Express lines...

transit bx

Though out the whole MTA system express lines,which lines have one of the longest to shortest routes,most to least passenger count,which depots that have express lines you like best to worst,and which depots have the oldest fleets.Also which lines would you have service cuts and what lines would you increase due to passenger count.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Express lines ... where to start? I'm a MCI fanboy so I don't mind doing any of them. I do have a particular preference on the Brooklyn and Staten Island based routes simply due to the length. Time is money, right? My least favorite will have to be the QV routes just because of how short they are.

Longest routes would probably be the x22 and QM16/17.

As for service, most people on this forum would probably agree that the current level of rush hour express bus service is warranted and should not be cut. But off-peak and especially weekend service remains a very controversial topic.

In my opinion:

-x17C gets Sunday service

-BM4, BM5, QM4 lose off-peak service

-All Bronx routes except BxM7: reduce off-peak service to hourly

As for service, most people on this forum would probably agree that the current level of rush hour express bus service is warranted and should not be cut. But off-peak and especially weekend service remains a very controversial topic.

In my opinion:

The only reason why BM5 has off peak service is beacause it is literally infront of the depot. When it reaches manhattan it usually interlines and becomes BM4 sometimes other BM routes or just plain BM5

Out of all the express routes I've ridden, My favorite in terms of...

Fleet: B110

Speed: AE7

Passenger Volume: X10-I rode the last inbound trip of the night(10:00PM) and nearly all the seats were taken. That impressed me.

Travel Path: X27.

Least Favorite:

Fleet: N/A

Speed: BxM4C?

Travel Path: QM1A

Passenger Volume: BxM4C-they were rarely used when it ran on the weekend and most got off before a certain point going outbound.

Passenger Volume: X10-I rode the last inbound trip of the night(10:00PM) and nearly all the seats were taken. That impressed me.

Least Favorite:

Passenger Volume: BxM4C-they were rarely used on the weekend and most got off before a certain point going outbound.

What's wrong with the QM1A? And that x10 ridership does surprise me. Staten Island usually doesn't fit with the normal express bus ridership patterns.

Least Favorite:

Passenger Volume: BxM4C-they were rarely used when it ran on the weekend and most got off before a certain point going outbound.

the BXM4C joke why am I not surprised that thing does nothing but sit on the parking lot called major FAILWAY I-87!!!

In my opinion:

I think the BM5 should replace the QM15 on Saturdays.

I think the BM5 should replace the QM15 on Saturdays.

agreed the BM5 literally doesn't even deadhead at all to start any of it's manhattan bound runs plus the BM5 and QM15 inspite of BM5 not making stops are basically the same speed and run neck and neck literally even with stops the QM15 can hold it's own speedwise against a BM5 except rush hour of course when both are full and can't combine at all.

My issue with the QM1A was that it used Park Dr E and Van Wyck Expwy to get to the LIE. The LIE can does have heavy traffic west of the Van Wyck at times. At least if it used the Queens Blvd main road, it could cut down some of the time in heavy traffic.

Generally, it did (and does) use Queens Blvd., and not the Van Wyck to the LIE. There is one B/O I get a lot that will use it off-peak because it is faster. But most stick to Queens Boulevard

Though out the whole MTA system express lines,which lines have one of the longest to shortest routes,most to least passenger count,which depots that have express lines you like best to worst,and which depots have the oldest fleets.Also which lines would you have service cuts and what lines would you increase due to passenger count.

Good questions.... lemme think about it a lil....

longest dist.: since you say throughout the MTA system, it's the x22 @ around 35 miles... only the "via NJ" routes travel over 30 miles....

(x23 & 24 which of course are AE routes, are slightly longer than the x22)

shortest dist.: not sure, probably the QM10

most pax. count: either the x1 or the x17c

least pax count: w/ the x51 gone, I gotta say the QM3...

depot/most liked exp routes: FRK (YON is 2nd)

depot/least liked exp routes: LGA, by far (baisley, w/ the QM21, is 2nd)

depot/oldest fleet: have no clue... buses move all over the place too much for me to bother keepin up with.... I'm sure some of the others on here can answer that for ya....

exp. line service cuts: realistically, most the bronx routes on saturdays.... always felt they get too much saturday service/passenger level(s)....

exp. line service incr.: I would've said the x29... but since that's gone..... I really can't think/don't know of any (right now)...

....but I'll tell you one thing... looking at the span of the revived x37/38, that's gonna have to expand... last bus leaving midtown @ 6:20pm/6:10pm (respectively) aint enough....

Good questions.... lemme think about it a lil....

longest dist.: since you say throughout the MTA system, it's the x22 @ around 35 miles... only the "via NJ" routes travel over 30 miles....

