New York could have a new All-News Station (on WRXP 101.9 FM)

R68 Subway Car

http://mediaconfidential.blogspot.com/2011/07/merlin-media-raids-1010-wins-nyc.html

They are taking many 1010 WINS anchors/reporters over to this news format. This is kinda cool. I am not one who normally listens to FM radio (I listen to SportsRadio 66 WFAN, NewsTalk Radio 77 WABC, WCBS NewsRadio 880, 1010 WINS, and a few other AM Stations) but I find it interesting that 101.9 is going All-News to compete with 1010 WINS and WCBS NewsRadio 880.

http://mediaconfidential.blogspot.com/2011/07/merlin-media-raids-1010-wins-nyc.html

They are taking many 1010 WINS anchors/reporters over to this news format. This is kinda cool. I am not one who normally listens to FM radio (I listen to SportsRadio 66 WFAN, NewsTalk Radio 77 WABC, WCBS NewsRadio 880, 1010 WINS, and a few other AM Stations) but I find it interesting that 101.9 is going All-News to compete with 1010 WINS and WCBS NewsRadio 880.

Actually I thought this station which a few years back was CD101.9 was going to a "Hot talk' format as was rumored in the citywide papers.

With that said, this is a gamble. Still don't understand why not a full time station on any of these lost formats to NYC. 1)Country or at least a hybird with "Southern Rock' mixing in artists like the Eagles, Ray Charles, even later Bruce Springstein 2)Full Time Classic R&B as KISS-FM hardly plays '70's soul music anymore 3)Reggae 4)Smooth Jazz 5)Modern Rock.

Back to topic. What alot of people don't know is that CBS Radio owns both CBS-880am and WINS so in sense this is the first real challenger to the CBS New York empire.

Hope it not a sleazy senationalism newsstation ie. what WPIX-TV has become since Jodi Applegate became lead anchor in recent format change.

Also is NYC/Metro LI and North NJ/Lower Hudson Valley Centric and not (other than huge breaking news)rely on national radio stations like CNN, ABC Radio, or CBS/Westwood One for all of their time on the air.

I could really care less. I'd rather give 1010 WINS 22 Minutes to give me the world- I rely mostly on them to give the nes, and they do a pretty good job at it, better then most of the news stations here. 1010 WINS will ber here to stay, and I'll keep listening to 1010 WINS.

I could really care less. I'd rather give 1010 WINS 22 Minutes to give me the world- I rely mostly on them to give the nes, and they do a pretty good job at it, better then most of the news stations here. 1010 WINS will ber here to stay, and I'll keep listening to 1010 WINS.

1010 does win

There a reason 1010WINS is always at or near the top of the ratings as America's most listened radio station. "Short and sweet' news headlines with an emphais on NYC local news/traffic and weather in actually 20-minute cycles.

And when huge news breaking events, 1010 WINS provides extended

coverage. 1010 WINS traffic though not perfect is among the most accurate in the entire region.

I willing to give this newstation at 101.9 FM a chance. However IMO it will be a challenge to top '2' lengedary all-news staions in CBS 880 and 1010 WINS that has been the model for other all-news stations in US and around the world both on TV and radio.

Plus FM should be a music format and I would like to see a new music format such as country(not a diehard fan but i enjoy it sometimes)or even a old school R&B station focused on the '60's, '70's and early '80's.

I actually will really like this idea, because I listen to 102.7 Light FM for music, and I can just push several buttons down to listen to news if I ever needed to. As of now I have to change to the AM channels and switch to 1010 News which is a hassle.

this sucks! RXP was the only good rock station in the NYC area, WBAB plays the same 40 overplayed rock songs over and over and Q104 isnt much better. How come everywhere else in the country can have a good rock station that plays modern rock and heavy metal but the NYC area is stuck with overplayed classic rock on the radio.

this sucks! RXP was the only good rock station in the NYC area, WBAB plays the same 40 overplayed rock songs over and over and Q104 isnt much better. How come everywhere else in the country can have a good rock station that plays modern rock and heavy metal but the NYC area is stuck with overplayed classic rock on the radio.

