Express lines...

transit bx

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Queens NYCT express routes are among the least efficient NYCT express routes there are. (x22 and x31 make up the worst 5). That said, some service improvements do need to be made.

Maybe because of their short schedule? :P

Lines I hate = Damn, not sure, probably the BxM10.

Shortest routes : I'm torn between the QM10 and QM12. The QM10 is more straightforward while the QM12 hits another path.

1) Why do you hate the BxM10?

2) Doesn't the QM12 take a portion of the QM10 path?

The Queens NYCT express routes are among the least efficient NYCT express routes there are. (x22 and x31 make up the worst 5). That said, some service improvements do need to be made.

It's ridership is high, and its cost per passenger is $10.84 (which is fairly reasonable for an express bus), but I guess the fact that most of the other low-performing routes were eliminated made it rise to the top in terms of high costs per passenger.

From East 180th to Gun Hill Road (which is my usual stop) takes about 20-25 minutes. Better off taking the (5)!

The QM12 is essentially the same as the QM10 except that it takes Yellowstone Blvd.

I didn't think the X22 would be inefficient.

Most, if not all, of the routes via NJ are not very efficient. Remember, a passenger taking a 30+ mile ride on the x22 is paying the same fare as somebody riding the BxM6 to the UES.

Most, if not all, of the routes via NJ are not very efficient. Remember, a passenger taking a 30+ mile ride on the x22 is paying the same fare as somebody riding the BxM6 to the UES.

Makes sense (though the "via NJ" routes all see high ridership, except for maybe the X31)

Since rush hour service costs more to provide than peak service, and express buses have a particularly high peak:base raio, how would this work for the next fare hike?

Assume the subway/local bus fare is raised to $2.50. The peak fare would increase to $6.50, and the off-peak fare would decrease to $5.00. This would help to "spread the peak", as some people wait until after rush hour to make their trip on the express bus. Off-peak, since the express bus fare would only be 2 times the local bus fare (vs. almost 2.5 times the local fare now). During rush hour, the local bus/subway would seem more attractive, as the fare differential would be $4.

The BxM6 which goes to Parkchester is about 15-20 miles and in terms of time, is a lot less shorter than the x22. The x22 is over an hour and some change longer and goes about 35 miles and picks up over twice as much people as the BxM6. The x22 is clearly more efficient than the BxM6, its a terrible comparison. If you want to compare routes by efficiency, the x22 to the QM6 or QM2. The whole purpose of going through New Jersey is to evade going through Brooklyn, where traffic along the Gowanus is notorious, and seeing as the x22 has to go farther than almost all the Express Bus routes, sending it through NJ makes it work.

Makes sense (though the "via NJ" routes all see high ridership, except for maybe the X31)

Since rush hour service costs more to provide than peak service, and express buses have a particularly high peak:base raio, how would this work for the next fare hike?

Assume the subway/local bus fare is raised to $2.50. The peak fare would increase to $6.50, and the off-peak fare would decrease to $5.00. This would help to "spread the peak", as some people wait until after rush hour to make their trip on the express bus. Off-peak, since the express bus fare would only be 2 times the local bus fare (vs. almost 2.5 times the local fare now). During rush hour, the local bus/subway would seem more attractive, as the fare differential would be $4.

Good idea, but expect crowds on the shoulder services and that means service increases, which cost more money. Yes, it'll decrease the peak:base ratio, but at what cost? Service planning should be based on ridership, not statistical values. There already is an off-peak incentive, in the form of the reduced fare not being available during the rush hours. And if you charge the off-peak fare on weekends, there will be plenty of people who will take the express bus over the subway with all the GO's.

The ultimate express bus ridership booster would be the acceptance of regular Unlimited MetroCards on off-peak service. Maybe they can do that on routes like the BxM11 and BxM1 when the subway is being bused.

How well do trips that arrive Manhattan after 9AM do on routes without midday service?

