[Bklyn] Avenue J's Congested Corridor

Acela Express

I'm curious to know if MTA has ever looked into implementing bus-only lanes on Avenue J's corridor between Coney Island Avenue and Ocean Avenue. And when I mean 'look into it', I mean consulting with DOT to alleviate congestion in that area, or at least during rush hours.

I'm in area fair amount of time and the heavy traffic between MTA's buses trying to pass through, then assh*ole double-parking, and truck deliveries for local businesses, I think it's bout time to revisit the issue.

I understand they have metered parking, but my idea would be to suspend parking during the day, say a time frame between 7am and 9pm, perhaps. This would give priority traffic to buses and even flow of traffic, in my opinion. The B6 runs like clockwork, and this avoid delay in service overall.

What are some ideas that come to mind?

Link to congested corridor via Google Maps: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=coney+island+avenue+and+avenue+j+to+avenue+j+and+ocean+avenue&saddr=coney+island+avenue+and+avenue+j&daddr=avenue+j+and+ocean+avenue&hl=en&sll=40.654011,-73.95524&sspn=0.028456,0.077162&geocode=FXLiawIdSGGX-yn92KqzyETCiTEQs7ko3t7B2Q%3BFULmawId14OX-ylZIUz4tkTCiTGxitQwSesMiw&t=h&z=17

I know what you're talkin about, over there w/ the B6 & the 11.... it is bad over there....

Hate to downplay it in sayin this, but I don't think they'd go through with it... too short a corridor, and it isn't any worse than any other stretch of road that undergoes the same unfortunate crap for a short period of time....

that would be like me over here suggesting bus only lanes for the B35 b/w utica & nostrand av's.... even though I know how bad church av is in that regard, I can't see myself advocating banning parking and adding bus lanes over here....

I agree, this would be nice. Sucks when you're moving along nicely on the B6 (New Lots/Rock Park bound) and you get stuck in traffic on Ave J. The B8 has the same issue on 18th Ave in the afternoon. But on saturday nights though, Ave J is a ghost town and its smooth sailing all the way though, and don't mean really late either, like 6-7 PM...

I really should've kept the buses out of this as I think this is more than just MTA and their buses on the corridor. But, guy, the avenue is so bad with the flow of traffic, it's clearly impossible to operate any type of vehicle through there, most of the time.

Though I understand the stretch is rather short, it's still an issue that shouldn't be overlooked by DOT. The idea is to alleviate congestion by any means necessary.

DOT has been doing this in Manhattan, with streamlining avenues with one-way directions rather to keep things at an even paced (e.g., northbound 8th Avenue; southbound 7th Avenue). But sometimes, that's not even enough.

But on saturday nights though, Ave J is a ghost town and its smooth sailing all the way though, and don't mean really late either, like 6-7 PM...

Because of jewish holidays, as they are the primary residents. I believe Friday night thru Saturday evening when the sun settles, is when things are OK and bearable.

I really should've kept the buses out of this as I think this is more than just MTA and their buses on the corridor. But, guy, the avenue is so bad with the flow of traffic, it's clearly impossible to operate any type of vehicle through there, most of the time.

Though I understand the stretch is rather short, it's still an issue that shouldn't be overlooked by DOT. The idea is to alleviate congestion by any means necessary.

DOT has been doing this in Manhattan, with streamlining avenues with one-way directions rather to keep things at an even paced (e.g., northbound 8th Avenue; southbound 7th Avenue). But sometimes, that's not even enough.

Look, "guy".... I'm not knockin the idea...

I'm sayin Av. J b/w that stretch isn't any, or that much worse than the bunch of other corridors that experience the same thing in this city.... bad enough they got bike lanes all over the place... banning parking & adding bus lanes would only shift the vehicles elsewhere, and Midwood folks aint havin that...

Not endorsing it but what about making Avenue J (1-way eastbound)between CI and Ocean Ave?

And Avenue I 1-way westbound? They turned 13th Avenue into a 1-way street (southbound)about 25 years ago? Just a thought.

Not counting the lanes for parking, I've always felt that if a road has just two lanes [one in each direction], then it should be a one way road, so that at least cars can pass if there's a double parked vehicle. The only problem is there are some roads that starts and stops in some areas due to being divided by another road or a RR row.

The aforementioned double parking by the area residents is the main problem, something that should be dealt with by better traffic enforcement. The construction on the Brighton Line at Avenue J doesn't help one bit either.

As for a bus lane, I can see those people having a bitch feast. It sounds good on paper, but it wont work.

I'm curious to know if MTA has ever looked into implementing bus-only lanes on Avenue J's corridor between Coney Island Avenue and Ocean Avenue. And when I mean 'look into it', I mean consulting with DOT to alleviate congestion in that area, or at least during rush hours.

I'm in area fair amount of time and the heavy traffic between MTA's buses trying to pass through, then assh*ole double-parking, and truck deliveries for local businesses, I think it's bout time to revisit the issue.

I understand they have metered parking, but my idea would be to suspend parking during the day, say a time frame between 7am and 9pm, perhaps. This would give priority traffic to buses and even flow of traffic, in my opinion. The B6 runs like clockwork, and this avoid delay in service overall.

What are some ideas that come to mind?

Link to congested corridor via Google Maps: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=coney+island+avenue+and+avenue+j+to+avenue+j+and+ocean+avenue&saddr=coney+island+avenue+and+avenue+j&daddr=avenue+j+and+ocean+avenue&hl=en&sll=40.654011,-73.95524&sspn=0.028456,0.077162&geocode=FXLiawIdSGGX-yn92KqzyETCiTEQs7ko3t7B2Q%3BFULmawId14OX-ylZIUz4tkTCiTGxitQwSesMiw&t=h&z=17

You would put every retail store out of business as they couldn't get deliveries, but then they wouldn't need them as they'd have no customers either.

Then the city could put in bike lanes!

It is very bad there. The problem is the double parking because there is little enforcement as is the problem on most commercial streets. On Brighton Beach Avenue you have double parked trucks unloading for hours at time. Banning parking would help perhaps at least during rush hours, but the merchants and politicians would start screaming so loud if you tried that, you wouldn't be able to hear a bus screeching to a stop.

You would put every retail store out of business as they couldn't get deliveries, but then they wouldn't need them as they'd have no customers either.

I'd agree, to certain extent. Deliveries can be shifted to overnights. I speak on this because I was transferred to a store on Avenue J for a few months (bout two years ago), and because of the heavy congestion, we requested to receive our truck deliveries at 3am. Everyone goes home happy. Hopefully.

No customers, is a bit over the top.

Much of the retail income is from foot traffic, especially from the train station.

I'd agree, to certain extent. Deliveries can be shifted to overnights. I speak on this because I was transferred to a store on Avenue J for a few months (bout two years ago), and because of the heavy congestion, we requested to receive our truck deliveries at 3am. Everyone goes home happy. Hopefully.

Much of the retail income is from foot traffic, especially from the train station.

And who is supposed to take the deliveries overnights?

Aren't most of these these mom and pop stores?

Truck drivers would have to "be up all night" for one delivery.

Wouldn't that increase costs?

UPS, Federal Express and others do not deliver overnight?

Receiving a delivery overnight for a chain operation like Dunkin' Donuts may be OK but what about a mom and pop operation that is not open 24/7?

Receiving a delivery overnight for a chain operation like Dunkin' Donuts may be OK but what about a mom and pop operation that is not open 24/7?

Another huge problem is that a lot of these places observe shabbos and other weekly religious observances that precludes them from working overnight.

Archived