MTA makes underhanded cuts to Subway service

No, you and John Liu are just being whiners.

The MTA has a lot of problems. However, those problems stem largely from decisions made by politicians and the public, not by the MTA itself. Politicians have decided to cut funding for the MTA every year and proceed to dip into the designated MTA fund whenever they want, forcing the agency to increase fares. Additionally, they create unfunded mandates like the free rides for schoolchildren (admirable, but the state and city should be paying for it, not the MTA). And the riders and politicians demand that the trains run at all hours, yet the MTA has to update their signals and repair their tracks and tunnels some time.

You don't get a free lunch. Politicians and riders have to accept higher fares or greater government contribution. They also have to accept that maintenance has to happen at some time--either the system has to shut down late at night, or services have to be altered at night or on the weekends to allow for maintenance.

You want to fix the MTA? Stop voting for the idiots who whine about inadequate service from one side of their mouths and then cut funding from the other side.

Oh, that's right... This is the same (MTA) that can't even confirm if the signals are actually being checked and inspected truthfully and the same agency that can't seem to keep one project under budget. Maybe politicians would be willing to give the (MTA) more money if they knew how to manage a budget without slashing service. The word efficiency doesn't seem to be a word that the (MTA) knows, ever.

Oh, that's right... This is the same (MTA) that can't even confirm if the signals are actually being checked and inspected truthfully and the same agency that can't seem to keep one project under budget. Maybe politicians would be willing to give the (MTA) more money if they knew how to manage a budget without slashing service. The word efficiency doesn't seem to be a word that the knows, ever.

True. Add to this that the MTA defended its decision to use yet another no-bid contract with City Time after NYC had already been ripped-off. Fortunately, the City Time crooks absconded with our tax dollars before the MTA could make its own "contribution." We need more politicians like Comptroller John Liu.

Oh, that's right... This is the same (MTA) that can't even confirm if the signals are actually being checked and inspected truthfully and the same agency that can't seem to keep one project under budget. Maybe politicians would be willing to give the (MTA) more money if they knew how to manage a budget without slashing service. The word efficiency doesn't seem to be a word that the (MTA) knows, ever.

…because they're being expected to balance a budget in an area that will never make a profit solely on its own. All forms of passenger transport run on a deficit including roads, but I don't see Albany or the Feds trying to reduce road spending. If the Interstate Highway System were expected to run a surplus, it would be riddled with tolls, rarely, if ever, expanded, and suffer from neglect. That is not to say that the MTA should be given bucketloads of money; it should be strongly regulated to ensure maximum efficiency, but it should not be expected to recoup its losses because that is in many ways an unattainable goal. The only reason as to why the MTA made a surplus in 2005 was due to profits off its real estate holdings, the same way that Hong Kong's MTR runs on a profit, its corporate and real estate investment portfolio.

…because they're being expected to balance a budget in an area that will never make a profit solely on its own. All forms of passenger transport run on a deficit including roads, but I don't see Albany or the Feds trying to reduce road spending. If the Interstate Highway System were expected to run a surplus, it would be riddled with tolls, rarely, if ever, expanded, and suffer from neglect. That is not to say that the MTA should be given bucketloads of money; it should be strongly regulated to ensure maximum efficiency, but it should not be expected to recoup its losses because that is in many ways an unattainable goal. The only reason as to why the MTA made a surplus in 2005 was due to profits off its real estate holdings, the same way that Hong Kong's MTR runs on a profit, its corporate and real estate investment portfolio.

Well of course. That's no secret. Most folks are well aware that the (MTA) depends on other sources of revenue to stay afloat. With that said, an agency that is supposedly "desperate" for cash would be much more aggressive in trying to get tenants to fill the many vacant properties that it currently has or rid itself of expensive ones. Instead they've just sat on those properties not looking to really find any viable tenants, all the while crying broke. While I applaud Walder's effort to downsize, there is still plenty more that could be done WITHOUT cutting service from riders.

Believe me. I am far from one of those folks that cry Oh the (MTA) gets so much money from fares that they shouldn't have any financial problems because farebox recovery on accounts for part of the monies that they bring in and they could not survive on that alone. Aside from that with there being rampid farebeating in the system, they're losing millions from that anyway, yet another money source that they aren't aggressively tapping, although I am now hearing that enforce is being stepped up on some of the SBS lines, but that's just a drop in the bucket for all of the other farebeaters that beat the system each and every day. I'm telling you. They are lucky I wasn't running things there. I would be a force to reckoned with. That agency would be turned upside down and gutted from the inside out.

To those who are raising a fuss (or at least pretending to) about the summer light-riding schedules, I must ask... Where have you been for the past few DECADES?

What is supposedly "underhanded" about ANNUAL summer light-riding schedules? It's done EVERY YEAR (hence the word "annual") to reflect the fact that some trains and buses carry fewer riders during summer months than they do the rest of the year.

Are the trains "empty"? Clearly not. Are some trains a little less crowded? Yes, some are, because the students aren't there and some of the adults are on vacation.

To those who are raising a fuss (or at least pretending to) about the summer light-riding schedules, I must ask... Where have you been for the past few DECADES?

