Jersey City In The IBOA Days

For any one at NYC Transit Forums who's interested in Jersey City bus history, this was Jersey City in the true IBOA days. Bus Talk has a nice photo section which includes images of each of these companies (primarily late 1960's through early 1980's):

Bergen Avenue IBOA:

1081 Broadway Bayonne

A single route that served Bergen Avenue, Old Bergen Road and Garfield Avenue.

Central Avenue IBOA:

297 Communipaw Avenue Jersey City

At its' peak, Central Avenue operated a main route which served Central, Baldwin, Garfield and Princeton Avenues and a Western Slope route which served Liberty Avenue between Manhattan Avenue and Hague Street.

Downtown Bus Company:

1 Oxford Avenue Jersey City

Operated the #5, 6 and 31

Lafayette And Greenville

119 Merrit Street and 44 State Street both Jersey City

Operated the "Local", which included the #3. The #3 ran Journal Square to Merrit Street via Summit and Ocean Avenues while the "Local" ran to Exchange Place.

Montgomery And West Side (A & C Transit)

395 Danforth Avenue

Still operates today.

North Boulevard Transportation Company/Red And Tan

437 Tonnele Avenue Jersey City

Operated the #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6

South Boulevard Bus Owners Association/Drogin

53 Kennedy Boulevard Bayonne

Operated the #10, #55, #99 and #99S

Transport Of New Jersey

The Transport Of New Jersey was the predessor of New Jersey Transit and the successor to Public Service.

In the 1970's, TNJ operated the #1 (same number today), #7 (#87), #9 (#80 today), #14 (#81), #15 (#85), #16 (#83), #18 (#82), #43 (same number), #44 (#84) locally.

The Heights had service on Liberty Avenue (Manhattan Avenue to Hague Street): Central Avenue IBOA; The Boulevard: North Boulevard #1, #2 (Journal Square to Manhattan Avenue) and #5; Summit Avenue: TNJ #16 and #18; Central Avenue TNJ #7 (to Franklin/Ferry Streets) and Central Avenue IBOA (Booraem Avenue to Hague Street); Baldwin/Webster Avenues: Central Avenue IBOA (Booraem Avenue south) and Palisade Avenue: TNJ #7 (Franklin/Ferry Streets to Congress Street), 44 and via the 99 and 99S.

For any one at NYC Transit Forums who's interested in Jersey City bus history, this was Jersey City in the true IBOA days. Bus Talk has a nice photo section which includes images of each of these companies (primarily late 1960's through early 1980's):

Bergen Avenue IBOA:

1081 Broadway Bayonne

Central Avenue IBOA:

At its' peak, Central Avenue operated a main route which served Central, Baldwin, Garfield and Princeton Avenues and a Western Slope route which served Liberty Avenue between Manhattan Avenue and Hague Street.

Downtown Bus Company:

Lafayette And Greenville

Operated the "Local", which included the #3. The #3 ran Journal Square to Merrit Street via Summit and Ocean Avenues while the "Local" ran to Exchange Place.

395 Danforth Avenue

Still operates today.

Transport Of New Jersey

The Transport Of New Jersey was the predessor of New Jersey Transit and the successor to Public Service.

In the 1970's, TNJ operated the #1 (same number today), #7 (#87), #9 (#80 today), #14 (#81), #15 (#85), #16 (#83), #18 (#82), #43 (same number), #44 (#84) locally.

The Heights had service on Liberty Avenue (Manhattan Avenue to Hague Street): Central Avenue IBOA; The Boulevard: North Boulevard #1, #2 (Journal Square to Manhattan Avenue) and #5; Summit Avenue: TNJ #16 and #18; Central Avenue TNJ #7 (to Franklin/Ferry Streets) and Central Avenue IBOA (Booraem Avenue to Hague Street); Baldwin/Webster Avenues: Central Avenue IBOA (Booraem Avenue south) and Palisade Avenue: TNJ #7 (Franklin/Ferry Streets to Congress Street), 44 and via the 99 and 99S.

can you tell me about the old 304 and 325 lines??? the 304 ran from saddle brook to newark airport via harmon meadow can you tell me more about it's schedule historically????

