Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Promotion??


+Young+

Recommended Posts

How long do you have to work for NYC (eg Police Officer, Traffic Enforcement Agent, etc.) before you can take a promotion test for NYC Transit?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe you have to actually work for NYC Transit first in order to take their promotion exams. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to the best of my knowledge to get into NYC Transit you'll need to take an open competitive exam for an entry level position like station agent, conductor, etc. Police officer and traffic enforcement agent are NYPD jobs, not NYC Transit. You cannot be "promoted" into NYC Transit from NYPD or vice versa. You can only be promoted to higher level positions within the agency you work for. Promotion exams for NYPD include promotion to Sergeant, Lieutenant, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

91939 is correct, you must be directly hired by NYCT in order to be eligible for their promotional exams. You must have at least one day in an eligible title in order to take a promotional exam for an hourly (non-supervisory) position, one year for a supervisory position (some titles require two years).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, according to what Zman said, in order to take a promotional exam for Conductor or another hourly (non-supervisory) position, (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808094000.pdf), I must have at least one day in an eligible title (Police Officer, Traffic Enforcement Agent, School Safety Agent, etc.).

 

Is this correct or incorrect? The reason why I'm asking is because I really want to work for NYCT in one way or another and if things go well, I may be getting a job soon with another city agency.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, according to what Zman said, in order to take a promotional exam for Conductor or another hourly (non-supervisory) position, (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808094000.pdf), I must have at least one day in an eligible title (Police Officer, Traffic Enforcement Agent, School Safety Agent, etc.).

 

Is this correct or incorrect? The reason why I'm asking is because I really want to work for NYCT in one way or another and if things go well, I may be getting a job soon with another city agency.

 

No, to promote to any tittle within NYCT, you MUST be an NYCT employee first. Police officer, traffic agent, and school safety agents are NYPD employees and CAN NOT be promoted to an NYCT tittle.

 

If you take a job with another NYCT agency, you can only promote within that agency. If you want to work for transit, you must be hired by transit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

K, now I understand. Someone once told me that you can take promotional exams for different agencies. I guess that person is wrong.

 

Very disappointed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How would you be able to take a promotional exam if you are not hired by that agency ??

You have to actually work for that agency in order for you to promote to another title

In that agency . There is no cross promotions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually I got a no-motion when I got made an SLD.

 

Can you elaborate please? I don't understand what 'no-motion' and 'SLD' mean. Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How would you be able to take a promotional exam if you are not hired by that agency ??

You have to actually work for that agency in order for you to promote to another title

In that agency . There is no cross promotions

 

That makes a lot of sense. My father said to me that by being a Police Officer (or another NYPD job) would help me get into Transit, since Transit will look into my employment history. Guess he is wrong.

 

Also, my father said that if you go from NYPD to Transit (after taking o/c exams) your years of service will carry over to Transit. Is this true?

 

I just have a strong feeling that the stuff he is saying about this is FALSE.

:cry::cry:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes your time will carry over to transit because they both use the same pension

System . But being a police officer does not help you get the job you have to pass the exam with a high score and get a great list # and then get called for the job just like anyone else .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can you elaborate please? I don't understand what 'no-motion' and 'SLD' mean. Thanks

 

You have to forgive Devil Bus dry sense of humor, SLD=Surface Line

Dispatcher. You need to have at least 3 years as a B/O to get promoted

to an SLD, but even with a good score that may not be enough as it's based

on how much seniority you have also, I don't remember how many points they add to your score but it makes a difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You have to forgive Devil Bus dry sense of humor, SLD=Surface Line

Dispatcher. You need to have at least 3 years as a B/O to get promoted

to an SLD, but even with a good score that may not be enough as it's based

on how much seniority you have also, I don't remember how many points they add to your score but it makes a difference.

 

15% is senority. each 3 months counts as 1/2 point. so if you get 100% right on the exam you will have a 85 points then if you been on the job for 3 years 3 months (my case) you will get another 6 points bringing my grand total to 91.

 

this link is not for the OA exam but should give you a idea ofpay and how they score the test.

http://home2.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808512000.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No flex your calculation is incorrect .

85% of your score is the written test the remaining 15% is seniority

You earn .5 point for every 3 months of perm service and 70 gets added to that number

Then 15 % of that number would be your seniority score then those 2 numbers added would be your total score .

 

Example

100% on written exam = 85 points

3 years 3 months of seniority = 70+ 6.5 points = 76.5 x15% = 11.47

Total score is 96.47

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No flex your calculation is incorrect .

85% of your score is the written test the remaining 15% is seniority

You earn .5 point for every 3 months of perm service and 70 gets added to that number

Then 15 % of that number would be your seniority score then those 2 numbers added would be your total score .

 

Example

100% on written exam = 85 points

3 years 3 months of seniority = 70+ 6.5 points = 76.5 x15% = 11.47

Total score is 96.47

 

Is that .5 point for every 3 months of perm service with TA

 

OR

 

.5 point for every 3 months of perm service in title?

 

Thanks in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is that .5 point for every 3 months of perm service with TA

 

OR

 

.5 point for every 3 months of perm service in title?

 

Thanks in advance.

 

This what stated.

You will be given a multiple-choice test. A score of at least 70% is required to pass this test. Your score

on this test will determine 85% of your final score. Your seniority will determine the remaining 15%. You must pass

the multiple-choice test to have your seniority credited. Your seniority score will be 70 plus 1/2 point for each three

months of completed, permanent, continuous service with an agency under the jurisdiction of the Commissioner,

Department of Citywide Administrative Services in competitive class titles. Your service will be credited through

the date of the test, up to a maximum of 15 years. Time served prior to a break in service of more than one year

will not be credited.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is that .5 point for every 3 months of perm service with TA

 

OR

 

.5 point for every 3 months of perm service in title?

 

Thanks in advance.

From what the notice of examination states the seniority can be any time served in the

Ta or another agency that is a competitive class and is under the jurisdiction

Of dcas which is almost every title . So 3 months in any of the above you will get a .5 point .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This what stated.

You will be given a multiple-choice test. A score of at least 70% is required to pass this test. Your score

on this test will determine 85% of your final score. Your seniority will determine the remaining 15%. You must pass

the multiple-choice test to have your seniority credited. Your seniority score will be 70 plus 1/2 point for each three

months of completed, permanent, continuous service with an agency under the jurisdiction of the Commissioner,

Department of Citywide Administrative Services in competitive class titles. Your service will be credited through

the date of the test, up to a maximum of 15 years. Time served prior to a break in service of more than one year

will not be credited.

 

From what the notice of examination states the seniority can be any time served in the

Ta or another agency that is a competitive class and is under the jurisdiction

Of dcas which is almost every title . So 3 months in any of the above you will get a .5 point .

 

Interesting and thanks to both of you. I wonder if that will stay the same now that Transit has taking over there own testing, or if only time with Transit would count now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.