Express lines...

transit bx

Well I'm going to let you know that the things that some bus driver do is because they still stuck in the PBL mentality, those guys in all the PBL hates that MTA took over, I can also tell you that all the new ppl that was trained after the take over follows the MTA rule to the tee rather those guys that's been there before the take over.

Got it, thanks. Do the PBL guys still get in trouble or does management leave them alone?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got it, thanks. Do the PBL guys still get in trouble or does management leave them alone?

well they should be allowed to use the fastest route. The real reason why I stopped using the 4C was beacause it doesn't detour reguardless of how bad the major deegan gets. The bus literally saw the traffic and drove straight into it stuck for an hour yeah it is so worth $7.50 NOT!!!!.

Back on topic I think the drivers should use good judgement. However in NJ that is harder to do as most highways don't have duplicate rtes that are as fast except in extreme traffic.

I agree with you and I understand what you're saying about the (MTA) detour policy; I just disagree with current (MTA) policy regarding detours. I mean, on local lines staying on-route matters a great deal because stops are only a couple of blocks apart, but on lines with nonstop segments the rule should be "get through the segment on time and don't break any traffic laws" because it provides more consistent on-time performance for the line and does nobody any harm. Take the BxM18, for instance.

If there's a traffic back-up on the Deegan the driver should be able to do any of the following without repercussion:

-BxM1 routing (HRD/Dyckman St/Broadway) from 125 St to 230 St

-Using River Av, Exterior St, Grant Hwy, University Av, and/or Sedgwick Av to bypass traffic jams on the Deegan

-Using any other routing, such as Grand Concourse/Kingsbridge Rd/Bailey Av, as long as the bus gets to 230 St on time.

At the same time, the bus driver would not be allowed to do any of these things (I doubt any of you guys would, but just to reassure people who get nervous over late/missing buses):

-Get on the HRD south of 125 St

-Take the Hudson over the bridge (EZPass violation and skipping the stops on 230 St and Johnson Av)

-Take a detour that causes the bus to arrive at 230 St 20-30 minutes late.

Thoughts?

Agreed that a bus driver can be allowed to do anything they want on a non-stop section in order to maintain the schedule. Just like the B30 BWI-Greenbelt express in MD that's supposed to use the Baltimore-Washington Parkway but really can use any route.

Of course the driver should notify dispatch first so they're aware where he is, but there's no need to wait for their permission.

Ok you guys are all right,this is the point with the MTA vs PBL. MTA dont care what time you get to your distenation as long as you get to point A to point B and back safely. Where as PBL days the company care about getting the passengers and mantain that schedule where safety would come last in there books, trust what im saying because i had ppl from PBL days tell me this both at EC and LGA. Guys that i had line train with tells me that ever since the MTA took over the PBL, the accident rate went down dramatilly. Even the guys that hates MTA take over said the only good thing is that the accident rate went down. So you do the math ppl, i understand what yall saying but MTA is about safety.

Do you know of any B/O's that actually get in trouble for doing this? Off-peak, I have had a number of B/O's take Park Drive East, but it is pretty rare.

What about getting on the Grand Central at the Union Turnpike/Queens Boulevard interchange and taking it to the LIE? I have been on a QM5 that took it once in a while- is that also technically not allowed?

It's very simple QM1-6ave....If anything should happen off route then the Op will have major problems ahead.

Park lane East has BUMPS now and when I used to take it even I was told the people over there don't like us using it and always called Queens Surface.

I use the Grand C Pkwy from Linden to L.I.E svc rd west but now thats the QM2-2A route .

I've heard ops using the cross isl. but I still can't figure out how they fit but me and hawk op. knows somebody who got stuck and needed 3 tow trucks to get him out of the mud lol

I had a guy like that once on the BxM18 coming from Wall St who took a couple of minor detours (6 Av/26 St/Madison Av instead of 6 Av/23 St/Madison Av in Manhattan and 138 St/River Av/Exterior St instead of the Major Deegan as far as the Macombs Dam Bridge) headed north. How likely is there to be trouble over an incident like that, given that I figure he wound up shaving a few minutes off the trip that way. Personally, I think that B/Os should be allowed to use their judgement on nonstop sections in the interest of avoiding traffic jams.

WELL SAID!!!!!!! Too bad the BXM4C never did that when I used to use it it would sit in traffic for an hour happened 2 times in a row and after that I literally gave up on the BXM4C now at $7.50 I have no reason to even think about that bus anymore.

