Your own operations

Q101 E Midtown

If you had your own bus company...

-What would you name it?

-What current or defunct MTA route(including LIB) would you operate?

-What changes, if any, would you make to those routes?

-Who from this or other transit forums would you want to help you (handles only)

-Would you contract your routes out to operate them jointly with someone else? If so, who?

-What fleet would you use?

If I had my own bus company:

Community Transit Alliance (CTA)

Routes:

-All former PBL local lines in Brooklyn and Queens

-Bronx/Queens/Brooklyn-to-Manhattan PBL express service

-Q74,Q75,Q79, B37, B71 (restored in various forms, see changes)

-Q52, Q81, Q94, B10, Bx46 (new routes, see changes)

-Bx16 (currently GH, would be ECH)

Changes I'd make:

-Q7 extended to serve all major JFK terminals

-Q8 extended to serve the Gateway Ctr Mall

-Q10A restored as the Q45, replaces Q10 LTD; Q10 and Q45 serve all terminals at JFK.

-Q45 (formerly Q10A) operates in both directions during rush (to JFK 6AM-9AM, from JFK 3PM-8PM)

-Q45 extended to Queens Center Mall making Limited Stops on Queens Blvd

-Q22 extended to Kings Plaza

-Q22A restored as the Q29

-Q29 and Q33 merged, new service branded Q33

-Q34 Saturday service restored

-Rush hour peak direction Q35 LTD service, making limited stops between Kings Plaza and Brooklyn College

-Q37 serves Aqueduct Racetrack on race days only

-Q38 becomes a loop route in both directions, with 110 St-bound buses looping around to 99 St via 108 St/Horace Harding Expwy

-Q41 extended to Beach 116 St via Q21 routing rush hours in peak direction

-Q45 and Q47 merged, new service branded Q47

-Q49 extended via Roosevelt/Greenpoint Avs to replace northern portion of B24

-Q50 headways decreased to 15 min. during rush hour, hours extended to 5AM-1:30AM

-Q52: pre-takeover Q69, fare-free loop route in both directions, rush hours only

-Q53 restored to pre-takeover stopping pattern

-Q60 gets rush hour LTD service in both directions

-Q66 gets rush hour LTD service in both directions

-Q69 gets extended to Marine Air Terminal

-Q74 restored

-Q75 restored and extended to Queensborough Community College

-Q79 restored and extended to Floral Park LIRR station

-Q81 LTD JFK-Bay Plaza via Belt Pkwy/Springfield Blvd/QCC/Bell Blvd/Throgs Neck Bridge/Tremont Av/Westchester Av/Pelham Bay Park

-Q94 LTD Fordham Plaza-Jamaica LIRR station via Q44 routing, 180 St, Southern Bl, Fordham Rd. Q44 stops in Queens, no stops between 14 Av and Parkchester in the Bronx, then LTD stops thereafter. Some school trips to/from Bronx Science.

-Q100 restored to pre-takeover service pattern

-Q103 gets some weekend service

-Q104 gets extended via 48 St/BQE/Metropolitan Av/Marcy Av/Williamsburg Bridge/Delancey St to replace former B39 and southern portion of B24

B10 LTD St. George-Kings Plaza via S52 routing/Verrazano Bridge/86 St/Av U

B37 partially restored via 3 Av between Calvary Hospital and Downtown Brooklyn, extended into Manhattan via the former B51 routing six days a week.

B71 restored, extended to Chambers St via Broadway/Church St with some school trips to/from Stuyvesant HS

B100 extended via Kings Highway to/from the Kings Highway (F) station.

Bx16 split into two routes; Bx16 to Ropes Av and Bx46 to Mundy Ln.

Bx16 runs via 233 St between Jerome Av and Dyre Av seven days a week.

Bx34 eliminated, replaced by Bx46

Bx46 runs via the Bx34 routing to Katonah Av/242 St, then via 242 St/McLean Av/Nereid Av/Mundy Ln to Mundy Ln/Pitman Av

Bx50 LTD Norwood to LGA via Bainbridge Av/Gun Hill Rd/Webster Av/Melrose Av/3 Av/Triboro Br/Astoria Bl

BxM2 extended via Bway/Church St/6 Av to South Ferry weekdays to replace the BxM18

BxM18 cut

People I'd want with me:

KnightRider, Hawk Operator, Blitz, Checkmatechamp13, B35 via Church, the rest of the B/Os and maintenance guys on here, Via Garibaldi 8, and last but definitely not least Vintage Soul.

