The MTA’s Sinister Plot To Destroy The B64

BrooklynBus

The taxi argument is two-fold....

To give an example - Surely, the Atlantic mall folks aren't underserved when it comes to buses, but those taxi's still line up along that Pathmark !

I don't think it's so much that KCH folks aren't served all that well by the 12 & the 44 (not saying it's not a factor), just as much as it is taxi's out to make the easiest & quickest buck that they can.... even if you re-route the B43 to KCH, those sons of guns will still be there, I guarantee it.....

taxi's generally loiter outside hospitals, malls, supermarkets, and RR stations - if we're talkin about the suburbs).... they loiter around certain subway stations also, but that's mainly b/c "the taxi's faster" than the buses that serve said subway stations......

Sounds to me the taxis are lined up by Pathmark because people can't carry 15 shopping bags easily onto a city bus. That's why they opt for car service, not because of a problem with the routes.

I was going to KCH everyday for six weeks straight and I think I saw like 15 cars each day soliciting passengers which to me indicates a routing problem. By contrast, at Coney Island Hospital, I usually see only 2 or 3 car service cars.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds to me the taxis are lined up by Pathmark because people can't carry 15 shopping bags easily onto a city bus. That's why they opt for car service, not because of a problem with the routes.

I was going to KCH everyday for six weeks straight and I think I saw like 15 cars each day soliciting passengers which to me indicates a routing problem. By contrast, at Coney Island Hospital, I usually see only 2 or 3 car service cars.

tell me somethin.... how many taxi's do you see lined up at (Brooklyn's) VA hospital..... at Lutheran... at Maimonides.... at Long island college hospital... hell, even at Brookdale....

they don't have to line up at methodist b/c there's a car service about 2 blocks away from it...

coney island hosp. & woodhull hosp. (which is right along a subway line) are served by a number of bus routes.... of course you're not gonna see many taxi's at CIH.....

You're not gonna persuade me that taxi's line up at KCH solely b/c bus coverage isn't adequate.... I mean that WAS the basis behind you bringing up the B12 & the B44 regarding KCH wasn't it....

far as the taxi's lining up at supermarkets, you're makin my point for me.... regardless of how many bags shoppers have on their person, taxi's still line up over there... I'm not the one talking about a routing problem as to why taxi's converge in a given area....

tell me somethin.... how many taxi's do you see lined up at (Brooklyn's) VA hospital..... at Lutheran... at Maimonides.... at Long island college hospital... hell, even at Brookdale....

You're not gonna persuade me that taxi's line up at KCH solely b/c bus coverage isn't adequate.... I mean that WAS the basis behind you bringing up the B12 & the B44 regarding KCH wasn't it....

QUOTE]

Of the hospitals you mentioned, the only ones I'm familiar with are Coney Island and Maimonidies. At both of them I've never seen more than two or three cars if that many. I've been to Lutheran a few times and didn't see any, but I wasn't looking for them either. They may have been on the other side. But at KCH, there were about a dozen every single day. You couldn't miss them. That's a big difference. I don't know what it would take to change your mind so I'm not going to try.

Of the hospitals you mentioned, the only ones I'm familiar with are Coney Island and Maimonidies. At both of them I've never seen more than two or three cars if that many. I've been to Lutheran a few times and didn't see any, but I wasn't looking for them either. They may have been on the other side. But at KCH, there were about a dozen every single day. You couldn't miss them. That's a big difference. I don't know what it would take to change your mind so I'm not going to try.

lol.... I never denied there weren't a lot of cabs at KCH.... They still line up along Clarkson to this day in decent/significant enough numbers....

• 4 months later...

The B/64 should have never been changed at all. This was a route that connected two major traffic generators (Bay Ridge shopping center and Coney Island) and was the alternate route when there was a problem with the subway. I rode this route as it was reliable and it carried a lot of passengers. When they cut the service, it impacted upon the B/36 as (unlike the B/82) the B/64 was on schedule almost all the time.

The number of passengers transferring from the B/1 to the B/64 did not justify changing the terminals. In fact I think that the Bay Ridge Avenue portion is the target as it goes to nowhere (other than the high school what else is there at Shore Road and Bay Ridge Avenue). A better terminal would be the Lutheran Medical Center on 56th Street and 1st Avenue as (other than the B/11 what else goes there?) and it would generate the revenue to justify the service

I had to ride the B/1 to and from 86th Street and 4th Avenue for three months before i retired and I found myself getting to work at least 1/2 hour later and getting home about 1/2 hour later. For a 2 1/2 hour trip each way, I was doing 14 hour days.It was commonplace to see at 4th Avenue three B/1's and 2-3 S/79"s there at the same time.Did someone forget the traffic on 86th Street from 18th Avenue to 23rd Avenue and its impact upon the B/1? Can you imagine if the S/79 select bus would have come to fruition and what would go on there?

This proves my theory again, the best ideas come from those that ride and work and not from the top.

The B/64 should have never been changed at all....The number of passengers transferring from the B/1 to the B/64 did not justify changing the terminals.

You can't go by the numbers transfering. That's only part of the story. Some B1 passengers bound for 86th Street and 4th Avenue chose to stay on the B1 until Bay Ridge Avenue and 5th Avenue and change there instead for the B63. Although it was a longer bus ride, because of the better headways of the B63 it was a more attractive alternative especially during the winter since many preferred to stay on the bus and wait 5 minutes for the B63 than wait 15 or 20 for the B64.

Archived