Customer gets pwned at local Chase bank.

Acela Express

I had a Bank of America checking account and I was reluctant to start using credit cards. The thought simply didn't appeal to me... But yeah, they'll leave you alone for the most part if you maintain a certain balance or have an active direct deposit going on depending on what type of account you own.

Depositing checks, however is a another story- they'll put holds on them after you deposit them and it usually takes a few days for them to clear. While I do see what they're getting at it really shouldn't take a few days for one check to clear...

My dad's also a part of the Municipal Credit Union, seems like an excellent place.

Chase can go f*ck themselves. Why the hell does it cost 2 damn dollars to make a BALANCE INQUIRY? And why do I have to pay EXTRA FEES on top of a non-Chase ATM's fees to make a simple withdrawal. That $20 withdrawal goes up to near 25 dollars. I'm thinking of switching to Capital One as a bank.

I hear you, fam...

Stupid isht like that is why I can't knock anyone for not havin a bank account (I know a few acquaintances that say they don't).... It took me about a year or so after I first started working to eventually open one up...

The tellers look good as hell, but they're as dumb as bricks, a lot of em.... What's that one chick that got fired for lookin too sexy at the workplace, or somethin to that effect? I believe it was at a bank too....

l0l aint nothing more funny then a dumb pretty chick. They all have the combined IQ of a raisin. And it seems like every bank you go in you see less and less older wise people

Chase can go f*ck themselves. Why the hell does it cost 2 damn dollars to make a BALANCE INQUIRY? And why do I have to pay EXTRA FEES on top of a non-Chase ATM's fees to make a simple withdrawal. That $20 withdrawal goes up to near 25 dollars. I'm thinking of switching to Capital One as a bank.

Sounds like we're talking about two different banks... lol You can make a balance inquiry for free over the phone or via text message. As for your other issue, I believe most banks do that. They've got to make money somehow. Capital One would do the same thing.

But why do I have to call when there's an ATM in front of me?

I understand your point and I have wondered the same thing, but as I said before banks have to make money somehow and I'm sure you have free checking with them, so there is a way around it and I'm willing to bet Capital One has certain fees that you won't like either. Most of these sorts of charges banks have in general, so one way or another you're going to pay for them OR you'll be smart and find a way around them as I do. I can assure you that I don't pay any fees to bank with Chase with any of my accounts.

But yeah, I agree... Having good credit can save you a sh*t load of money and I also agree that you should shop around to get the best deals. Amex is tough at first too, but once you have a good record with them they'll treat you good. They've been offering me a Platinum Card with no pre-set spending limit, but quite frankly I don't have a need for it, plus it's something like $450 a year to keep the card which I am not in mood for paying out. I can do other things with that money. With the Gold card I can basically use my points to pay off the $175.00 yearly fee, so it's like an interest free card that I get to use since I have to pay it off in full each month, not to mention the protection that the card gives when making purchases.

All I have to do is call up and say that I had a problem with X purchase and they don't hassle me about getting my money back, so long as I have the receipt.

WHOA WHOA WHOA you have "good credit" and you PAY to have a credit card every year?

Let me set the record straight. When you charge things on a card, the issuer of the card collects a fee from the merchant. You purchasing ANYTHING allows the cc issuer to make money.

Why should you pay ANYTHING, unless you don't pay your bill every month (and then you pay interest)????

If you have good credit under absolutely no circumstances should you pay any "annual fee" to a credit card. If you are doing so, you are getting f*cking raped for no reason. Cancel the fee based card and get a free one. They're out there. Odds are your bank probably offers one, but make sure there are no fees.

Getting a customer who uses their credit card and pays their bill every month is a privilege for the CARD ISSUER, not the customer. The good customer should not have to pay for the card issuer's privilege of making money off them.

* I am not being harsh on you - this is something I have absolutely always been adamant about and if more consumers stood up for their rights and good credit holders demanded an end to fee based cards, it might get somewhere...in the meantime shop around and find a card that carries no annual fee. AMEX is screwing you with that fee...it exceeds whatever rewards you could hope to get, and it's for no good reason. Yes, it may hurt your credit temporarily but apply for a free card, then CANCEL that amex card immediately after. It will hurt your credit rating slightly in the short term but who cares...after 7 years the voluntary credit "reduction" will basically be off your credit record, and you'll be pocketing that bullsh*t "fee" every year instead of giving it to some crooked corporation.

I understand your point and I have wondered the same thing, but as I said before banks have to make money somehow and I'm sure you have free checking with them, so there is a way around it and I'm willing to bet Capital One has certain fees that you won't like either. Most of these sorts of charges banks have in general, so one way or another you're going to pay for them OR you'll be smart and find a way around them as I do. I can assure you that I don't pay any fees to bank with Chase with any of my accounts.