(x23 & 24 which of course are AE routes, are slightly longer than the x22)

shortest dist.: not sure, probably the QM10

most pax. count: either the x1 or the x17c

least pax count: w/ the x51 gone, I gotta say the QM3...

depot/most liked exp routes: FRK (YON is 2nd)

depot/least liked exp routes: LGA, by far (baisley, w/ the QM21, is 2nd)

depot/oldest fleet: have no clue... buses move all over the place too much for me to bother keepin up with.... I'm sure some of the others on here can answer that for ya....

exp. line service cuts: realistically, most the bronx routes on saturdays.... always felt they get too much saturday service/passenger level(s)....

exp. line service incr.: I would've said the x29... but since that's gone..... I really can't think/don't know of any (right now)...

....but I'll tell you one thing... looking at the span of the revived x37/38, that's gonna have to expand... last bus leaving midtown @ 6:20pm/6:10pm (respectively) aint enough....

Weekday service: most is x1, least is QM3

Saturday service: most is x1, least is BM4

Sunday service: most is x1, least is QM4

Busiest weekday route without Saturday service: x27/x37

Busiest Saturday route without Sunday service: x17C

Least busy weekday route with Saturday service: BM5

Least busy weekday route with Sunday service: BxM6

Notice how all the "busiest" entries are NYCT routes, while the "lowest" entries are MTA Bus routes.

x37/x38 span is the way it is because that's when the x27/x28's were overcrowded. In my opinion, 6:10 is way too early, they should run until at least 7:30, just less often.

Weekday service: most is x1, least is QM3

Saturday service: most is x1, least is BM4

Sunday service: most is x1, least is QM4

Busiest weekday route without Saturday service: x27/x37

Busiest Saturday route without Sunday service: x17C

Least busy weekday route with Saturday service: BM5

Least busy weekday route with Sunday service: BxM6

Notice how all the "busiest" entries are NYCT routes, while the "lowest" entries are MTA Bus routes.

x37/x38 span is the way it is because that's when the x27/x28's were overcrowded. In my opinion, 6:10 is way too early, they should run until at least 7:30, just less often.

The BxM6 may have low ridership, but considering it's length, it's not bad. That's why it was fairly cheap to operate ($10.30 per passenger).

The routes that were more expensive to operate per passenger are the BxM4, QM4, QM5/6, BxM3, and BxM11.

Well I do Glen Oak

s and to me that's the longest route we have, Yes North Shore Towers is long as well but it doesn't go into fresh meadows via 73 Ave like Glen oaks.

the ridership is to full cap.Rush hours with headways every 5 minutes to Wall street are full sometimes standees.

Travel time from Wall to Glen oaks can take 2 hrs.as well

so Staten Island. Isn't the only ones trooping ok.

SHORTEST rt. Idk say has to be the QM10:tup:

And from what I've heard this rt. Might merge with Qm4 or QM 1 so a early heads up to that.

PS NO Buses are allowed on park ln.east .

SHORTEST rt. Idk say has to be the QM10:tup:

And from what I've heard this rt. Might merge with Qm4 or QM 1 so a early heads up to that.

PS NO Buses are allowed on park ln.east .

1-woah, a merge?? I hope they put more buses on the route if they join it with the qm1!

2-haha, tell that to the B/O I get in the late mornings some days, he takes it anyway. But never in the morning when he does his rush hour run

While Checkmate and Amtrak are 'numbers guys' I admit i don't follow ridership data alot. I always make my calls for NYC area routes *based on my experience* of personally riding them.

Though not Yuki LOL i did at one point been on almost every NYC Bus since i was a teen. With that said, here my calls on changes. I know Garbaldi may disagree with a couple of them.

Bronx

BXM18-select trips starts/ends at Getty Sq running via Riverdale Ave.

BXM4-Extended to Yonkers Raceway/Empire City running via Central Ave, McClean then regular route to/from 23rd Street.

BXM6-End weekend service. Replaced with re-routed BXM10 service serving Parkchester.

End Sunday BXM2 service. Riverdale Ave riders can use the BXM1 or nearby BXM3 as alternatives. Also BXM2 can use the BX7 Local Bus to Washington Heights-168 Street for (M2) (M3) (M4) or (M5)to West Midtown.

weekends/holidays only

Merge the BXM7 and BXM7a running along Bruckner Blvd between Pelham Bay Station (6) and White Plains Rd/Bruckner.

Other than the BXM7 the last Manhattan Bound Bronx (MTA) 'express' buses leaves their terminals at 8pm. For the BXM7 it leaves COOP City at 1am.

Also Hourly service on all Bronx lines on Sundays.

BXM7 runs between 4am-1am and Sundays 6am-Midnight. All other Bronx express buses runs Weekdays 530am-Midnight and Weekends 7am-Midnight.

Staten Island

X-1 runs every hour between 1-5am (aka 24/7 service)

X-17 runs on Sundays every hour between 7am-9pm.

Last Bus leaves Manhattan on Sundays at 9pm and SI at around 7pm.