I'd probably run the operation in-house rather than contracting out any of the lines.

Fleet:

2010 NovaBus LFSA (high-ridership services)

1999-2006 NovaBus/MTS RTS T80-206 (diesel and CNG)

1999-2009 NovaBus/MTS RTS T80-206 diesel suburban (ECH express routes)

1999-2009 Orion 05.501 (diesel and CNG)

1999-2009 Orion 05.501 diesel suburban (Yonkers express routes)

2003 Orion 05.505 CNG (4 30-footers for the Q52)

-What would you name it?

don't know what I would name it either...

-What current or defunct MTA route (including LIB) would you operate?

I don't quite get the question (in blue).... you mean if I were a bus operator?

If it's relating to how engineerboy answered this question, I would redraw the entire bus network from scratch.... there would be more interborough local routes than there are now, that's for sure.....

^^ this somewhat answers the question (in red)

-Who from this or other transit forums would you want to help you (handles only)

too many to name; for starters, don't feel like listing every bus operator we have on this forum (what good is a bus company w/o drivers).... plus guys like ENY, BrooklynBus, guys who have a nact of gettin/knowin the "inside information", so to speak.... I'd get someone like Yuki (FamousNYLover) also, he could be a one man "street team".....

-Would you contract your routes out to operate them jointly with someone else? If so, who?

Nehhhhh....

O5's, LF's, RTS', MCI's (the newer ones they got now, what are they, the D4500CT's?)

No artics - give people MORE service along the busier lines !

-What current or defunct MTA route (including LIB) would you operate?

I don't quite get the question (in blue).... you mean if I were a bus operator?

O5's, LF's, RTS', MCI's (the newer ones they got now, what are they, the D4500CT's?)

No artics - give people MORE service along the busier lines !

^^That's a good reason not to use artics. lol

For what's in blue, I mean what routes would the company operate.

Company: Not Sure Yet.

All routes including Long Island Bus.

Manhattan:

M1 Weekend Service extended to 65th St.

M5: Have weekened limited service. Local buses will also operate.

All local buses originate/terminate at Manhattanville Bus Depot.

M8/M21/B39: Weekday service restore. Weekend service combined as Loop Bus.

M10: Terminate at Broadway/58th St and Begin at 57th St/8th Av.

M16: Add additional stop at East River Ferry Terminal.

M60: Extend to 96th St Subway Station to better serve (2)(3)(1) trains.

Queens

Q19: Eastbound bus stop at Astoria Blvd & 31st St will be move to 31st St bet. Astoria Blvd & Hoyt Av.

Q72: Extend to Queens Center Mall via Queens Blvd.

Q103: Extend to Hunters Point Pier for East River Ferry connection.

I'll install bike racks on all bus fleets.

I'll also install luggage racks on airport routes, serving Penn Station, Port Authority Bus Terminal Grand Central or Staten Island Ferry terminal.

-What would you name it?

Kings & Queens Bus Lines

-What current or defunct MTA route(including LIB) would you operate?

Brooklyn: B69, B71, B39, B51, B42, B23, B100, B103, B2

Bronx: Bx14, Bx55/15

Queens: Q79, Q22, Q35, Q11/21, Q53, Q50, Q89, Q74,

Staten Island: S53, S79, S89, S93, S59

Express: BM1-5, X18, X22(Outerbridge branch), X30, X16, X18, X20, X15, X90, QM2, QM2A, BxM10, BxM6, BxM18, Union Turnpike Express routes

X22: Rename Outerbridge branch X21

X90: Reroute some trips to serve Grand Central Terminal in the AM and PM

X15: Add service to Midtown via BM1-4 routing

X18: Reroute all trips to Downtown Brooklyn via BQE/Gowanus/4 Av with stops at 9 St/4 Av, and along the B103 north of Schemerhorn St. In addition, a free transfer will be arrange to/from other local and express buses at Fingerboard Rd.

X22: Add Super Express trips with no stops between the Outerbridge P&R and Arthur Kill Road/NY-440

BxM10: Provide service along the BxM6 at Roseland Av and Hugh J Grant Circle outside Rush-hour

Bx55: Eliminate portion north of Fordham Plaza and extend trips to LGA

B39: Rename M39. Provide two branches: One to Union Square and one to Grand Central(both via 1/2 Avenue)

B23: Extend to President Av via Ocean Av, Empire Blvd, Kingston/Brooklyn Avenues. With no stops on Ocean Av. The service will cater to the Jewish community.