The BxM6 which goes to Parkchester is about 15-20 miles and in terms of time, is a lot less shorter than the x22. The x22 is over an hour and some change longer and goes about 35 miles and picks up over twice as much people as the BxM6. The x22 is clearly more efficient than the BxM6, its a terrible comparison. If you want to compare routes by efficiency, the x22 to the QM6 or QM2. The whole purpose of going through New Jersey is to evade going through Brooklyn, where traffic along the Gowanus is notorious, and seeing as the x22 has to go farther than almost all the Express Bus routes, sending it through NJ makes it work.

I just used the BxM6 as a random example of a short route.

1) I don't care much for the BxM10 either... it's a route to me, doesn't have a high enough a consistent usage... ppl there will wait but so long for the bus before they get fed up & take the local bus to the train.... I've seen that on enough occasions on that route... I don't know of any other area that has express service where they're that impatient w/ the arrival of the exp. bus... I'm talkin about the elderly folks that live along Eastchester too... but then again, they love that Bx31 out there....

as for the morris park (av) section, you know it's bad when b/o's end up crawling express buses....

2) not... really....

the queens bus map is confusing in that area.... the QM10 & the QM12 do utilize the HHE service roads, but they're completely on the opposite sides of the LIE (of course you wouldn't know that by lookin at a bus map).... lemme explain:

- QM10 uses the HHE serv rd heading westbound (QM12 doesn't)...

(lookin at it another way, you can't xfer from the QM12 to the Q38 @ Otis/60th)

- QM12 Queens bound uses the HHE serv. rd eastbound

(QM10 doesn't touch that side of the serv. rd)...

Basically, the QM12 doesn't serve Lefrak city (whose southern border is HHE serv. rd westbound)....

if this helps any.....

[GMAPS]<iframe width="100" height="100" frameborder="0" scrolling="yes" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204011070939843183781.0004a7efbda517b0f8cfe&msa=0&ll=40.732365,-73.84306&spn=0.035837,0.052013&output=embed"></iframe>[/GMAPS]

(view in satellite view & zoom in where necessary for best results)

- QM10 line is in green, QM11 line is in yellow

- QM12 manhattan bound is in red, QM12 queens bound is in blue

1) I don't care much for the BxM10 either... it's a route to me, doesn't have a high enough a consistent usage... ppl there will wait but so long for the bus before they get fed up & take the local bus to the train.... I've seen that on enough occasions on that route... I don't know of any other area that has express service where they're that impatient w/ the arrival of the exp. bus... I'm talkin about the elderly folks that live along Eastchester too... but then again, they love that Bx31 out there....

as for the morris park (av) section, you know it's bad when b/o's end up crawling express buses....

2) not... really....

the queens bus map is confusing in that area.... the QM10 & the QM12 do utilize the HHE service roads, but they're completely on the opposite sides of the LIE (of course you wouldn't know that by lookin at a bus map).... lemme explain:

- QM10 uses the HHE serv rd heading westbound (QM12 doesn't)...

(lookin at it another way, you can't xfer from the QM12 to the Q38 @ Otis/60th)

- QM12 Queens bound uses the HHE serv. rd eastbound

(QM10 doesn't touch that side of the serv. rd)...

Basically, the QM12 doesn't serve Lefrak city (whose southern border is HHE serv. rd westbound)....

if this helps any.....

[GMAPS]<iframe width="100" height="100" frameborder="0" scrolling="yes" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204011070939843183781.0004a7efbda517b0f8cfe&msa=0&ll=40.732365,-73.84306&spn=0.035837,0.052013&output=embed"></iframe>[/GMAPS]

(view in satellite view & zoom in where necessary for best results)

- QM10 line is in green, QM11 line is in yellow

- QM12 manhattan bound is in red, QM12 queens bound is in blue

Well i did the BXM10 today and i can tell you that each trip i had at least 25 and better on my bus.And im not talking peak hours either. The only peak hour i had was my 550 from 23 and it was jam packed.:tup:

The only reason why BM5 has off peak service is beacause it is literally infront of the depot. When it reaches manhattan it usually interlines and becomes BM4 sometimes other BM routes or just plain BM5

The BM5 does not have off peak service because it's "in front of the depot!"

