Should The (S) Rockaway Park Shuttle Become The (H) Again?

Nope. The (JFK) was killed in the past, because not much people used it, and people kept stepping into it without paying so there isn't any use there, and the JFK Air Train is already doing the job.
St Louis Car wasn't being serious when he posted that. B)

As for this thread, as long as (A) riders know where the hell their train will head to, I don't see the point in renaming the Lefferts branch the (K) or whatever.

St Louis Car wasn't being serious when he posted that. B)

As for this thread, as long as (A) riders know where the hell their train will head to, I don't see the point in renaming the Lefferts branch the (K) or whatever.

exactly... and i'm hopeful that the 179s will take care of the lack of announcements sometimes on that line.

There's one aspect of being a transit fan that at times seems like a difficult concept to grasp and to really learn well - that it's the MTA's railroad, and that the MTA will do what they darn well please thank you very much.

There are too many times when folks will say something along the lines of: "they gotta rename the #5 to Nereid to the #11", or "rename the A-train to Lefferts to the K", "run the B-train on weekends", or "gotta connect the SAS to the J/Z at Chambers Street", or "they gotta adopt my latest idea for ...".

When in truth the MTA does not "gotta" do any of those things. Why is the Rockaway shuttle named the "S" - bottom line - because that is what the MTA wants to call it, Period.

What is the benefit for calling it the "H"? New maps have be printed, station signage changed, various work orders and procedures have to be changed - all for what benefit? Some kind of historical illusion to the past?

Somehow folks who have traveled a train line for "years" just somehow can not figure out what train is going where? Really - it's not there isn't signage on the trains. And changing the lettering of the train is still basically just changing the signage!

It's the MTA's railroad, and the MTA is doing what it pleases.

Mike

Archived