Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Shortline Bus

Rupert Murdoch hacking scandal in the UK and possibly beyond?

Murdoch papers targeted Gordon Brown; ex-PM's bank, legal, family medical records hacked: reports

BY Philip Caulfield

NY DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday July 13, 2011

Journalists from Rupert Murdoch's embattled British newspaper empire repeatedly hacked into the private accounts of former British Prime Minister Gordon Brown.

Reporters from several Murdoch-owned papers allegedly sought to dig up dirt on the former Labour party leader by hacking into his bank account, legal files, family medical records and other private records, according to bombshell reports by British news agencies.

The new allegations included charges against The Sunday Times, the august broadsheet that had yet to be touched by the mushrooming scandal, which forced Murdoch to shutter his New of the World tabloid on Sunday.

Murdoch also owns the New York Post.

The British hacks allegedly took place over the course of a decade, during Brown's service as both Chancellor of the Exchequer and as prime minister.

Brown's bank, Abbey National, found evidence that a conman working for The Sunday Times in 2000 stole private bank records by posing as the former prime minister on the phone or on the Web - an illegal practice known as "blagging," the BBC reported.

Sources told the Guardian that Scotland Yard found references to both Brown and his wife in records seized from Genn Mulcaire, a private investigator who allegedly specialized in the hacking of phones for the News of the World.

The Browns also feared that medical records of their son, Fraser, were stolen by the Murdoch's flagship tabloid, The Sun, for a story about the boy's cystic fibrosis in 2006, according to the BBC.

There was also evidence that Brown's tax records were stolen from the offices of his accountants in 1998, the Guardian said.

News International, Murdoch's newspaper publishing arm in the U.K., said in a statement, "We note the allegations made today concerning the reporting of matters relating to Gordon Brown. So that we can investigate these matters further, we ask that all information concerning these allegations is provided to us."

Officials from Scotland Yard recently contacted Brown and his wife to tell them that their information had cropped up during the investigation into phone hacking at the News of the World, tagged "Operation Weeting."

If the charges are true, Brown would join a long list of Labour party members who were targeted by News International hackers, including former Prime Minister Tony Blair. "

Let me make my view on this clear:

What the News of the World did was wrong. It was a despicable act. I do not know if Murdoch was directly involved so I will not jump to conclusions. However, let me make this clear: FOX NEWS, whether you like it or not, has NOTHING to do with this. In addition to that, FOX NEWS has reported this story.

Why must everyone blame Rupert Murdoch for it? I highly doubt that stuff was a directive from him. He just owns the company, and he's a darned good businessman for being one of the top media moguls in the world.

What I think happened there was a paper that was getting desperate for crazy stories, much like all the tabloids "creating" stories to sell copy. They got caught, so Murdoch did the sensible thing and fired them all, literally.

What the News of the World did was wrong. It was a despicable act. I do not know if Murdoch was directly involved so I will not jump to conclusions. However, let me make this clear: FOX NEWS, whether you like it or not, has NOTHING to do with this. In addition to that, FOX NEWS has reported this story.

A company reporting the doings of their parent company does not innocent make.

Why must everyone blame Rupert Murdoch for it? I highly doubt that stuff was a directive from him. He just owns the company, and he's a darned good businessman for being one of the top media moguls in the world.

What I think happened there was a paper that was getting desperate for crazy stories, much like all the tabloids "creating" stories to sell copy. They got caught, so Murdoch did the sensible thing and fired them all, literally.

A good businessman usually knows the doings of all of his companies on some level. The problem is that this expands beyond News of the World and is now including The Sun, another very popular Murdoch owned paper. Given the scope of the story it shouldn't be surprising that foreign governments are starting inquests into the depth of the wrongdoings.

I don't believe Murdoch himself did anything wrong (for now), but in my eyes he is a bad boss for not knowing what went on.

No matter what happens from this point(this could get worse for Murdoch)this is already the lowest point of his carrer personally. His plans to get full ownership of Sky Broadcasting is now gone. Not to mention, the UK Government is planning to hold major hearings into the hacking scandal.

Here news link.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2011-07-13-News-Corp-BSkyB_n.htm

Keep drinking that kool aid.

You'd think based on this response you personally WORKED for News Corporation or Murdoch himself, or are a close friend or family member.

Lay off the cult kool aid.

For news agency, Fox News sucks. That's indisputable. If it entertains you, fine, you're allowed to like it, but it is not "news."

If Murdoch's company was hacking, he is directly responsible. Guess what CEO a**holes, that's why you get paid the big bucks - to PERSONALLY take the fall when your company does something against the rules.

For news agency, Fox News sucks. That's indisputable. If it entertains you, fine, you're allowed to like it, but it is not "news."

If we go by those standards, MSNBC and CNN are not "news" either. Plenty of entertainment there, I'll tell ya.

If we go by those standards, MSNBC and CNN are not "news" either. Plenty of entertainment there, I'll tell ya.

I agree.

But their existence does not make what Fox News does "OK" either...

Finding real news in this country is damn near impossible nowadays. All you have are two bit whores and Monday morning quarterbacks offering their unwanted "opinions"

I like how its set up here, theres Fox News for republicans, and MSNBC and CNN for democrats, everyone gets their news in a way that they can relate to. Only people that loose out are independants I guess.

Tosh, Independents get CNN!

Or they can flip between the channels every 15 seconds. They'd get the news eventually.

