had one on the 115 2 weeks ago.... the looks on the ppl's faces that were waitin for the bus (PABT) were priceless... one lady said "what happened to the bus".... me & two other guys said "yeh, this is it" (I said it w/ a bit of laughter in my voice, the other two guys were disgusted).... I rode it out to 5 points....

* Rahway's 5 points, not the one out in Nassau county obviously... lol....

I remember that chatbox session also.... and the fact that NJT actually went ahead & put NABI's on the freakin 111....

I had one on the 115 2 weeks ago.... the looks on the ppl's faces that were waitin for the bus (PABT) were priceless... one lady said "what happened to the bus".... me & two other guys said "yeh, this is it" (I said it w/ a bit of laughter in my voice, the other two guys were disgusted).... I rode it out to 5 points....

* Rahway's 5 points, not the one out in Nassau county obviously... lol....

This was last weekend (I'm assuming thats why they threw one on the line), I was with a friend and we were waiting for the 111 and then a 5600 pulled up, I was like "NOPE, SORRY, WAITING FOR THE NEXT ONE!" and my friend was like why?!" I'm like sit back and look. Soon enough, the bus had standees close to the door! We were both like SMH!!

Even though we wasted an hour, we got on a 7700 and there were much less people and returning back was on an MCI. Saw that same NABI later in the day and that shit was just packed! I really don't understand why they dont send 45fters to Ironbound and run them on the 111, that route gets dumb packed and sees standees pretty often. Can't say the headways justify anything because the headways makes things worse! When you have standees on a cruiser going to and from Jersey Gardens, that is a problem....

That's kind hard to believe that they would allow a 5600's 0n the 111 by it being that has a damn bike rack in the front since Port Authority Police don't allow them to go in thru the Lincoln Tunnel with that equipment hanging in the front bc the driver can get a hefty ticket for that. Why u think that Hilton, Fairview. Greenville, & Meadowlands don't put the bike racks in front of suburban nabi's like Market St. did with theirs.

That's kind hard to believe that they would allow a 5600's 0n the 111 by it being that has a damn bike rack in the front since Port Authority Police don't allow them to go in thru the Lincoln Tunnel with that equipment hanging in the front bc the driver can get a hefty ticket for that. Why u think that Hilton, Fairview. Greenville, & Meadowlands don't put the bike racks in front of suburban nabi's like Market St. did with theirs.

But eventually, Hilton will be getting transit to replace their Nova's, like Greenville which already has some bike racks on their buses, and the Meadowlands. Then what?

What I dont get is they have to put a NABI or Nova on a route that shouldnt be running them. I mean I see them all the time putting Novas on the 552/553/559 and then I get back to the garage and see MCIs on chyll mode.

The times I been in the Newton Av Garage MCIs is all over the place and yet they have to put a NABI on the 317. Washington Twp aint no saint either. They be putting NABIs on the 401/402/406/408/410/412. And then I come to find out they want more D4000s on the 400, but the NABIs was suppose to be on that route 24/7, but yet the 403 hasnt ran a D4000s since the flexs

Now Ironbound; a NABI on the 111/115 I mean seriously, those Hybrids(4004-4007) only run during rush hours, so you mean to tell me they couldnt throw them on those routes for a single RT. There is no reason a NABI should be on the 111/115 or any 11X route for that matter.

Now Ironbound; a NABI on the 111/115 I mean seriously, those Hybrids(4004-4007) only run during rush hours, so you mean to tell me they couldnt throw them on those routes for a single RT. There is no reason a NABI should be on the 111/115 or any 11X route for that matter.

I heard they have a hard time keeping 4004-4007 running. But I agree....why they put a NABI or Nova on a run that requires a MCI boggles the mind. But then again I don't get why Fairview has bathroom equipped D4000s?

Going back to topic: Does anybody think that this whole thing is just (NJT) posturing to get the price down from MCI? They can always say that the Designline wasn't working out and voila....76 MCI CNGs! Something about this whole deal doesn't feel right....why not just get CNG NABIs, why buy a bus sight unseen.....this is gonna end badly and unfortunately the Howell guys are gonna be in the middle

I heard they have a hard time keeping 4004-4007 running. But I agree....why they put a NABI or Nova on a run that requires a MCI boggles the mind. But then again I don't get why Fairview has bathroom equipped D4000s?

Going back to topic: Does anybody think that this whole thing is just (NJT) posturing to get the price down from MCI? They can always say that the Designline wasn't working out and voila....76 MCI CNGs! Something about this whole deal doesn't feel right....why not just get CNG NABIs, why buy a bus sight unseen.....this is gonna end badly and unfortunately the Howell guys are gonna be in the middle

This is not the first time an agency has ordered a bus "unseen." Every new model of bus that comes out has to start off somewhere. Most all TA's have done it one time or another.

As far as the hybrids go, NJT isn't really knowledgeable on the GM-Allison setup, as they are the only ones they have ever had. They only have 4 of them, and they are used to working on straight diesels. The reason why they chose not to keep RTS hybrids 4001-4003 was because of maintenance issues, and costs. The buses themselves performed great.

And yes, many times when a TA goes with a low bidder after years of exclusivity, pricing is usually a factor to some extent!

BZ has a point here. Im sitting here and thinking about it just doesnt seem right. Most of the mechanics know those MCIs like the back of there hand. Why switch it up out of the blue. I have to busfann one day the 139; maybe 2m. I have to hear what these Howell guys think of this. Maybe MCI can come back and give a better price; you never know whats going on behind closed doors. And as BZ said, those Howell guys are gona be right in the middle of this debacle if it turns into one.

As for Fairview with those bathroom D4000s a Fairview driver told me because of the distance, which is bullshyt because a route like the 317 is basically 4hrs long needs bathroom buses.

.As for Fairview with those bathroom D4000s a Fairview driver told me because of the distance, which is bullshyt because a route like the 317 is basically 4hrs long needs bathroom buses.

Agree with you 100%. There is not one Fairview route that demands a bathroom bus. Those buses should be in S. Jersey on routes like the 31xs and the 55Xs.

agreed to a degree I won't detail why though.

Then why bother to post what you just said? Lemme tell you this; How in the hell do you justify putting bathroom buses on a route that is near where in length time wise like alot of the S.Jersey routes.

But NJT is not the place to make a comeback. I understand and all that peeps wana see something other then MCIs, but if your a driver and work outta Howell this is going to be a disaster. Route 9 is 100% MCIs for a reason. Prevost would even did the job, but they went to some cheap company because the CNG tanks can last 20years. I can bet any amount of money that wont be the case. I feel NJT should have atleast took a demo bus from them first before you jump into buying a bus from a company thats having trouble in the american market. They should have just axed the CNG program anyways......

Well I do agree to what you saying and I thought NJT wasn't getting anymore CNG buses?

Archived