The MTA's Secret Plan to Eliminate the B2

BrooklynBus

QJT was responding to AEMoreira's plan....

As for your question, that much I'm not sure of.... I'd stop to think that the rockaway riders (west of the wye) that are going to manhattan, are moreso the ones that all pile onto Q53's @ 116th to xfer for the (A)....

Remember the whole thing regarding the Q35 & the making of all the stops it used to along F'bush.... Brooklyn riders weren't the ones that cried foul regarding that... It was the rockaway folks that wanted faster access to/from the IRT....

Those riders are gonna get on the first bus that shows, I'm almost 100% sure of that.... you have to realize how certain groups of riders think/react/feel when it comes to public transportation.... Rockaway residents (in general) feel like they've been neglected (puttin it nicely), and I don't blame them one bit...

Although I use the Q35 on mainly the Brooklyn end, i have to say that since they turned it into a limited only bus, service has been more 'consistant'. In the sense that buses would usually be about 15min apart middays as opposed to 'whenever'.

When they were 'all stops' some drivers would still bypass even the B41 limited stops because it seems 'oh they'll take the b41'. Now with the changes, Q35 drivers have to stop if there's a person waiting [well also flagging them down-if I'm like the only person standing].

So at first when the Q35 mirrored the B41 limited stops in some places, I hated having to get off north of Kings highway [sb]. But when they moved that stop from in front of the gas station to in front of the bank, that made the Q35 as good an option as the B41 limited. So thanks to the queens side, the Q35 is very good for me as a Brooklyn resident.

There would be no local northbound service south of 160 Avenue or local southbound service to 165 Avenue. That is why it continues to the Rockaways, for network coverage. And of course, it is currently interlined with the Q35.

yeh... too bad there are more incoming 35's that turn into outgoing 21's (or go OOS) than incoming 21's that turn into outgoing 35's (or also go OOS)....

there's a much higher probability that an incoming 21 will leave as a 21, than an incoming 35 leaving as a 35.....

w/ the 35, Queens bound service is fine throughout the day.... Brooklyn bound service is where most the problems begin at...

Out of curiosity, you mentioned that riders in Rockaway Park were taking the buses in the area to avoid the shuttle. Out of all of the riders in the area, what percentage would you say do the following?:

*Q21/Q53 to Broad Channel for the (A)

*Q22 to Beach 67th Street for the (A)

*Q53 to Rockaway Blvd for the (A)

And does it vary based on the time of day (are there more riders going to Rockaway Blvd off-peak when the (A) runs infrequently?)

of the riders in Rockaway park... ok...

- Q21/53 @ broad channel... virtually no one does that (either route), I gotta say 0%

- Q22 @ B 67th, I'll say like 5%

- Q53 to Rockaway blvd, I'll say 80% (minimum)

- B 116th st (S) to Broad Channel for the (A) I'll say 15% (max)

(I've added that last one in...)

During off peak, is why said 80% minimum.... Q53 usage is slightly higher around that time... During peak hrs (since those riders know the timetable of the (S) down to the 'T') is where you'll see a bit of a spike in ppl. resorting to using the shuttle.... The Q22 from rockaway park to B. 67th is the last option those riders consider, on or off peak...

the amt of ppl. you do see waiting at B 67th (A) (manhattan bound), are pretty much those that live in all those apt's (around the upper B. 90's)... that's not really rockaway park though; I think that's considered seaside....

Is there a reaseon why the Q21/22/35 together has like 30-40 buses in total

That depot also has a run on the Q41. The Q22 needs about 14-15 buses at peak, the Q35 about 8-9 buses, the Q11/21 about 4-5 buses, and the Q41 1 bus.

My plan would have service alternate between Kings Highway and Brooklyn College.

Archived