Tosh, Independents get CNN!

Or they can flip between the channels every 15 seconds. They'd get the news eventually.

or how about FoxNN its just a split screen of CNN and Fox News, perfect for the independant minded individual, they can watch Bill Oreily next to Larry King lol

IT'S NOT NEWS. It's propoganda.

It's like watching a Mets game against the Royals where the Royals pitcher strikes out 15, the Mets lose by 21 runs, and all you hear about is the "lucky breaks" for the Royals, how great the few plays the Mets get right actually are, and how generally incompetent the Royals actually are.

While the Royals fan listens to how the Royals, despite beating the Mets by 21 runs, who are last in the AL Central, are a dominant team, always play to the best of their ability, have several sure fire all stars, and can turn water into wine and walk on both.

If you're a Mets fan, you're happy listening to the Mets broadcast.

If you're a Royals fan, you're happy listening to the Royals broadcast.

But if you're a baseball fan, you're pissed off.

Well US policy is not sports, that shit shouldn't fly, and it does. In fact, shit is the only thing that flies. NONE of the stations mentioned in this thread remotely resemble news. They are partisan propoganda ONLY. No different than flyers in the street on Broadway telling you to pick one strip club vs. another.

Then go start your own news network. See how far you get.

Taking a side is an economic decision, not an ideological one. There are millions of conservative Republican people and FoxNews went after that market. MSNBC did the same with Liberal Democrats.

So, Mr. Subway Guy, what do YOU consider "news"?

Then go start your own news network. See how far you get.

Taking a side is an economic decision, not an ideological one. There are millions of conservative Republican people and FoxNews went after that market. MSNBC did the same with Liberal Democrats.

So, Mr. Subway Guy, what do YOU consider "news"?

Right now, nothing.

I get my news from the internet and read from sources with both slants (conservative and liberal) and form my own opinions.

But I don't simply want to listen to news that just parrots my own thoughts. If you don't think critically about the other position - not just blatantly reject it - you'll never make progress on any issue.

Pretty much all TV and radio news is biased at this point. News I've seen in other countries tends to be more fair, but even that is starting to move away from balanced.

Right now, nothing.

I get my news from the internet and read from sources with both slants (conservative and liberal) and form my own opinions.

But I don't simply want to listen to news that just parrots my own thoughts. If you don't think critically about the other position - not just blatantly reject it - you'll never make progress on any issue.

Pretty much all TV and radio news is biased at this point. News I've seen in other countries tends to be more fair, but even that is starting to move away from balanced.

I second your comment. Fox, CNN, MSNBC, provide OPINIONS to the news of the day. The problem with Fox, in particular, is that they call themselves FoxNEWS, which implies straight news. My favorites menu on Firefox opens BBC News as my home page. If I want un-opinionated news I read them or watch their TV network. BTW they're cutting Rupert no slack over there. I've listened to them all, Sean, Bill, Rush, Anderson ,Rachel, Keith and I have to say that Rachel is the most intelligent of the group. You don't have to agree with her point of view at all, but she comes across as a serious person while the rest come across as entertainers at times. I also like Ali Velshi's economic shows on CNN. Having grown up with Murrow, Brinkley, Mike Wallace, and the like I think I can separate NEWS from entertainment better than most. Sadly, many Americans can't. End of rant. Carry on.

As usual Sir (Trainmaster)some excellent points on the entire American news media.:tup:

I second your comment. Fox, CNN, MSNBC, provide OPINIONS to the news of the day. The problem with Fox, in particular, is that they call themselves FoxNEWS, which implies straight news. My favorites menu on Firefox opens BBC News as my home page. If I want un-opinionated news I read them or watch their TV network. BTW they're cutting Rupert no slack over there. I've listened to them all, Sean, Bill, Rush, Anderson ,Rachel, Keith and I have to say that Rachel is the most intelligent of the group. You don't have to agree with her point of view at all, but she comes across as a serious person while the rest come across as entertainers at times. I also like Ali Velshi's economic shows on CNN. Having grown up with Murrow, Brinkley, Mike Wallace, and the like I think I can separate NEWS from entertainment better than most. Sadly, many Americans can't. End of rant. Carry on.

Interesting post. I have to agree with that 100%. I catch Rachel EVERY night at 9. She is definitely the most intelligent of the group without a doubt.

I still watch all the rest, including Keith and Bill. I watch a lot more Fox now that I used to. At one point I refused to watch any Fox News programs. But it's actually quite entertaining, and even informative at times. When they tell facts and not blatant lies that is.......

Same old corporate shit:

"No knowledge"

"Again, I don't know"

"We are investigating, but we don't have any specific details"

"We are cooperating, but again, there's a lot that we are still unsure of"

Here's a better quote:

"Eet ees all Boolsh*t! All of eet!" -Arnold Schwarzenegger

Same old corporate shit:

"No knowledge"

"Again, I don't know"

"We are investigating, but we don't have any specific details"

"We are cooperating, but again, there's a lot that we are still unsure of"

Here's a better quote:

"Eet ees all Boolsh*t! All of eet!" -Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Befehl ist Befehl" Orders are orders...

'Pie throwers' should be punched in the face. Those people are low life cowards. If they had real balls, they'd settle it fist to fist.

Yes the phone tapping stuff is serious, but shouldn't they be holding trials for more serious issues like their growing muslim population in Britain?