Foxie you could have WPDH-FM the local Poughkeepsie area classic rock station. They play Guns and Roses, Led Zepplain and Niravana to death here.B)

Or WRRV-FM the "RXP" of up here that plays alternative and some hard rock. However Foxie you have a point. It a shame now that every NYC is now only modern R&B/HIP Hop or Spanish-themed stations.

As someone who grow up in the 80's/early '90's and you had stations like the oringal Z-100 playing a Guns and Roses song one minute then a Run DMC, Anita Baker and then a Lisa Lisa/Cult Jam single. That was great.

My above comments was not an a diss against both of those formats. I say the same thing when i travel down south to Va. and there 5-6 country music stations. FM radio in America overall now sucks since many cities don't have that much 'variety.'

Foxie you could have WPDH-FM the local Poughkeepsie area classic rock station. They play Guns and Roses, Led Zepplain and Niravana to death here.B)

Or WRRV-FM the "RXP" of up here that plays alternative and some hard rock. However Foxie you have a point. It a shame now that every NYC is now only modern R&B/HIP Hop or Spanish-themed stations.

As someone who grow up in the 80's/early '90's and you had stations like the oringal Z-100 playing a Guns and Roses song one minute then a Run DMC, Anita Baker and then a Lisa Lisa/Cult Jam single. That was great.

My above comments was not an a diss against both of those formats. I say the same thing when i travel down south to Va. and there 5-6 country music stations. FM radio in America overall now sucks since many cities don't have that much 'variety.'

That station doesnt come in on Long Island, I barely get the one or two Connecticut rock stations, theres one in Fairfield county, and another Danbury one. If im in Suffolk County theres another rock station 103.9 which is okay, but that only comes in if im in Suffolk since its headquarters is out east somewhere.

In Virginia beach theres at least one or two really good rock stations. Same with Rhode Island when I Was up there. Theyre much smaller markets than NYC but yet they can run successful rock/metal stations.

When I am in Philly/south jersey there also a good 'rock' stations. One is WYSP and the other is 102.9 MGK which is Philly's version of NYC Q104.3.

MGK is better as they play much more variety than Q104 ever does.

What amazing about NYC is that back in day as late as the early '80's, they had among the best rock stations anywhere in the old WNEW-FM, WPLJ(they switched to top 40 in 1984)and the 'apple' on dial where Q104 now is located. The 'Apple' is best know for discovering a then unknown band from the NJ shore named Bon Jovi in an "American Idol' type contest around 1981.

And of course Foxie you not going to get Hudson Valley stations like WPDH. The closest you can get "PDH'(without being online) is around the White Plains area in a good car signal.

My good friend, I recommend you get Sirius/XM if you are serious about music. It is really hard to get the music you want on regular radio.

My good friend, I recommend you get Sirius/XM if you are serious about music. It is really hard to get the music you want on regular radio.

Andrew its still 'commerical free' in XM/Sirius right? Only reason I never got for my car which i recently sold was that i rarely used for long distance travel.

And long distance travel i usually rent a car in which many of them now have salelite radio.

Andrew its still 'commerical free' in XM/Sirius right? Only reason I never got for my car which i recently sold was that i rarely used for long distance travel.

And long distance travel i usually rent a car in which many of them now have salelite radio.

Yep. All music stations are commercial free.

Such a shame, Q104.3 and 101.9 were the only good stations imo. I'm listening to 101.9 as we speak, sad to see it go.

Hey it could be worse. Unless you in a car, you can't get any NYC FM radio stations at all where i live in Dutchess County. In the Kingston-Poughkeepsie area we got about '10' major FM stations w/ 8 of them owned by two media companies.

The major stations up here are 104.7(WSPK the "Z100" of the area as a top 40 format) WPDH-FM and WBPM (both the major 'classic rock' stations)several country stations, two 'soft rock' stations in 92.1 and 97.7 and "KISS-FM(Not 98.7 from the 'city') but a hybird Dance/Hip-Hop station.

Those stations play the same damn songs over and over again. Thankfully for Youtube and other music sistes you not stuck hearing the same thing.

Or MHV as others suggest if you have a car and can

afford it get "XM/Sirrius.':confused:

Archived