MNR/CDOT Fares to Increase this Fall

mark1447

Just to clarify, this is only supposed to effect Connecticut fares, not New York fares. New York's station fares were raised at least twice (June 2009 and Dec 2010) since Connecticut raised their station fares.

Is the fare hike NH line only? or Harlem and Hudson also

Is the fare hike NH line only? or Harlem and Hudson also

As I posted previously this is for Connecticut fares only as CT fares are regulated by the CDOT. The NY fares are regulated by the MTA.

Because New Haven Line is the only line that has CT stations on it, the fare hikes would only effect the NH Line. All of the Harlem and Hudson Line stations are in NY.

In my opinion the CT fare hikes are overdue to keep up with the rest of the system. Currently you can get a Greenwich monthly commutation with metro card for cheaper than you could for Port Chester through the Mail and Ride program.

instead of Fare hiking , they should be lowering the fares like many Transit agency's have done outside North America....it hurts the regional economy when you raise the fares.....

I'm not totally disagreeing with you but the problem is if you cut fares then you have to cut services to make up for the loss of revenue. When you cut services then the passengers cry. When you raise fares the passengers cry. You can't have it both ways.

I am surprised the CDOT/MNR waited this long to do this. It will be nearly a year after the (MTA) in metro NYC spiked their prices, when the CT fares go up in Fall.

Per the news clip these fares have not been raised since 2005. The last two fare hikes for the rest of the system were December 2010 and June 2009.

I'm not totally disagreeing with you but the problem is if you cut fares then you have to cut services to make up for the loss of revenue. When you cut services then the passengers cry. When you raise fares the passengers cry. You can't have it both ways.

Well , why can they do it overseas ? Infact some systems with the same amount of ridership are profitable overseas and cheaper.... Why not here?

According to the board meeting video:

-CT fares are 12% less than NYS fares.

-New Haven Line is the most efficient MNR line; with an 80-90% farebox ratio.

-Branches (and presumably SLE) have VERY LOW farebox ratios. All subsidies paid by CT.

Well , why can they do it overseas ? Infact some systems with the same amount of ridership are profitable overseas and cheaper.... Why not here?

Could this be why?

Just kidding. Seriously, I don't have a clue.

This to me is actually a bit overdue; Connecticut Commuter Rail fares had not gone up since January 2005.

My idea about fares is this:

-Mainline fare increase 8-10%

-Branchline fares increase 25%. 2.00 Waterbury-Bridgeport is one of the best rail deals in the area. And why does it cost more to go to NHV than Waterbury?

-SLE fares split into peak/off-peak. Peak fares are 15% higher than current fares, which will remain as off-peak fares. Charge peak fares on weekend local trains.

My idea about fares is this:

-Branchline fares increase 25%. 2.00 Waterbury-Bridgeport is one of the best rail deals in the area. And why does it cost more to go to NHV than Waterbury?

I'll give you one better. On the mainline Stamford to Rowayton is $9.25. If you had to transfer to the New Canaan branch it is also $9.25. Mean while to transfer on either the Danbury or Waterbury branch there is a fare increase from the mainline transfer point (S. Norwalk or Bridgeport).

I'll give you one better. On the mainline Stamford to Rowayton is $9.25. If you had to transfer to the New Canaan branch it is also $9.25. Mean while to transfer on either the Danbury or Waterbury branch there is a fare increase from the mainline transfer point (S. Norwalk or Bridgeport).

$2.25.

Could this be why?

Just kidding. Seriously, I don't have a clue.

Actually i read they tax developments around the stations , this is common practice in Japan , Hong Kong and Korea....hench why there systems operate in the green. Metro North could do the same along the future Penn station connections @ Hunts Points , Co-Op city ,Parkchester , West 62nd Street , and 125th Street. I know Large Scale Developments are lining up waiting for these extension projects , mostly at Hunts Point , West 62nd Street & Parkchester. Metro North could take advantage of that , most of these projects are worth billions....

$2.25.

A $2.25 ticket is an Stamford - New Canaan intermediate ticket only. I've should have been clearer. If you went from GCT to Stamford off peak it's $9.25. If you went from GCT to New Canaan off peak, it's also $9.25.

Meanwhile, A GCT to So Norwalk is $9.75 but GCT to Merrit 7 is $10.00 (Danbury $10.75). GCT to Bridgeport is $11.75 and GCT to Waterbury is $12.50.

Actually i read they tax developments around the stations , this is common practice in Japan , Hong Kong and Korea....hench why there systems operate in the green. Metro North could do the same along the future Penn station connections @ Hunts Points , Co-Op city ,Parkchester , West 62nd Street , and 125th Street. I know Large Scale Developments are lining up waiting for these extension projects , mostly at Hunts Point , West 62nd Street & Parkchester. Metro North could take advantage of that , most of these projects are worth billions....

MTA already taxes the bejesus out of people in the surrounding areas.

In 2009, because I live in one of the counties Metro North operates in (Dutchess) my drivers license renewal fee increased, my vehicle registration fees increased and almost every business in my area has to pay .34 per $100 tax on pay roll, including schools. Because of this my school taxes when up so they could pay their share to the MTA.

Why should someone that doesn't ride the trains have to pay for someone that does?

Archived