X30: Add a stop at EWR.

S59: No longer service Tottenville and only runs during rush hours

S89: Service expanded to middays, evenings/nights, and weekends at the S59's frequencies. In addition, select trips are extended to Bricktown Mall via S78 routing

S79: Limited at all times except late nights.

B71: Extended to South Ferry on the west end. Eastern terminus is extended to Rutland Road (3) Station via Washington Av/Empire Blvd

B69: Reroute northern end to Metropolitan Av/Maspeth Av via B62 routing, Marcy/Havemeyer, and Metropolitan Avenue.

B103: Reroute all trip to/from Downtown Brooklyn via Courtelyou Rd/McDonald Av with stops added at East 16 St, CI Av, Ocean Parkway, E 4 St, McDonald/Courtelyou, Church Av (F)(G) Station, and 4 Av/9 St Station.

Q22: Replace the B2.

Q11: Rename Howard Beach branch Q71. During late nights, the Q11 and Q71 do not operate north of Liberty Av.

Q53: Provides local service from 1AM to 5AM and replaces Q11/21/71 during the same time. In addition, summer service will be added on the Q53

B35 via Church, Via Garbaldi 8, JAzumah, BrooklynBus, FamousNYLover, VintageSoul, etc. I know some of you are B/Os, I'm not sure who though, but I would want you guys to join me. I'll need dispatchers and trainers.

No.

RTS(45 suburban seats per bus, some would be used on express routes)

MCI D4000-D4500

Cutaway(20pax-for charter work and late night service)

Company: Not Sure Yet.

All routes including Long Island Bus.

Manhattan:

M1 Weekend Service extended to 65th St.

M5: Have weekened limited service. Local buses will also operate.

All local buses originate/terminate at Manhattanville Bus Depot.

M8/M21/B39: Weekday service restore. Weekend service combined as Loop Bus.

M10: Terminate at Broadway/58th St and Begin at 57th St/8th Av.

M16: Add additional stop at East River Ferry Terminal.

M60: Extend to 96th St Subway Station to better serve (2)(3)(1) trains.

Queens

Q19: Eastbound bus stop at Astoria Blvd & 31st St will be move to 31st St bet. Astoria Blvd & Hoyt Av.

Q72: Extend to Queens Center Mall via Queens Blvd.

Q103: Extend to Hunters Point Pier for East River Ferry connection.

I'll install bike racks on all bus fleets.

I'll also install luggage racks on airport routes, serving Penn Station, Port Authority Bus Terminal Grand Central or Staten Island Ferry terminal.

My Company Name will be base on my many nicknames.

MetroMan, Yuki Express Inc.

Manhattan:

M104: Expand to East 34th St Pier via 42nd St, 2nd Av, 34th St, Marginal St, FDR Drive, 34th St, 1st Av, 42nd St.

• 3 weeks later...

This seems fun. :P I will only focus on Bronx routes since I'm more familiar with them.

If you had your own bus company, what would you name it?

Bronx Transit Agency (generic, I know)

What current or defunct MTA route(including LIB) would you operate?

Bx1/2, Bx3, Bx4/A, Bx5, Bx8, Bx9, Bx12/SBS, Bx15/55, Bx17, Bx19, Bx21, Bx22, Bx26, Bx28/38, Bx30, Bx31, Bx35, Bx36, Bx40/42.

What changes, if any, would you make to those routes?

Extend the Bx1 back to Riverdale/W. 246 St via Riverdale Av.

Introduce a Bx3 Limited, weekdays and Saturdays.

Extend the Bx4/A to Pelham Bay, and it'll be a through Westchester Av line.

Eliminate Bx5 short turns to White Plains Rd. Unless there's low ridership past White Plains, I see no point in keeping this short turn.

Eliminate the Bx20, and introduce the Bx7A to serve Riverdale and Washington Hts via Henry Hudson Pkwy, weekday rush hours only.

Revive the Port Morris section for the Bx17.

Bx22 branch to Bedford Park would be a weekday rush hour only extension.

Reroute the Bx28 back to Co-op City and partially serve Bay Plaza, eliminate the Bx38 designation, and eliminate short turns to Norwood weekday rush hours only.