Also the last Weekday Manhattan-bound X17 leaves SI at 6pm.

X-10 runs later on Sundays with last bus leaving Lower Manhattan at Midnight.

Brooklyn

Keep in mind i worked for a year at the former Command Bus as a phone agent (late '90's)giving schedules to callers. I am sure the ridership is similar almost 15 years later lol.

BM3-Extend the route to either Kingsborough College or the Brighton/CI border to serve the Trump Village Complex and terminate at West 5th/Surf Ave aka the former B68 terminal.

Or to serve those in ADA from Manhattan going to Kingsborough extend at least a few BM3's weekdays. The current terminal at Emmons/East 14th Street is middle of 'nowhere.'

BM4 reduced to peak direction service weekdays only. To Midtown appx. 530am-12 Noon and To Brooklyn appx. 12 Noon-9pm.

Weekend service is cut.

X27/X28 with hourly Saturday service between 7am-11pm.

Last X27/28 leaves their Brooklyn terminals at around 9pm and last X27/28 on Saturdays at 11pm.

No Sunday service to start. Too little ridership on Sundays often trips with zero ridership. Ready for Garbaldi reply but I am stubborn too:cool:(and unlike him I have facts as used to reguraly ride the X28 in the early 2000's)

If ridership does well then add "Sunday' ridership on X27/28.

Queens

Only change for now is why not create a 'park and ride' terminal at Green Acres Mall for one of the SE Queens/Valley Stream bus routes?

I don't ride the Queens express routes that often so i wont' comment here.

reactions to my proposals?:confused:

Only change for now is why not create a 'park and ride' terminal at Green Acres Mall for one of the SE Queens/Valley Stream bus routes?

A park & ride terminal for what?

closest express bus to green acres is the x63... Nassau county riders will simply drive to LIRR Valley stream & park there, than park their car inside the green acres mall parking lot... They don't want the NYC express bus; the LIRR is right there.... the riders the x63 gets in Rosedale, are all ppl. that live in Rosedale....

....and you're not gonna get passengers actually commuting to take a... local route.

If that's what you're suggesting, that to me is flat out absurd....

A park & ride terminal for what?

closest express bus to green acres is the x63... Nassau county riders will simply drive to LIRR Valley stream & park there, than park their car inside the green acres mall parking lot... They don't want the NYC express bus; the LIRR is right there.... the riders the x63 gets in Rosedale, are all ppl. that live in Rosedale....

....and you're not gonna get passengers actually commuting to take a... local route.

If that's what you're suggesting, that to me is flat out absurd....

Just a thought B35. I thought with Valley Stream LIRR station's available parking spots at or close to sell out this could be an alternative.

Maybe a better idea is a shuttle bus between Green Acres and Valley Stream.

Just a thought B35. I thought with Valley Stream LIRR station's available parking spots at or close to sell out this could be an alternative.

Maybe a better idea is a shuttle bus between Green Acres and Valley Stream.

there's already a shuttle bus b/w Green Acres & Valley Stream....

it's called the N2 !

Oldest Fleet = Castleton, hands down

Longest routes = x22, QM16(Roxbury, the Neponsit route is still used as a short turn), QM2 Bayside, QM6 NST.

Lines I like the best = x1, x17, BxM7. The three lines that have saved my a** from being stranded in various places and has gotten me home in quick fashion. Also saved me an hour and change in terms of time.

Lines I hate = Damn, not sure, probably the BxM10.

Shortest routes : I'm torn between the QM10 and QM12. The QM10 is more straightforward while the QM12 hits another path.

Lines with the most passenger count = x1, x17s, x19 (been seeing standees lately on the x19), x22s, x30/31s, BxM7 QM2/2A (experienced the QM2 recently, crazy route), QM6, QM16.

Least passenger count = QM18 (hit & miss), the now-defunct x25 & x51(took the route 4 times on those vikings, only carried 4 people throughout the trip...).

Lines that need to be cut/modified = BM4, x90 (READ BEFORE YOU GO APESH!T!)

I would've just reduced the headways and schedules of the x90 because as mentioned, they ran too bloody frequent. The line carried a lot of peeps, but the headways and frequencies is what killed the route. Buses arriving at every 15-20 minutes would've been better(which is what I had in mind) than buses arriving every 5-10 minutes.

Lines where service needs to be increased because of passenger count = mostly the really hard hitting routes like the x1, x17s, QM2/2As, QM6s and quite a few other routes.

Though on a personal note, I'd like to see some more service on the x63, x64 & x68. At least have those lines run till like 9-ish or so.

Though on a personal note, I'd like to see some more service on the x63, x64 & x68. At least have those lines run till like 9-ish or so.

I so agree with you b/c they are many of times I'll get home late due to riding the damn subway and taking that lame Q5. Since no one complain about extended the hours on X63/64/68....it ends @ the time it does!

Archived