U.S. Government Agencies obtaining Facebook warrants.

Acela Express

US law enforcement agencies, including the FBI, DEA, and ICE, are increasingly obtaining warrants to search Facebook. Not only do they gain access to Facebook accounts, but it often occurs with the user’s knowledge. Personal data obtained can include messages, status updates, links to videos and photographs, calendars of future and past events, Wall postings, and even rejected friend requests.

Source: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/facebook/us-law-enforcement-agencies-increasingly-obtaining-facebook-warrants/2156?tag=mantle_skin;content

this should not surprise anyone.

Social networking used to be cool and fun, now it just sucks. It's a necessary evil to keep in touch with some people, but don't put any valuable information out there, and don't say anything stupid because big brother is always gonna be watching...

This is why you don't add people you don't know. This is also why you don't volunteer every tidbit of your life on the internet.

Totally agreed with this.

Does it help if my profile's private? Anyone who's not on my friend's list won't find me.

Does it help if my profile's private? Anyone who's not on my friend's list won't find me.

Mine is too and it does help, but like Joe said, private means only your "friends" can see it. Facebook also makes it hard to completely hide your profile from everyone, so it is possible for a total stranger to see a minimalist view of your profile (picture, name, sex and possibly the city you live in depending on your settings).

Big corporations are using social networking sites, such as Facebook, to use against their employees.

It's a fu*ked up world.

Given enough time...corporations and marketers and advertisers f*** up everything.

Radio

Television

The Internet

Social Networking

Facebook can still access everything you've ever put on that account. So can any law enforcement agency contacting them holding a proper warrant for that information.

Background check agencies MAY be able to...I'm less sure about what the rights are for them to access, but I trust facebook as far as I can throw an arnine which is to say not at all.

Given enough time...corporations and marketers and advertisers f*** up everything.

Radio

Television

The Internet

Social Networking

So does the government.... so its a lose-lose situation.

That's too bad. I always wished humanity was better than that.

Well, as stated already, never post up any specific info: address, numbers, etc. and obviously pics you don't want anyone to see publicly.

I treat fb and such places as if there was no privacy option. One way or another someone will see everything posted there regardless of the settings. So safe bet is to assume that what you post will be seen.

To go into the paranoia levels [put on the tinfoil hat], I wouldn't put it past anyone that private pcs could be monitored via internet connections. So best to clear out any 'private stuff' to an external hd or something.

"uhhh... We have a facebook warrant out for your arrest, sir"

*smh*

Y'know, back then when you went to go & fill out a job application, the oddest thing on there they used to ask of you was your e-mail address (although optional).... Now you look at an application, and they have an entry reading "website", or somethin similar.....

Since ppl. are so zealous about adding anyone, and letting people know they have a facebook, lotta these fools go & put their (then myspace, but now) facebook URL on a job application..... Taking the bait.

real brilliant.... next time you up that pic holdin those glock 9's in the air, or grindin up on some chick lookin drunk as a goddam skunk, or "posin for the fellas" (if you're a woman), or just postin/sayin whatever that doesn't put you in a professional/positive light.....

Don't be surprised if you actually got an offer, and you've been terminated a few weeks later.... matter fact, don't be surprised as to why you've been denied an offer...

I've nothing to worry about

Same here. I can't wait to see who will be the first person they arrest off there from this. My Facebook page is for posting quirky fun stuff. Otherwise I don't post. I still remember a certain person who used to post here having everything he was doing and going to be doing with time stamps. LOL!

*smh*

Y'know, back then when you went to go & fill out a job application, the oddest thing on there they used to ask of you was your e-mail address (although optional).... Now you look at an application, and they have an entry reading "website", or somethin similar.....

Since ppl. are so zealous about adding anyone, and letting people know they have a facebook, lotta these fools go & put their (then myspace, but now) facebook URL on a job application..... Taking the bait.

real brilliant.... next time you up that pic holdin those glock 9's in the air, or grindin up on some chick lookin drunk as a goddam skunk, or "posin for the fellas" (if you're a woman), or just postin/sayin whatever that doesn't put you in a professional/positive light.....

Don't be surprised if you actually got an offer, and you've been terminated a few weeks later.... matter fact, don't be surprised as to why you've been denied an offer...

Unless something is required, I never give it out.

That especially goes for cell phone number. If they ask me about it, I'll confront them and say, if I was an 80 year old man with no cell phone what would you do about it? And they always let it go.

Same goes for website, Facebook, etc.

There is no reason to give out your personal information to prospective employers. All they need is your name, address, home phone, and in some cases SSN. Bank accounts, websites, alternate phone numbers, etc. are none of their business, and they legally cannot discriminate against you if you don't answer those questions because lots of people do not have Facebook or maintain personal websites etc.

many people my age are especially stupid when it comes to be posting things on facebook..... so if your profile pic is of you at a party half naked with a needle in your arm, just wow. Moron of the Year award... I ain't making this up

wow.

Reminds me of kids I used to see on that site who'd post pictures of themselves holding gigantic bags of weed as their profile pic and were surprised when the cops knocked on their door.

*smh*

Anyone putting a facebook account on a job app is an idiot. One of the supervisors I was talking to a few weeks ago asked me if I had a facebook and I told him no and he started laughing and asked if I been under a rock. My response to him was "i have a life". I mean I understand its a way to keep in thouch with people but in todays world, its asking for nothing but trouble. IMO there are more productive things in life to do then waste time on facebook.

When the damn pope signed up for twitter I didnt have anything to say.

If your putting all types of info on your facebook and have it searched then you have nothing to complain about. If your putting all that info on there and your knowingly and willingly asking for it to be searched.

Private on facebook = your profile will still be seen. Its impossible to block everything.

With the way cell phones are wwith texting there should be no reason people cant keep in touch with one another. Imo texting is safer thenn facebook.

keep in mind, though, that there have actually been cases where a prospective employee (the case I read about in the news was with a guy in his upper teens) was not hired because he did not have a facebook account at all and the interviewer thought that was too weird. To be fair, it was a kid looking for a job in a communications/PR type business, but still.

Archived