Bx31 would partially serve its former 233 St terminus via Carpenter, Nereid, and Webster, and then resume its normal route.

Combine the Bx16 and Bx34. 'nuff said.

Introduce a Bx40 Limited, weekdays only.

Extend the Bx55 to Wakefield and Mott Haven, revive Saturday service between Fordham and The Hub.

What fleet would you use?

Artics, Orion V, Hybrids, RTS for life. :cool:

Own bus company:

Borough Transportation Authority of New York State (BTANYS)

or

New York State Borough Transit Authority (NYSBTA)

Routes:

Brooklyn: B77, and make it run between Flatbush Av-Brooklyn College and South Ferry via Ikea Terminal or Red Hook.

Bring back B37 via 3 Av between V A Hospital and Williamsburg Bridge Plaza.

B8 to East New York-Broadway Junction Station (A)(C)(J)(L)(Z).

B9 to Bay Ridge-Shore Road at 83rd Street

B11 to Bergen Beach-East 71st St

B107 between Spring Creek Towers and Stuyvesant High School

Manhattan: M30 Local and Limited running via Broadway straight.

Queens: Leave the way it is.

Staten Island: S73 between Hylan Blvd and Bay Ridge-Shore Road

Bronx: Bx66 between The Hub/3 Av-149 St Station (2)(5) and 242 St-Van Cortlandt Park East

Operate:

Brooklyn: B1, B6, B8, B9, B11, B16, B35, B41, B44, B70, B82

Manhattan: M5, M9, M16, M23, M34, M42, M50, M57, M66, M72, M79, M86, M96, M98, M101, M103, M104, M116

Queens: Q1, Q3, Q37, Q42, Q43, Q60, Q77, Q83, Q101, Q102, Q103, Q104, Q111, Q112, Q113

Bronx: Bx1, Bx2, Bx3, Bx5, Bx7, Bx9, Bx11, Bx13, Bx15, Bx19, Bx28, Bx30, Bx38, Bx40, Bx42, Bx55, Bx66

Staten Island: S40, S51, S53, S78, S79, S89, S90, S93, S98

Fleet:

Novabus LFS Articulated

Novabus RTS

Prevost X3-45

New Flyer C40LF 1998-2000

New Flyer C40LF 2011-2012

New Flyer D60HF 1998-1999

New Flyer D60HF 2002-2003

Orion 5

Orion 5 CNG

Orion 7 Hybrid

Orion 7 Next Generation CNG

Orion 7 Next Generation Hybrid

MCI D4500

MCI D4500CL

MCI D4500CT

To my previous post.

Weekdays, M5 Local terminate/originate at Houston St/LaGuardia Place. M5 Limited will continue to/from South Ferry during this time.

Weekends, M5 continues to/from South Ferry.

Q19 extended to Hunters Point Pier, making Q100 Limited-stop.

What would you name it?

Staten Island Transit Authority.

What current or defunct MTA route(including LIB) would you operate?

Well, I'd probably be asking for a subsidy from the MTA to run the system, but I'd try to get the highest ridership for my investment by connecting the SI routes to major traffic generators (I'd run all SI local routes).

I'd also add TSP to all of the routes.

What changes, if any, would you make to those routes?

S40/S90: Reroute to serve the West Shore Plaza, and then continue onto the West Shore Expressway for one exit to terminate at Victory Blvd.

S42: Extended down Henderson Avenue, Broadway, and the rest of the S54 route. Weekend service restored (note that the small section along Prospect Avenue would lose service). Service cut back to Seaview Hospital outside of rush hours. See also S79A.

S44/S94: Rerouted down Port Richmond Avenue north of Forest Avenue, and then sent down Castleton Avenue to St. George.

S46/S96: I'd cut the S46 back to run rush hours only (peak direction). See also S44 and S53.

S48/S98: I'd reroute the S98 to serve Newark Airport at all times except nights, when the S48 would serve it. It would also serve the Elizabeth NJT station.

S53: New S83 limited-stop created by converting some S53s into S83s. All S83 buses extended to Grandview Avenue/Forest Avenue. During rush hours, all S53 buses extended there as well.

S54: Combined with S42.

S56: Rerouted to serve Bricktown, and then extended over the Outerbridge Crossing to the Perth Amboy NJT station.

