Conductor C/R 8094 analysis

Xentor

Over at another thread a forum member like myself (primomjr78) gave a somewhat startling prediction as to the number of people the MTA will wind up calling for this job, he says "If you're number is under 2800 for conductor you will get a call bottom line . You can quote me on that too". The list has been open since February 2011 and will remain open until February 2015. Approximately 4 months were lost since the list was established until this past June 2011 when they called up the first batch of people to get ready for processing and classes. So these predictions will be based on 44 months instead of 48 which is the total number of months the list will remain open before it expires. For the sake of argument/debate (which is good and interesting regardless of what some people say), the last C/R exam from August 2005 wound up reaching just a little over 3000 people (for an exact number just search the forum), so I'll use the number 3000 as my comparison guide and our ONLY real non-variable. Now you SUPPOSE Transit keeps a pattern of processing 30, 40 or 50 people on a monthly basis for the remaining 44 months, then below are my predictions of what would need to happen in order for them to reach the number 3000 as in our August 2005 C/R exam.

When I say "aren't hired" that means failed processing (medical, employment history, failed schoolcar etc..). Some totals are rounded up or down, because there isn't such a thing as 0.6 of a person

I believe Transit has been known to hold schoolcar classes of up to 60 people

60 people a month for 44 months = 2640

If 14% of people aren't hired an extra 370 people will need to be called up for Transit to reach the number 3010

50 people a month for 44 months = 2200 people

If 37% of people aren't hired an extra 814 people will need to be called up for Transit to reach the number 3014

40 people a month for 44 months = 1760 people

If 71% of people aren't hired an extra 1250 people will need to be called up for Transit to reach the number 3010

30 people a month for 44 months = 1320 people

If 129% of people aren't hired an extra 1690 people will need to be called up for Transit to reach 3010. This means that at a rate of 30 people a month, people need to FAIL at MORE than a 1:1 ratio which is insane.

Let's suppose Transit alternates (WHICH THEY WILL) and calls up 30 people a month for 22 months and 40 people a month for 22 months for a total of 44 months.

30/40 people a month for 44 months = 1540 people

If 95% of people aren't hired then 1463 people will need to be called up for Transit to reach the number 3003. Almost a 1:1 ratio!

Before people start trashing me, please take into account the obvious, NO ONE knows exactly how many people Transit will call on a monthly basis. They might skip a month or more. They might call more than 60 a month, they might call less than 30 a month, no one knows. So don't assume that I don't know what the variables are. The above calculations ignorantly assume that transit will follow a pattern and even that we don't know. I can add any monthly number and come up with a number if people want.

Those calculations are off:

Many more than 14% of those that are called do not get the job.

-Many move and do not update DCAS, and never get the call, so they are determined to have "refused" the job

-Many have other jobs they see as "better" at the time being and choose to remain there

-Many fail the drug test

-Many miss their appointments at Human Resources, and don't know they can restore their name to the list.

-Many fail the physical for unsatisfactory answers to their questionnaire, or unsatisfactory results when tested.

A more realistic number I'd say 40-50% don't actually get hired. That's an estimate, but 14% is extremely low.

Secondly, it is likely a lot of people will get called off 8094. There is a real shortage in RTO of not just conductors but also train operators. And where do you think they're calling train operators from? Why, many are currently conductors, which adds to the numbers of C/R's they need to replenish from off the street.

The hiring rate figures to slow down a bit when the open competitive T/O list is activated more than a year from now.

Those calculations are off:

Many more than 14% of those that are called do not get the job.

-Many move and do not update DCAS, and never get the call, so they are determined to have "refused" the job

-Many have other jobs they see as "better" at the time being and choose to remain there

-Many fail the drug test

-Many miss their appointments at Human Resources, and don't know they can restore their name to the list.

-Many fail the physical for unsatisfactory answers to their questionnaire, or unsatisfactory results when tested.

A more realistic number I'd say 40-50% don't actually get hired. That's an estimate, but 14% is extremely low.

Secondly, it is likely a lot of people will get called off 8094. There is a real shortage in RTO of not just conductors but also train operators. And where do you think they're calling train operators from? Why, many are currently conductors, which adds to the numbers of C/R's they need to replenish from off the street.

The hiring rate figures to slow down a bit when the open competitive T/O list is activated more than a year from now.

I scoared 94 on that exam and my list number is 2954 lol what is the chance of them reaching my number.

decent, but not guaranteed. good luck.

Thanks bro, but if i do get call in the near future,i dont think i would really take it due to im already working for mta in the bus department.i would already build my sinority and be at top pay. But thanks anyways.

Why do people obsess over how many people TA may call for these jobs anyway?. No one can tell you exactly what they will do. Like many others have said on here before just go on with life and wait for the letter in the mail.

You would be surprised to find out how much more people are obsessed with posting on this forum all day for next to no reason than this job. When you put it that way, then everyone is obsessing over every job.

You would be surprised to find out how much more people are obsessed with posting on this forum all day for next to no reason than this job. When you put it that way, then everyone is obsessing over every job.

LMAO your right about that.

LOL, true. But people just keep making more posts for the same questions that were already asked before. When I took my exam for S/A in 2004, I didn't have this site to gather info on when I may get called, nor did I know anyone that could give me such an answer either. I had to keep checking the mailbox everyday the old fashion way. And when i finally stopped looking, the letter came in the mailbox when I least expected it.

• 9 months later...

