Names that are near extinct.

St Louis Car 09

I was lost in translation thinking about names.throughout existence names have come and go through many eras.For example.Names like Betty,Sue,Ellen,Ted,Archibald and Gomer of the 1950s were popular,but now and days those names aren't given to newborns.Newer and even modified versions of common names are common place.What are your opinions on the evolution of names?

Geraldine, Archie, Stewart, Hank. Anyone else agree?

But I find these things go by region, so I live in Montreal, so I'm sure it's not the same for you NY'ers.

And probably the most famous name is North-America is "Bob" but I don't know anyone named Bob or even Bobby!

Geraldine, Archie, Stewart, Hank. Anyone else agree?

But I find these things go by region, so I live in Montreal, so I'm sure it's not the same for you NY'ers.

And probably the most famous name is North-America is "Bob" but I don't know anyone named Bob or even Bobby!

"Bobs" usually Roberts but it's cooler to go by Rob.

Bob sounds like the balding a**hole that works at the office whose wife cheats on him when he goes on business trips.

Names I NEVER see in younger generations:

-Gladys

-Phyllis

-Ellen

-Geraldine

-Ethel

-Muriel

-Edith

-Gretchen

-Cordelia

-Ambrose

-Archibald

-Chester

-Hubert

-Delbert

-Roosevelt

-Grover

-Ira

-Horace

-Obediah

-Silas

-Irv

Down here in Texas we have a large Latino population and i am seeing small Hispanic children with names like...

Martha

Matilda

Lucille

Virginia

Ruth

ETC

but what do i know My Girfreind's name is Juanita and she is from Tennessee and is 100% white American and as country as i am Yankee

"Bobs" usually Roberts but it's cooler to go by Rob.

Bob sounds like the balding a**hole that works at the office whose wife cheats on him when he goes on business trips.

Names I NEVER see in younger generations:

-Gladys

-Phyllis

-Ellen

-Geraldine

-Ethel

-Muriel

-Edith

-Gretchen

-Cordelia

-Ambrose

-Archibald

-Chester

-Hubert

-Delbert

-Roosevelt

-Grover

-Ira

-Horace

-Obediah

-Silas

-Irv

Also a lot of the above are some names i hear of the Mexican American kids in my hood i am not lying

Haven't thought much about it...

....but I'm sick of seeing the blatant misspellings of common names just b/c parents are tryna be "different" but lazy at the same time....

I agree... They think it's cool or something to have these names that are next to impossible to pronounce/spell. On the other hand I don't use my first name professionally because Americans just butcher it. I used to use my full name and then I decided to just use my middle name (VITTORIO) and my last name. Amazingly people still find a way to f*ck that up too. They always want to add a "C" in my name even when I tell them that there isn't one. lol

Also a lot of the above are some names i hear of the Mexican American kids in my hood i am not lying

LOL... Latinos are getting all of these gringo first names or last names as first names like "Robinson". Not sure what is up with that. I love my name (VITTORIO) and I don't allow anyone to Americanize it either. A translator addressed me as "Victor" today and I kindly told her that my name is not Americanized. lol If I wanted to be named Victor then that would be my name.

Here in Tucson, we've a Mabel Street, and a Helen Street but I don't know anyone with that name.

So far, I've made friends with a Lawson, Martine, two Freds, Shaun, Danny, Brandi, Pam, Anna, Tina, Lisa, and a Denise.

names that are near EXTINCT not who you know?

Haven't thought much about it...

....but I'm sick of seeing the blatant misspellings of common names just b/c parents are tryna be "different" but lazy at the same time....

Could be worse, you could be a child of a Hollyweird star with weird names like Seven, Apple, Suri etc. That's just setting up kids for mental abuse for the rest of their lives. Kids are not objects. name pets like that, not people...

Could be worse, you could be a child of a Hollyweird star with weird names like Seven, Apple, Suri etc. That's just setting up kids for mental abuse for the rest of their lives. Kids are not objects. name pets like that, not people...

If you named a kid Rasputin do you think that would have a negative effect on his life?

i agree 100% When naming children remember what you went through as a child and what other kids put up with as far as Hollyweird goes the stars will do what they want but the fans of the stars will saddle their kids with crazy names to be like the stars

i agree 100% When naming children remember what you went through as a child and what other kids put up with as far as Hollyweird goes the stars will do what they want but the fans of the stars will saddle their kids with crazy names to be like the stars

I remember when George Costanza tried to get these people to name a kid Soda, then he wanted them to name it Seven.

GC I think you missed the seinfeld refrence lol

Archived