Banks are supposed to make their money off responsible loans to businesses both large and small, as well as individuals, who demonstrate good credit, and the ability to pay the loan back over time, in full and with interest.

NOT off fees.

NOT off speculative investment.

NOT off d1cking their customers around.

NOT at the ATM machine.

NOT at other banks' ATM machines by charging a supplemental fee (side note: ALL banks will charge non customers to use their ATM's...that's fair b/c they are doing something for you when you're not a customer...HOWEVER only d1ckbag banks will charge YOU a fee when you use someone else's ATM - example: Chase customer uses a BOA ATM. It's reasonable for BOA to charge a fee, unreasonable for Chase to also charge a fee).

Plus banks are NOT supposed to waste their profits paying their executives huge salaries, and passing the costs of those useless pyramid squatters on to the customer in the forms of reduced benefits and increased fees.

Forgive me if I sound naiive here, but: why does it seem they make it so much of a hassle to get a debit card [which is prepaid money- supposedly like the Metrocard] and have everyone use a credit card [besides the part where the companies would cash in on late payments and interests]?

you just answered your own question

Forgive me if I sound naiive here, but: why does it seem they make it so much of a hassle to get a debit card [which is prepaid money- supposedly like the Metrocard] and have everyone use a credit card [besides the part where the companies would cash in on late payments and interests]?

Debit card = direct access to funds

Credit card = well you can easily screw yourself over if you're not careful

As was said, you answered your own question, bro....

Credit Card companies want your (and everyone else's) money, simple as that.... and there are a bunch of ways they make money off you, the user..... ppl. are resorting to using/signing up for debit cards nowadays anyway....

The source of where the monies comes from, is the biggest difference b/w the two... many young adults view CC's as "free money".... this is what CC companies WANT you to think....

...this is why as soon as you register to vote, and/or reach your junior & senior years in high school, you get those offers by the mail to sign up for some CC - and they're usually w/ high interest rates too...

There's a much greater risk to you, the user, with a debit card... it's YOUR money directly involved...

WHOA WHOA WHOA you have "good credit" and you PAY to have a credit card every year?

Let me set the record straight. When you charge things on a card, the issuer of the card collects a fee from the merchant. You purchasing ANYTHING allows the cc issuer to make money.

Why should you pay ANYTHING, unless you don't pay your bill every month (and then you pay interest)????

If you have good credit under absolutely no circumstances should you pay any "annual fee" to a credit card. If you are doing so, you are getting f*cking raped for no reason. Cancel the fee based card and get a free one. They're out there. Odds are your bank probably offers one, but make sure there are no fees.

Getting a customer who uses their credit card and pays their bill every month is a privilege for the CARD ISSUER, not the customer. The good customer should not have to pay for the card issuer's privilege of making money off them.

* I am not being harsh on you - this is something I have absolutely always been adamant about and if more consumers stood up for their rights and good credit holders demanded an end to fee based cards, it might get somewhere...in the meantime shop around and find a card that carries no annual fee. AMEX is screwing you with that fee...it exceeds whatever rewards you could hope to get, and it's for no good reason. Yes, it may hurt your credit temporarily but apply for a free card, then CANCEL that amex card immediately after. It will hurt your credit rating slightly in the short term but who cares...after 7 years the voluntary credit "reduction" will basically be off your credit record, and you'll be pocketing that bullsh*t "fee" every year instead of giving it to some crooked corporation.

It isn't a credit card, but rather a charge card, which is completely different from a credit card. Charge cards are usually only given to those with good to excellent credit. As I stated before there is an annual fee for the card, but with all of the points that I get throughout the year I simply use some of them and that covers that charge. Other than that I pay no interest or anything for the card since I pay my bill in full each month (though those of us with good credit are allowed to carry over balances if we so choose), so I have no problem with the card at all. There are plenty of situations where I get money back for things that I buy with the card, so quite frankly I don't have an issue with it and yes I do have good credit and use it to my advantage. When I purchase my own place I will qualify for a very low interest rate and that's in addition to the fact that interest rates are already historically low. :cool:

I also don't have an issue with credit card companies making money off of consumers, so long as it isn't me ;). It is the consumers' responsibility to see that they are not being jerked around, not the credit card companies and if folks are stupid enough to not pay attention well then that's thei problem.

If you use your credit cards wisely, they can certainly have their benefits.

Credit Card companies want your (and everyone else's) money, simple as that.... and there are a bunch of ways they make money off you, the user..... ppl. are resorting to using/signing up for debit cards nowadays anyway....

The source of where the monies comes from, is the biggest difference b/w the two... many young adults view CC's as "free money".... this is what CC companies WANT you to think....