The BM5 does not have off peak service because it's "in front of the depot!"

I was gonna address that, but then I considered the source & laughed it off.....

Well i did the BXM10 today and i can tell you that each trip i had at least 25 and better on my bus.And im not talking peak hours either. The only peak hour i had was my 550 from 23 and it was jam packed.:tup:

Not sayin ppl. don't ride the buses, I said the ridership iddn't consistent.

I was gonna address that, but then I considered the source & laughed it off.....

But why does it have off-peak service? The BM2 can run to Starett City during off-peak hours, it's cheaper than running separate buses.

That is pretty much my issue, with the experiences I had on the BxM10, I was better off taking the (5) train.

That is pretty much my issue, with the experiences I had on the BxM10, I was better off taking the (5) train.

I used the BxM10 over the (5) many of times and got to Manhattan in a decent amount of time. The drivers I got drove pretty good. Although there was a time I got a slow driver and got off and took the Bx31 to Westchester Sq for the (6).

I used the BxM10 over the (5) many of times and got to Manhattan in a decent amount of time. The drivers I got drove pretty good. Although there was a time I got a slow driver and got off and took the Bx31 to Westchester Sq for the (6).

Never had much problems going into the city, just going to Gun Hill Road was a pain because it crawls along Morris Park Ave and then gets bumped by one or two Bx31s.

Never had much problems going into the city, just going to Gun Hill Road was a pain because it crawls along Morris Park Ave and then gets bumped by one or two Bx31s.

Yep! Thats the only annoying thing about it. One driver i stopped riding his because he would crawl on purpose.

But why does it have off-peak service? The BM2 can run to Starett City during off-peak hours, it's cheaper than running separate buses.

The BM5 takes a faster route than the BM2 and is much shorter and easier than running a BM2. Plus I'd rather see it merge with an QM rte than the BM2. The BM2 is basically a manhattan version of the B103!!!!! BM5 is in fact more compatible with QM15

The BM5 takes a faster route than the BM2 and is much shorter and easier than running a BM2. Plus I'd rather see it merge with an QM rte than the BM2. The BM2 is basically a manhattan version of the B103!!!!! BM5 is in fact more compatible with QM15

And you'd also rather be seeing people kick your ass for merging different exp bus routes in two different boroughs....

How the hell can the BM5 be compatible with the QM15???? B/c they both run on Woodhaven Boulevard doesn't they can run, merge and/or be compatible. QM15 doesn't have a weekend run and you think making the BM5 run to Lindenwood will make it better. Hell no you'll have pissed off Spring Creek customers. I bet you never rode the BM5 nor the QM15 a day in you life. A QM route merging with the BM2...oh yeah that's really great NOT. You make no sense whatsoever!. Learn to ride routes b4 making fabrication plans!

And you'd also rather be seeing people kick your ass for merging different exp bus routes in two different boroughs....

Apparently he doesn't know what he's talking about!

Yep! Thats the only annoying thing about it. One driver i stopped riding his because he would crawl on purpose.

well, at least 2 other people have also experienced similar problems on the BxM10....

what is this compatibility BS you're bringing up all of a sudden?

Tell me how 2 routes are compatible with each other.....

The BM5 & the QM15 have Woodhaven Blvd in common, but what the heck constitutes compatibility.....

If I'm a transit enthusiast, and Rokusix (a female) is a transit enthusiast...

Does that automatically mean we're compatible with each other?

Lmao !

How the hell can the BM5 be compatible with the QM15???? B/c they both run on Woodhaven Boulevard doesn't they can run, merge and/or be compatible. QM15 doesn't have a weekend run and you think making the BM5 run to Lindenwood will make it better. Hell no you'll have pissed off Spring Creek customers. I bet you never rode the BM5 nor the QM15 a day in you life. A QM route merging with the BM2...oh yeah that's really great NOT. You make no sense whatsoever!. Learn to ride routes b4 making fabrication plans!

Apparently he doesn't know what he's talking about!

He never learns. :mad:

Archived