What is supposedly "underhanded" about ANNUAL summer light-riding schedules? It's done EVERY YEAR (hence the word "annual") to reflect the fact that some trains and buses carry fewer riders during summer months than they do the rest of the year.

Are the trains "empty"? Clearly not. Are some trains a little less crowded? Yes, some are, because the students aren't there and some of the adults are on vacation.

That's not the point. The point is that the service was reduced and nothing was said about service reductions and they only said something because they were confronted about it. What are you? A spokesman for the (MTA) or something?? :mad:

That's not the point. The point is that the service was reduced and nothing was said about service reductions and they only said something because they were confronted about it.

(1) Again, it's done EVERY YEAR. Anybody who cries foul now has already known about such things in years past and deliberately said nothing.

(2) They DID say something about it. Just look in the Board materials and you'll find it. As we all know, routine adjustments have never required hearings.

What are you? A spokesman for the (MTA) or something??

No, I'm just a citizen who keeps up with such things. Anybody else who wants to can find all the legally required disclosures.

(1) Again, it's done EVERY YEAR. Anybody who cries foul now has already known about such things in years past and deliberately said nothing.

(2) They DID say something about it. Just look in the Board materials and you'll find it. As we all know, routine adjustments have never required hearings.

No, I'm just a citizen who keeps up with such things. Anybody else who wants to can find all the legally required disclosures.

And you think they announce all of the "reductions" in service that they make??? If you think that then I've got a bridge to sell you. In other words, I am certain that there are other unannounced reductions that are being done as well and they're not in any Board materials either.

And you think they announce all of the "reductions" in service that they make??? If you think that then I've got a bridge to sell you. In other words, I am certain that there are other unannounced reductions that are being done as well and they're not in any Board materials either.

Being fair, the (MTA) does make reductions with public announcements with their extra school bus trips weekdays during the school year.

It's in the 'fine print' but it is there.

Being fair, the (MTA) does make reductions with public announcements with their extra school bus trips weekdays during the school year.

It's in the 'fine print' but it is there.

I don't dispute that. I'm just saying that they do make underhanded cuts that they don't put even in the fine print.

Then make me un-clueless.

Well since somebody living in Philly whos 21 years old, knows sooo much about how the TWU got the MTA in thier financial problems right?

You show me what gets you to your conclusions and we take it from there...

I got to go to work soon so you got time to jot down some things and lets see where it goes.

Well since somebody living in Philly whos 21 years old, knows sooo much about how the TWU got the MTA in thier financial problems right?

I got to go to work soon so you got time to jot down some things and lets see where it goes.

Nice to see that you haven't gone off of the rails.... Yet...

I've only been living in Philly for a year. The previous 10 were in NY. When I see workers slacking off, then demanding more pay for less work (not to mention pensions), and then striking, effectively shutting New York down, I get a slight distaste for the TWU.

I've only been living in Philly for a year. The previous 10 were in NY. When I see workers slacking off, then demanding more pay for less work (not to mention pensions), and then striking, effectively shutting New York down, I get a slight distaste for the TWU.

Ah the "Oh we struck in 2005" remark love it!!!!

Awesome thats a start, now anything else besides you seeing SOME of my lazy brothers and sisters not doing thier Jobs?

Whos slacking off are they car cleaners?

Track Workers?

Signal Maintainers?

Train operatores? Conductors? Bus Operators?

You need to do better than that, i lived in NYC for most of my life im double your age...

Show me Numbers, stats anything other than your biased views..

Oh BTW i started down here in 2001 from the Open Competitve List. Been working since i was 13 years Old so lets not go the "You dont know what hard work is either " Um Kay?

Impress me now show me something so we can have a good talk about this..

Ill check tonight when i get home..

Ah the "Oh we struck in 2005" remark love it!!!!

Awesome thats a start, now anything else besides you seeing SOME of my lazy brothers and sisters not doing thier Jobs?

Whos slacking off are they car cleaners?

Track Workers?

Signal Maintainers?

Train operatores? Conductors? Bus Operators?

You need to do better than that, i lived in NYC for most of my life im double your age...

Show me Numbers, stats anything other than your biased views..

Oh BTW i started down here in 2001 from the Open Competitve List. Been working since i was 13 years Old so lets not go the "You dont know what hard work is either " Um Kay?

Impress me now show me something so we can have a good talk about this..

Ill check tonight when i get home..

He does have a point... You can't deny that all of the falsifications of signals being checked has to make one think that at least somebody was slacking off. I mean I still want to know what the (MTA) did to resolve that problem? They claimed that it was a problem and that they hadn't figured out yet how to resolve it, but that backups were in place. Now of course they've gone hush about it, but I for one sure as hell haven't forgotten. That is a serious safety issue right there and probably another reason why I don't use the subway as much these days, though I have been using it for short distances here and there like today.

Nah, I'm not gonna bother. If you really wanna go there, start a new thread or something.

Actually I think he's got a point too. This thread is about underhanded subway cuts, but also why they're being made and perhaps part of it is the (MTA) trying to get at the unions.

Archived