While it seems like it makes sense to the both of you; the driver can get into some shyt if something happens. I dont take a detour unless control approves it. Down here if the ACE backs up they tell us whatever route we need to take to get there, take it, which in other words you must take the Black Horse Pike, or Route 30 if your a 319. The only other way you can take a detour is if something happens out of nowhere and you have to follow the detour the police gave at the moment.

It's very simple QM1-6ave....If anything should happen off route then the Op will have major problems ahead.

Park lane East has BUMPS now and when I used to take it even I was told the people over there don't like us using it and always called Queens Surface.

I use the Grand C Pkwy from Linden to L.I.E svc rd west but now thats the QM2-2A route .

I've heard ops using the cross isl. but I still can't figure out how they fit but me and hawk op. knows somebody who got stuck and needed 3 tow trucks to get him out of the mud lol

HAHAHA!! I would love to watch some video of that tow operation.

Ok the QM10, 11, 12 routings are hard to explain simply by looking at a map, let me see if I can clarify a bit since I used to take all 3 routes pretty frequently.

the QM12 is the most straightforward since it doesn't operate via the Lefrak loop. Manhattanbound, it starts at the Q23 terminal, goes onto Yellowstone, turns at 62 Drive and then takes the LIE. It never crosses the LIE in anyway, and stays on the south side of the highway (as said previously, you can't transfer from the 12 to the Q38 in Corona)

the QM11 is the oddball of the three. in the mornings, it starts at Queens Blvd & Ascan Av and makes local stops on QBL (along with the QM18) and turns right at 63 Drive, where it meets the...

...QM10. Both routes follow the same route thereonafter: both travel up to 108 St, turn left, pass under the highway, and turn left again on the westbound service road (the path that the Elmhurst-bound Q88 takes). [because of all that construction on 108 st the qm10 and qm11 now have an extra 82 turns to make, but that story's for another day]

Then, you can follow the map and see how the QM10+11 reach the highway.

Going Queens bound, the Qm10 does a pretty simple loop. the first stop coming from the LIE (if it chooses to do so) is actually located underneath the overpass of the highway and it is one of the sketchiest stops in all of the (MTA). it then heads over to its first stop @ 63 Drive and basically follows the same AM route, but this time dropping off passengers instead of picking them up.

the QM11 is strange in that it makes local stops along Queens Blvd going east (following the Q60 to S Jamaica route) and then makes a Uturn at Ascan Av. It then goes nonstop back to Rego Park and does what the qm10 does.

regarding any plans to make these routes more efficient, I've definitely advocated for a combination of the QM10+12, but in regards to the QM11, it severely needs a change in routing but I can't think of a feasible plan, since there are a good number of people who use that bus in Forst Hills, Rego Park, and Corona.

I agree with the QM10/12 combo. As for the QM11 in the eastbound direction it should serve Rego Park via the QM10 loop first and end at Ascan Avenue. Run the current route then Junction Bl, 62 Dr to QB

I understand what your saying,but when we do detours it comes from the command center. If that operator had got into a accident, the first thing they going to ask is who ask you to go that way.Also you dont know whos watching you on the streets or on the bus. I garanteed the guys that use there own detours are guys thats from the PBL intend of the MTA (ZEREGA) mantality like myself. Trust what im telling you lol these guys hates the MTA cause they cant do what they want anymore.

While it seems like it makes sense to the both of you; the driver can get into some shyt if something happens. I dont take a detour unless control approves it. Down here if the ACE backs up they tell us whatever route we need to take to get there, take it, which in other words you must take the Black Horse Pike, or Route 30 if your a 319. The only other way you can take a detour is if something happens out of nowhere and you have to follow the detour the police gave at the moment.

Both of these statements are 100% accurate.

If an op gets into an accident on a detour that was not approved, they are as good as done! If it was their fault, they now open the door for MTA to be heavily sued as well.

It's a very easy way to get yourself fired on the spot. I'd rather be late, and maybe even get a little o/t. But going off route isn't worth the risk involved just to shave a few minutes off a trip.

If an op gets into an accident on a detour that was not approved, they are as good as done! If it was their fault, they now open the door for MTA to be heavily sued as well.

It's a very easy way to get yourself fired on the spot. I'd rather be late, and maybe even get a little o/t. But going off route isn't worth the risk involved just to shave a few minutes off a trip.