I was listing Jersey City IBOAs as I remembered them when I was growing up in Jersey City in the 1970's, first at 128 Thorne Street then at 180 Thorne Street and finally at 103 Beacon Avenue.

If I heard/read correctly, Brunswick Street once had bus service, but that ended in 1968 when I was five.

I recall Lafayette And Greenville acquired Downtown Bus Company and operated the now combined #5/6, #31, as well as the "Local" (which, I believe became the Red And Tan In Hudson County #4) and the #3 plus as you mention the #16.

But the #16 I really recall was the Summit Avenue route operated by Public Service/Transport Of New Jersey.

Putting on my thinking cap: West Side Avenue was served by Montgomery And West Side and by TNJ #9; The Boulevard was served by South Boulevard Bus Owners Association #10 (#55 Pamrapo to Communipaw Avenues); Summit Avenue by Lafayette And Greenville #3; Bergen Avenue by Bergen Avenue IBOA; Baldwin Avenue by Central Avenue IBOA; Jackson Avenue (today Dr. martin Luther King, Jr. Drive)/Monticello Avenue by TNJ #7; Ocean Avenue by Lafayette And Greenville the "Local" and #3 and Garfield Avenue (to Danforth Avenue) by the Central Avenue IBOA. At Danforth Avenue, Central Avenue turned to and served Princeton Avenue to Gates Avenue.

I've fond memories of G.M.C. Old Looks on Central Avenue IBOA (brown), Bergen Avenue (white and orange - the State Colors) and on Montgomery And West Side (burgundy, or maybe maroon.

you forgot about the 16 it was a L&G line before coach usa

Bergen Avenue IBOA:

1081 Broadway Bayonne

Central Avenue IBOA:

Downtown Bus Company:

Lafayette And Greenville

395 Danforth Avenue

Still operates today.

Transport Of New Jersey

Wasn't the present Rt 83 line formerly known As the Rt 124 line?

You missed the Rt 22X formerly known Rt 89 (Rt 19-26).

Rt 16 was L&G.

There was also a Rt 97 Journal Square to Rutherrford via Secaucus.

Bergen Avenue IBOA:

1081 Broadway Bayonne

Central Avenue IBOA:

Downtown Bus Company:

Lafayette And Greenville

395 Danforth Avenue

Still operates today.

Transport Of New Jersey

The 99 route was actually run by Red and Tan along Ocean ave.

Much thanks for the correction, my friend. Are there any memories you would like to share of the IBOA days?
Many memories of those bus lines back in the late 60's early 70's. I lived on a great corner to watch buses.

Ocean and Neptune aves. There were 4 bus routes that crossed there Greenville-lafayette, Bergen ave, Public service rt 14 now the 81 and Red and tans rt 99. They had some great fishbowls and GM old looks on those routes. I can kick myself for not taking pics back then, but I was a kid and was out having fun. Like riding my bike or playing ball with friends not like today with computers and video games. If I could go back the late 60's would be the time with camera in hand for sure.

Montgomery & Westside was my line when I had to troop via Sip ave to Boyd every weekend :tup::tup:Good ol' days.440 Shopper also gets the thumbs:tup:
I lived on Boyd ave in the mid 70's just west of the blvd. My first job was at the A&P supermarket at westside ave and union st.

Interesting - that (West Side Avenue) was one of my favorite places to hang in the 1970's. Do you recall the G.M.C. Old Looks on the Montgomery And West Side and was their color burgundy or maroon or is my memory off?

I lived on Boyd ave in the mid 70's just west of the blvd. My first job was at the A&P supermarket at westside ave and union st.

Interesting - that (West Side Avenue) was one of my favorite places to hang in the 1970's. Do you recall the G.M.C. Old Looks on the Montgomery And West Side and was their color burgundy or maroon or is my memory off?
Yeah they were dark red with the black stripe the were numbered in the 200's. And they had 2 fishbowls in the early 70's numbered 259 and 271. They got more later on in the 70's as the old looks retired. I found a photo of one of the old looks number 258.

Archived