...this is why as soon as you register to vote, and/or reach your junior & senior years in high school, you get those offers by the mail to sign up for some CC - and they're usually w/ high interest rates too...

There's a much greater risk to you, the user, with a debit card... it's YOUR money directly involved...

Good point. And that comes in handy in cases of identity theft. With a credit card, it's the company's money on the line (if you didn't buy the items, there is a greater chance that you don't have the money to pay for the items). When you report it lost or stolen, they'll most likely try harder to solve the case (your liability is generally small), and can negotiate with the places that charged your card.

A debit card on the other hand links directly to your bank account, so you're the one who's losing the money. Once the money's taken from your account, it is a lot harder to get it back.

It isn't a credit card, but rather a charge card, which is completely different from a credit card. Charge cards are usually only given to those with good to excellent credit. As I stated before there is an annual fee for the card, but with all of the points that I get throughout the year I simply use some of them and that covers that charge. Other than that I pay no interest or anything for the card since I pay my bill in full each month (though those of us with good credit are allowed to carry over balances if we so choose), so I have no problem with the card at all. There are plenty of situations where I get money back for things that I buy with the card, so quite frankly I don't have an issue with it and yes I do have good credit and use it to my advantage. When I purchase my own place I will qualify for a very low interest rate and that's in addition to the fact that interest rates are already historically low. :cool:

I also don't have an issue with credit card companies making money off of consumers, so long as it isn't me :P. It is the consumers' responsibility to see that they are not being jerked around, not the credit card companies and if folks are stupid enough to not pay attention well then that's thei problem.

If you use your credit cards wisely, they can certainly have their benefits.

You're missing the point d00d. There are free credit cards that give you cash back rewards. The rewards should not be applied to some bullsh*t "fee".

Net net, you make it sound like your rewards are 0.

I get cash back on all my purchases and I get to delay payment by approx. 30 days, during which my money sits in bank accounts or investments and earns me a return. I pay no fees whatsoever, and I get 1% cash back on all my purchases (used to be higher) so everything costs me 99 cents on the dollar. I've never paid a fee to a credit card company, ever. So I pocket that money.

That's what every consumer with good credit should expect and demand...including you.

You're missing the point d00d. There are free credit cards that give you cash back rewards. The rewards should not be applied to some bullsh*t "fee".

Net net, you make it sound like your rewards are 0.

I get cash back on all my purchases and I get to delay payment by approx. 30 days, during which my money sits in bank accounts or investments and earns me a return. I pay no fees whatsoever, and I get 1% cash back on all my purchases (used to be higher) so everything costs me 99 cents on the dollar. I've never paid a fee to a credit card company, ever. So I pocket that money.

That's what every consumer with good credit should expect and demand...including you.

This is NOT a credit card though. This is a charge card. Two different things. Charge cards generally have an annual fee that you usually cannot get out of no matter how good your credit is. That's just the way it is. If you can find a charge card NOT a credit card without an annual fee then let me know.

Debit card = direct access to funds

Credit card = well you can easily screw yourself over if you're not careful

Thanks and yup, I make sure to spend w/in my means. I don't want to pay for the interest.

True about the DC risk.

This is NOT a credit card though. This is a charge card. Two different things. Charge cards generally have an annual fee that you usually cannot get out of no matter how good your credit is. That's just the way it is. If you can find a charge card NOT a credit card without an annual fee then let me know.

So then get a credit card. You'll still be protected against identity theft and unauthorized charges on your card. You just won't have to pay the fee.

Why the hell are you throwing your money (and it is your money when you earn it as rewards) away on fees???

So then get a credit card. You'll still be protected against identity theft and unauthorized charges on your card. You just won't have to pay the fee.

Why the hell are you throwing your money (and it is your money when you earn it as rewards) away on fees???

LOL... You still didn't answer my question. I said find me a charge card that doesn't have a fee. I prefer charge cards and I like using Amex gold as well, so that's one reason. The Amex Platinum card I've been offered on several occasions, but it makes no sense for me to get it, as the Amex Gold card serves my purpose. If you want to know the truth I would prefer an Amex credit card but for those I would need damn there perfect credit up in the 830s and currently I'm in the 700s so it is what it is. I've heard of people trying to get the fee waived and Amex just drops them. For that small fee that I pay, I've gotten so many free things that it's basically a wash. I got a pair of American made jeans for almost $200.00 on Amex's dime, amongst other things, like getting money back for dining out and such. :cool: The only reason my score isn't higher is because of my student loans, which I'm currently paying off, but that's basically my only debt at the moment. Once that is paid off my score will increase significantly. :cool:

Yes, there are no fee credit cards out there but what is the APR?

