Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Acela Express

MTA to install CCTV cameras on additional buses.

Metropolitan Transportation Authority bus drivers say that given the latest assault on one of their own just three weeks ago, they're breathing a little easier knowing that the MTA is installing surveillance cameras on hundreds more buses.

Source link: http://www.ny1.com/content/news_beats/transit/142879/mta-to-install-surveillance-cameras-on-341-city-buses

Now, though this article was posted last night on New York 1's website, the MTA has been doing this well before the article date. Maybe more, now, because of the incident a few weeks ago.

My issue is, our city's fleet is just under 6,000 buses. MTA opted to install cameras on roughly 5-6% of the fleet, which I don't think is nearly enough to so call "protect" the operators, and to track incidents on buses.

Note: one of our fellow members spotted cameras on an Flatbush NG here.

18k per unit is a crazy! i get easily make something with less hardware for 1/10 of that cost. someone is getting rich of this. finally getting something to help catch the criminal after the fact but dont protect use from getting attack. I rather a barrier then the camera any day of the week and would be way cheaper. Once again the MTA don't think they just do. Like i said someone is getting rich off this.

every single bus on the B41 has a dashboard camera now (at least the ones that i saw) both NGs and RTS's had them..the RTS ones are a bit more concealed but they're there lol

i guess no more flatbush bus pics :P

Oh please, don't be a wuss. lol. I don't take as many pics as I used to [lack of interest], but I still would take pics regardless. Just don't use the flash, that's all.

=

What I wonder is, if they are spending money for these cameras, then what's keeping them from buying more of those plexiglass partitions?

Cameras aren't going to do much at the time of the assault. At least the partition is there to provide some sort of protection.

i actually wonder why do they need dashboard cameras for...interior cameras fine but why the hell do they need a dashboard one for too

Well like those SBS lanes, to take videos of 'wreckless' drivers on the road. Double parked cars, cars cutting off buses, etc. That's the most useful of the cameras imo.

Why isn't the cameras focused at the driver? If something were to happened to the driver on his or her seat, how else would the (MTA) know.

And now i know where the computer is at lol :P At least Orion 7 wise.

I believe that's what the interior cameras are for. One of them is focused on the front area of the bus as opposed to just facing the driver. The cameras are set up in similar locations compared to the ones on the RTSs.

Down here in Fort Worth every bus has cameras on board one looking forward at the road one on the Operator one on the front door and one on the rear door plus a few interior. One Operator got in serious trouble for using her phone while moving because of a complaint and The T used footage against her

16 year driver nearly fired

also the Operators are afraid to let people on without enough money for fear of trouble i think the drivers have a weak union here

Aside from that 5-6% fleet of buses that are already, or slated to have CCTV-cams installed on them, there's about 5,500 buses remaining, which would cost the MTA $99 Million to install the hardware, that is if the $18k value is correct. Eh, I guess this is why they're piloting the program on rough lines instead of retrofitting the entire fleet.

What I wonder is, if they are spending money for these cameras, then what's keeping them from buying more of those plexiglass partitions?

Does anyone know the value on installation of the plexiglass?

Just a shot in the dark 1000 for the glass 1000 for install. should be no more than that then again we are dealing with the MTA. The Union and the MTA have it set up that the driver can not be filmed while operation the bus. Everything else from the farebox on, no taping of the steering wheel or cockpit.This protection from the MTA abusing there cameras against operator, second they can only watch so much of the tape, believe it 5 minutes prior or total of a incident, that can be use against the driver.

Just a shot in the dark 1000 for the glass 1000 for install. should be no more than that then again we are dealing with the MTA. The Union and the MTA have it set up that the driver can not be filmed while operation the bus. Everything else from the farebox on, no taping of the steering wheel or cockpit.This protection from the MTA abusing there cameras against operator, second they can only watch so much of the tape, believe it 5 minutes prior or total of a incident, that can be use against the driver.

Maybe thats why they say we can't photograph the bus with them in it. What the MTA should try and do is set up a deal where they can video tape the cockpit but they can only use the footage if an assault were to take place.

also the Operators are afraid to let people on without enough money for fear of trouble i think the drivers have a weak union here

It's not much the operator can do. Are you guys also being paid for law-enforcement? If not, then turn your head to the left window and waiting for loading to complete, and continue with job description - driving the bus safely from light to light.

It's not much the operator can do. Are you guys also being paid for law-enforcement? If not, then turn your head to the left window and waiting for loading to complete, and continue with job description - driving the bus safely from light to light.

I agree with not confronting passengers about proper fare but, what i meant was the Operators were afraid the Management would frown on them letting people on free

18k per unit is a crazy! someone is getting rich of this. Once again the MTA don't think they just do. Like i said someone is getting rich off this.

Follow the paper trail to the contractor (LLCs)and sub contractors(LLPs), then who has lunch with who and sits on whos board, or is living with and you will find why it costs 18K per unit.

By the way, a camera should be pointed on the B/O while bus is "on." Everyone seems afraid of this but I think it would help clear quite a few operators of "chargeable" offenses.

what i meant was the Operators were afraid the Management would frown on them letting people on free

I understand your assessment on it. However the operators, again, shouldn't be afraid. Unless you verbally pass the notion of a free ride, then you should be cool water. This is why the MTA Bus Operators are instructed to state, "the fare is $2.25". Now if the passenger just decides to get on the bus - without paying- then it's not the operator's problem.

Hem, what happens if a b/o were to 'waive' a person on board if they were to be short on the fare? -basically to keep the line moving and to get to the next stop sooner. Would they be 'in trouble' over that?

Hem, what happens if a b/o were to 'waive' a person on board if they were to be short on the fare? -basically to keep the line moving and to get to the next stop sooner. Would they be 'in trouble' over that?

The way I understand it, yes - they would get it in trouble, that is if there's any on-board superintendents at the time. But I think that falls under the rookie category; seniors seem to know how 'play the game'.

I'd like to hear some of the operators here on their experience with fare-beaters and those coming up short.

NO, they would not. Did it daily about forty to fifty times a day, between M/Cs that say "read error," short fares, no fares, etc.

Policy is remind of fare, if they kept going, I didn't care. Passenger wants to argue it about defective F/B or M/C? Clean the ear wax out and pay attention: "GO SIT DOWN!" Would say it numerous times daily and still the passenger wouldn't get it till someone else told "he said go sit down!"

The way I understand it, yes - they would get it in trouble, that is if there's any on-board superintendents at the time.

If a :(~stupid~intendent :phas a problem with a B/O following MTA policy of not arguing with a passenger or causing an incident over fare payment, it proves the point stated by many: the rules are a catch 22, you damned either way. So when in doubt, let 'em ride always.

"~stupid~intendent" good one Hawk.

I remember a B/O telling me this once.

He said to me..."it's important to remember that most managers within the TA are shuffled approximately every three years, so while it's true you may be stuck with an SLD you clash with (it happens to everyone), you're never stuck with the same management team for very long.

I always made it a point, as I cheerfully left one manager's office or another, to remind them that regardless of what they did, said or wrote, I'd been here longer then they, and will be here long after they'd been shipped elsewhere :-)"