Exactly what I'm saying, your right ENY the MTA don't care about how fast you get your customers to there destination. Safety first is what the MTA is all about and yes if I'm running late oh well at least I'm getting OT for it, I get paid by the hours not by the miles.

problem if the route is continuously late RIDERSHIP WILL DROP!!!!!!!!!!!!! which inlcudes the route getting axed eventually now think about that. With MTA sharpening the axe you do not want to put ridership in danger

problem if the route is continuously late RIDERSHIP WILL DROP!!!!!!!!!!!!! which inlcudes the route getting axed eventually now think about that. With MTA sharpening the axe you do not want to put ridership in danger

But that's irrelevant. This is about safety and policy. There is no compromise here. If you don't have authorization from command, or the police to deviate from a route, you are dead wrong!

But that's irrelevant. This is about safety and policy. There is no compromise here. If you don't have authorization from command, or the police to deviate from a route, you are dead wrong!

What ppl don't get where there is traffic, the short cut that you think will be faster will most likely have traffic also cause everyone is trying to go the same way. Now someone said something about your going to lose customers. There is nothing that no one can do when it comes to traffic, this been happening for years.

This has nothing to do with a detour.

Stop coming up with excuses as to why a detour should be taken to shave time. Its not worth losing your job over. A bus is suppose to stay on its route and must not carry passengers on any other road(unless otherwise told) that was not approved due to weight limits and such.

Yes drivers do it and yes they are good as done if caught because if a accident happens with 55ppl on that bus on with route that isnt approved then your going to have people suing out the ass if they are injured.

This has nothing to do with a detour.

Stop coming up with excuses as to why a detour should be taken to shave time. Its not worth losing your job over. A bus is suppose to stay on its route and must not carry passengers on any other road(unless otherwise told) that was not approved due to weight limits and such.

Yes drivers do it and yes they are good as done if caught because if a accident happens with 55ppl on that bus on with route that isnt approved then your going to have people suing out the ass if they are injured.

Exactly. The driver isn't the one that cares about ridership. It's up to the people who permit the detours to approve the detour if ridership is a concern of theirs.

I was referring to detour policy of the routes rather than the driver himself

Detour policy is pretty much the same at most all agencies. They have to be approve unless you have no choice but to deviate. But when and if you do, you are to notify command immediately so they are aware of the situation.

I hold contacts of about 60 industry executives. More than half of them are CEO's or CMO's (Chief Maintenance Officers). Of the ones that are actually at transit agencies, I guarantee they will all say the same thing.

Absolute no no, unless approved, or you have no choice. But you still need to contact command on the spot because the op may chose to go down a street that has weight restrictions as 553 stated. Then you risk a fine, suspension and termination. And PLEASE don't be on probation!

I can make some calls and check, but I'm almost 100% positive this goes for ALL public transit agencies.

Detour policy is pretty much the same at most all agencies. They have to be approve unless you have no choice but to deviate. But when and if you do, you are to notify command immediately so they are aware of the situation.

I hold contacts of about 60 industry executives. More than half of them are CEO's or CMO's (Chief Maintenance Officers). Of the ones that are actually at transit agencies, I guarantee they will all say the same thing.

Absolute no no, unless approved, or you have no choice. But you still need to contact command on the spot because the op may chose to go down a street that has weight restrictions as 553 stated. Then you risk a fine, suspension and termination. And PLEASE don't be on probation!

I can make some calls and check, but I'm almost 100% positive this goes for ALL public transit agencies.

The bee-line needs to reroute BXM4C or kill it!!!!!! I prefer its complete oblivion. It's that ass line that is never on-time it's time it gets axed. However luckily in NJ the traffic is nowhere near as bad so a situation like that doesn't happen often

The bee-line needs to reroute BXM4C or kill it!!!!!! I prefer its complete oblivion. It's that ass line that is never on-time it's time it gets axed. However luckily in NJ the traffic is nowhere near as bad so a situation like that doesn't happen often

Im sorry mods!

But; What the **** are you talking about? Are you bi-polar? That has nothing to do with what East New York said.

With the MTA "sharpening the axe", Why would drivers put their own asses on the line by not DOING their jobs ?? When is suggesting the contrary EVER a good idea......

ridership has f*** all to do with anything here.... Your focus is in the wrong place...

QuarterPounder your merges and shaved detours and combos are getting me f n sick ....Can you please go help the needy or something GOSH ,I've never seen so many different route descriptions come from one person ,Your like KING G.O. for buses .Leave it to myself and the rest of the Professionals to deal with Bus Operations ok

QuarterPounder your merges and shaved detours and combos are getting me f n sick ....Can you please go help the needy or something GOSH ,I've never seen so many different route descriptions come from one person ,Your like KING G.O. for buses .Leave it to myself and the rest of the Professionals to deal with Bus Operations ok

Exactly my point lol. And to those that are bus operators and members of transit, you all know what we talking about when it comes to this topic.

Archived