Not everybody pays off their cards every month. You might think that

I am crazy for paying a $98.00 yearly fee for my Chase Visa, I have had

that card for 10 years, when it used to be Wachovia, Bank One....

my APR is 3.25%, yes it's variable but it's been low for many years, so the

high yearly fee washes out so to speak.

The average card carries at minimum a 12.00% APR, some people are paying

over 20.00%. But I make sure my credit card debt stays under 5k.

I do have a debit card but that is just for minor purchases.

I agree. I mean if folks have such an issue with paying a small fee for a credit or charge card, then use cash. Of course you would absolutely no credit history to speak of which would mean either being denied, being given high interest rates or small credit limits. However, everyone knows that for the small amount you pay out you save in other ways by getting low interest rates on mortgages, cars, etc.

LOL... You still didn't answer my question. I said find me a charge card that doesn't have a fee. I prefer charge cards and I like using Amex gold as well, so that's one reason. The Amex Platinum card I've been offered on several occasions, but it makes no sense for me to get it, as the Amex Gold card serves my purpose. If you want to know the truth I would prefer an Amex credit card but for those I would need damn there perfect credit up in the 830s and currently I'm in the 700s so it is what it is. I've heard of people trying to get the fee waived and Amex just drops them. For that small fee that I pay, I've gotten so many free things that it's basically a wash. I got a pair of American made jeans for almost $200.00 on Amex's dime, amongst other things, like getting money back for dining out and such. :cool: The only reason my score isn't higher is because of my student loans, which I'm currently paying off, but that's basically my only debt at the moment. Once that is paid off my score will increase significantly. :cool:

It's the same f***ing thing!

If you want to throw your money away, I'm not going to stop you.

All I know is I spend what I spend, and every so often I apply my rewards and my bill is greatly reduced for a month. And it costs me NOTHING.

So if you want to keep throwing your money away on fees, and convincing yourself that your rewards bring you back even with the fee and that this is somehow a good deal because a "charge card" is better than a "credit card" then go ahead...it's your money not mine...

I agree. I mean if folks have such an issue with paying a small fee for a credit or charge card, then use cash. Of course you would absolutely no credit history to speak of which would mean either being denied, being given high interest rates or small credit limits. However, everyone knows that for the small amount you pay out you save in other ways by getting low interest rates on mortgages, cars, etc.

The corporate brainwashing is showing itself in this thread and it's sickening.

A credit card is a trap. It's not a privilege for the customer, it's a privilege for the credit card company.

The credit card company makes money off every single credit card purchase, let alone when you pay your bill.

If you don't pay your bill, they make a ton of interest off you...far exceeding any return you can get on any investment known to man.

NOT paying off your bill costs you a TON of money in the long run, over the life of the loan.

Next time you get a bill, read how long it will take you to pay off the balance if you pay the minimum. Look at what the total amount you'll pay comes to, if you do it that way. Then look at what your bill is. The difference is ALL interest, pure profit for the card company.

And then they want to charge you a fee TOO?

No way in hell.

If you don't have the money to pay for something, you shouldn't buy it (at least not with a credit card). The only things worth going into debt for are a home (home equity loan from a bank...NOT a credit card), car (NOT on a credit card), and government student loans (in some cases only).

Debt on routine expenses or ordinary consumer items is the absolute worst. If you don't have the money, SAVE, and buy it then.

If it sounds like a cash only policy, that's because it almost is.

The difference is that credit cards give rewards to good customers, while cash only doesn't...so take advantage of those rewards and you'll be ahead of the game. Not to mention you'll boost your credit score by being smart, and you'll qualify for lower rates on the acceptable kinds of debt mentioned above. Saving you MORE money.

But carry a balance and you'll be behind the 8 ball and making interest payments for years to come. You may get a good credit score, but you'll be paying interest for a long time. Money out the door you'll never get back...that you can't save and invest...and that you can't spend on something new because you're still paying off stuff from last month/year.

And you wonder why the average American has 5 figure credit card debt.

There is no such thing as free money...and if you think there is, you won't realize there isn't until they've got you by the balls.

It's the same f***ing thing!

If you want to throw your money away, I'm not going to stop you.

All I know is I spend what I spend, and every so often I apply my rewards and my bill is greatly reduced for a month. And it costs me NOTHING.

So if you want to keep throwing your money away on fees, and convincing yourself that your rewards bring you back even with the fee and that this is somehow a good deal because a "charge card" is better than a "credit card" then go ahead...it's your money not mine...

You are clearly misinformed. A charge card and a credit card are two different things and your credit score is NOT measured the same with a credit card and a charge card. In any event, I am happy w/my card which is what matters.

Archived