S57: Swapped with S76 south of New Dorp Lane/Richmond Road (Still terminates at Ebbitts Street).

S59: Takes over S44 route north of Forest Avenue, and cut back to Eltingville at all times (night service added). Rush hours, limited-stop service runs full route, and local service runs until Jewett Avenue.

S66: Weekend service added.

S76/S86: Route swapped with S57 south of Richmond Road/New Dorp Lane. Still terminates at Mill Road/Delwit Avenue.

S79: Becomes all-limited down Hylan Blvd and Richmond Avenue.

S79A: Runs 7 days per week, and is a local version of the S79 that covers Giffords Lane rather than Richmond Avenue.

S89: Extended to Bricktown via Hylan Blvd.

S93: Extended to Arlington via Goethals Road North/Fahy Avenue and South Avenue.

New route:

S82: Travels from Bayonne to the Pleasant Plains Park-and-Ride 7 days per week, via Richmond Avenue, Goethals Road North/Fahy Avenue, South Avenue, and the WSE. Also extended to Newark Airport via JFK Blvd and I-78 to provide Bayonne residents with direct access to Newark Airport.

Who from this or other transit forums would you want to help you (handles only)

There are a lot of people on these forums that would help, but the first people I'd hire would be B35 via Church, Via Garibaldi, and BrooklynBus, as well as FamousNYLover (to do things like helping lost passengers and things like that)

Would you contract your routes out to operate them jointly with someone else? If so, who?

No.

What fleet would you use?

Orion 5s, since they travel faster and the doors close a lot faster, which speed up travel.

To my previous post.

Weekdays, M5 Local terminate/originate at Houston St/LaGuardia Place. M5 Limited will continue to/from South Ferry during this time.

Weekends, M5 continues to/from South Ferry.

Q19 extended to Hunters Point Pier, making Q100 Limited-stop.

To add:

M5 Limited runs local south of 8th St.

M5 Local makes all stops.

Here are my Operation Weekdays Only

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201703423907676287259.0004aa81afa900321f360&ie=UTF8&ll=40.77162,-73.901214&spn=0.082885,0.141999&vpsrc=6&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201703423907676287259.0004aa81afa900321f360&ie=UTF8&ll=40.77162,-73.901214&spn=0.082885,0.141999&vpsrc=6&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">My Operation- Weekdays</a> in a larger map</small>[/GMAPS]

For portion of M5 LTD & M104, please see link.

New Q19 Stops:

WB

Same stop as Q100 Limited until 28th St, then only stop at Jackson Av/Court Sq and Vernon Blvd/50th Av, Borden Av/2nd St, Hunters Point Pier.

EB:

Stops at Borden Av/2nd St, Vernon Blvd, 21st St/40th Av, then regular Q100 Limited stops to Astoria Blvd.

Astoria Blvd/31st St bus stop relocate to 31st St between Astoria Blvd & Hoyt Av under the el.

Q103:

New Stops:

Borden Av/2nd St & Hunters Point Pier.

M60:

New last stop/terminal:

West End Av/96th St

New first stop: Broadway/96th St

M16: Additional stop at East 34th St Pier

M104: Rush Hour only.

Makes M42 stops to 2nd Av, then only stops at 34th St/2nd Av, 34th St/1st Av and East 34th St Pier.

Toward W. Harlem, bus will only stop at 1st Av/34th St and M42 stops from 42nd St/1st Av to 8th Av only.

2691920781_c5524c8106.jpg

Can anybody tell me what type bus the top pic is?

thanks

Going by Google Search alone, it seems to be a Volvo or Volvogen bus. I don't know anything about it though. At least it seems to be a newer model.

Anyway....

A bus company? Can't see myself heading one. I wouldn't want to operate only some routes at the exclusion of all the rest, either.

I'm sure a lot of folks here would be invaluable in helping run such a company.

As for changes to routes, It'd be more convenient to just make a thread for it...

• 2 weeks later...
Name:

VG8 Bus

Operator:

Gorgor representatives

Route:

x90 that flies to the WFC, overtakes many buses on the bridge to SI, makes one stop in Staten Island, goes directly to Whole Foods and then to Midtown, back to the WFC, and back to Yorkville and loops.

Fleet:

Dedicated three-seat express MCIs

Reason: I'd never hear another complaint on the forums ever again

:cool:

Lmaooo!!!!! :cool:

Archived