What I call HR every month once they tell me they're in the 700's I'm calling them everyday ..... I want this job, I NEED THIS JOB. My whole life is riding on this. This is my dream job. Working on the trains, meeting new people everyday, the pay, and the woman. What 26 year old single man doesn't want this job

What I call HR every month once they tell me they're in the 700's I'm calling them everyday ..... I want this job, I NEED THIS JOB. My whole life is riding on this. This is my dream job. Working on the trains, meeting new people everyday, the pay, and the woman. What 26 year old single man doesn't want this job

Just be humble about the entire process man. Not everyone makes it through, or finds out this job ain't what they thought it would be. You're focusing on the bright parts of the job, but not the bad. This is your dream job, but it is a job and takes hard work and has constant repetition. Also forget about a social life with those women you meet, because you'll always be at work, So every holiday and weekend expect to be at work for at least the next 10 years or even more. But if you one can deal with the negatives I pointed out working for TA can be a fun and rewarding job to have, but don't put all your eggs in one basket trying to get a job with them. I see you said your life is depending on getting this job, I hope you're not really serious about that. I'd suggest applying for other civil service jobs as well, while you wait for TA. Maybe you know all the things I have mentioned, but I just like to help out when I can.

Another thing is if anyone can afford the time, get a physical and a health checkup before the MTA calls your number. You might feel fine, but you never know what can come up in your bloodwork/urine, or what that occasional headache/earache/bodyache could be...

Just be humble about the entire process man. Not everyone makes it through, or finds out this job ain't what they thought it would be. You're focusing on the bright parts of the job, but not the bad. This is your dream job, but it is a job and takes hard work and has constant repetition. Also forget about a social life with those women you meet, because you'll always be at work, So every holiday and weekend expect to be at work for at least the next 10 years or even more. But if you one can deal with the negatives I pointed out working for TA can be a fun and rewarding job to have, but don't put all your eggs in one basket trying to get a job with them. I see you said your life is depending on getting this job, I hope you're not really serious about that. I'd suggest applying for other civil service jobs as well, while you wait for TA. Maybe you know all the things I have mentioned, but I just like to help out when I can.

Exactly Will this job has a DARK SIDE and you dont see it until you are in the trenches...

I work @ Metro PCS as a Sales Rep and it's more like a Store Manager. I work 10 hours a day 6 days a week. They always push me to sell and tell me to put up these drastic #'s. If I'm more than 5 min. late I'm docked $50 so I'm never late. I'm on the list for School Safety, waiting for the 2015 Suffolk PD exam. As well as Sanitation, and trying to get my Commercial Permit to take the B/O exam. My whole life is riding on this because I always seen myself doing one of two things NYPD or MTA. Don't have college so TA it is. For the 1st. time in my life I want to do what I set out to do. Of course I know there's con's to this job like every job in the world. I can adjust and keep my mind right. Not to mention I wanna pull double's and work overtime but once I get seniority I'm picking and hope I get it lol. I plan I'm moving up as far as I can go like my uncle. He worked surface as a Bus Mechanic. 24 years later he retired a Safety Superintendent for the Brooklyn Depot He started @. I just don't want to be in this life of poverty ya feel me fellas ??

I work @ Metro PCS as a Sales Rep and it's more like a Store Manager. I work 10 hours a day 6 days a week. They always push me to sell and tell me to put up these drastic #'s. If I'm more than 5 min. late I'm docked $50 so I'm never late. I'm on the list for School Safety, waiting for the 2015 Suffolk PD exam. As well as Sanitation, and trying to get my Commercial Permit to take the B/O exam. My whole life is riding on this because I always seen myself doing one of two things NYPD or MTA. Don't have college so TA it is. For the 1st. time in my life I want to do what I set out to do. Of course I know there's con's to this job like every job in the world. I can adjust and keep my mind right. Not to mention I wanna pull double's and work overtime but once I get seniority I'm picking and hope I get it lol. I plan I'm moving up as far as I can go like my uncle. He worked surface as a Bus Mechanic. 24 years later he retired a Safety Superintendent for the Brooklyn Depot He started @. I just don't want to be in this life of poverty ya feel me fellas ??

I worked for minium wage for Years so i do have an idea what its like...

Thanks RTO but I'm guessing a few months though, and they'll call me I'm a little over 200 #'s away. Is school car difficult or is it challenging but fairly simple I'm quite good with test's

We've all been there. I've worked minimum wage for years, as well as security work for 7 years. So I know how it is making chump change week to week. And Sufolk PD exam is a scam. They have a force of like 400-500 officers. And if you had or have family there you get like 10 extra points automatically. I took that exam back in 2007 scored a perfect 100 and still had a list number 900, all because of people with family members getting scores 110-115. So unless you have family working there, I'd skip that exam and the $100 fee, just saying. Also apply for the upcoming Transit Property Protection Agent exam, my fiancee is 188 on the previous exam so she should be called up soon, she currently works school safety. I took that exam myself back in 2010 before I was laid off from TA. But your head is in the right place so I know you'll do well in this job once you're hired.

We've all been there. I've worked minimum wage for years, as well as security work for 7 years. So I know how it is making chump change week to week. And Sufolk PD exam is a scam. They have a force of like 400-500 officers. And if you had or have family there you get like 10 extra points automatically. I took that exam back in 2007 scored a perfect 100 and still had a list number 900, all because of people with family members getting scores 110-115. So unless you have family working there, I'd skip that exam and the $100 fee, just saying. Also apply for the upcoming Transit Property Protection Agent exam, my fiancee is 188 on the previous exam so she should be called up soon, she currently works school safety. I took that exam myself back in 2010 before I was laid off from TA. But your head is in the right place so I know you'll do well in this job once you're hired.

Way ahead of you I'm applying for PPA, and cashier if the exam dates are different if not I'm just tasking PPA, as for SSA I'm # 496 for the last written multiple exam. You know the one before the computerized testing

Archived