Question about the R40M

VIP

The R40s, as wells the R38s, had the tendency for superceding the MDBF of the rest of the SMEEs. Granted, the R40Ms should have been kept instead of the R42s and now the (J) and (Z) lines are suffering because of that.

But the R42s weren't expected to stay in service after 2010.

The R40M is built out of the same materials from the R42's. The R40M had a carbon steel roof along with the carbon steel strip, and it had fiberglass ends. Therefore if you kept the R40M you will have the same problems the R42's are faring now. It won't have made any difference.

The R40M is built out of the same materials from the R42's. The R40M had a carbon steel roof along with the carbon steel strip, and it had fiberglass ends. Therefore if you kept the R40M you will have the same problems the R42's are faring now. It won't have made any difference.

That is untrue as the R40Ms were better performers than R42s.

I think, performance matters, but since R40M's looked better than R42's because they were taken care of, R40M's wouldn't make (J)/(Z) Riders cringe every time it rolls by. plus the interior is brighter and neater as opposed to the R42's. I think if R40M's were on the (J)/(Z) it wouldn't have the chance to look as bad as the R42's do. Just my thoughts.

R40M's were in the best shape, the R42's are a peice of shit and they need to go, i liked the R42's but now its their time, the R32's are still in good shape, the R40M's would have ran great on the (J), in would have loved it if they would have made a return to the (J).

The 40M's seemed to be in better condition. Yet they were trying so fast to rush them out, perhaps as oddball equipment (since there were more 42's), but now those remaining 42's are oddballs anyway.

they had 90 Mods and 200 R42's that kept breaking down. idk why the (MTA) didn't opt to rid all R42's and keep 60 mods -__-

i know JYD hated the R40m's thats why no one really seened a full R40M set, and when it did appear, it was big news :mad:

Lol...it really amazes me as to how Jamaica Yard went from two fleets in 2008 (R32 and R46) to five fleets (32/40/42/46/160) by the beginning of 2009, and then dwindled down to three at the close of 2009 (32/46/160) and finally two fleets by mid-2010 (46/160).

Lol...it really amazes me as to how Jamaica Yard went from two fleets in 2008 (R32 and R46) to five fleets (32/40/42/46/160) by the beginning of 2009, and then dwindled down to three at the close of 2009 (32/46/160) and finally two fleets by mid-2010 (46/160).

that was interesting all 5 fleets being on the (F). its Ironic now how the Fulton Lines have the R32/R46 duo Just like the queens blvd Lines used to have

honestly they should have ordered more 4-car set 160s to make ENY all 160s instead of the 40 R42s they are stuck with now. but they didn't think at the time they would have needed to have the (M) do Queens Blvd.

That or they should've just extended all the Eastern division platforms to hold 10-car trains and fully incorporate it into the Mainline rather than isolating it. The (L) could've benefitted from 10-car trains.

That or they should've just extended all the Eastern division platforms to hold 10-car trains and fully incorporate it into the Mainline rather than isolating it. The (L) could've benefitted from 10-car trains.
I honestly dont think ridership would warrant that kind of proposal. Plus that would be very costly. 0__0 but i do agree that the (L) would benefit from 10 car trains. but as for the (J)(M)(Z) lines. 8 cars are fine

honestly they should have ordered more 4-car set 160s to make ENY all 160s instead of the 40 R42s they are stuck with now. but they didn't think at the time they would have needed to have the (M) do Queens Blvd.

I have to agree, It would Have been Smarter to do that but the MTA didn't realize back then, but Like i told alot of railfans, those R42's won't last by next year Mark my words, By the The fall or winter you will see them get removed from revenue service, Unless they do something with them, they look like crap and now they are starting to run like crap.

You know, if the R32s and R42s retired when they were supposed to then the (M) wouldn't even be in existence because there wouldn't be enough trains in ENY to support the reroute. The final 32 R160 4-car sets were originally supposed to be 64 but that changed. We will be getting 40 R179 4-car sets though.

I have to agree, It would Have been Smarter to do that but the MTA didn't realize back then, but Like i told alot of railfans, those R42's won't last by next year Mark my words, By the The fall or winter you will see them get removed from revenue service, Unless they do something with them, they look like crap and now they are starting to run like crap.

oh I know they are in bad shape, the last 42 I rode on a few months back, the seats were coming loose and the interior just looked very run down.

Archived