American to order the Airbus A320neo and more Boeing 737s

AMR Corporation Announces Largest Aircraft Order in History With Boeing and Airbus

American Airlines to Order 460 Narrowbody Jets to Replace and Transform its Fleet

American expects to create youngest, most fuel-efficient fleet among U.S. industry peers in approximately five years

Agreement includes options and purchase rights for 465 additional aircraft through 2025

American to be first U.S. network carrier to take delivery of Airbus A320neo Family aircraft and first airline to commit to Boeing's expected new 737 family offering

FORT WORTH, Texas, July 20, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- AMR Corporation (NYSE: AMR), the parent company of American Airlines and American Eagle, today announced landmark agreements with Airbus and Boeing that will allow it to replace and transform American's narrowbody fleet over five years and solidify its fleet plan into the next decade. These new aircraft will allow American to reduce its operating and fuel costs and deliver state-of-the-art amenities to customers, while maximizing financial flexibility for the Company.

Under the new agreements, American plans to acquire 460 narrowbody, single-aisle aircraft from the Boeing 737 and Airbus A320 families beginning in 2013 through 2022 – the largest aircraft order in aviation history. As part of these agreements, starting in 2017 American will become the first network U.S. airline to begin taking delivery of "next generation" narrowbody aircraft that will further accelerate fuel-efficiency gains.

These new deliveries are expected to pave the way for American to have the youngest and most fuel-efficient fleet among its U.S. airline peers in approximately five years.

American also will benefit from approximately $13 billion of committed financing provided by the manufacturers through lease transactions that will help maximize balance sheet flexibility and reduce risk. The financing fully covers the first 230 deliveries.

Gerard Arpey, Chairman and CEO of AMR and American Airlines, noted that today's order represents another important step in the Company's strategy to build a strong foundation for the future.

"We have a long track record of meeting our obligations to all of our stakeholders, including strategic partners, lenders, suppliers and investors. We believe this history continues to help us navigate today's challenges while remaining focused on doing what's necessary to position American Airlines for long-term success, and we look forward to working with Boeing and Airbus to achieve it," Arpey said. "Today's announcement paves the way for us to achieve important milestones in our company's future, giving us the ability to replace our narrowbody fleet and finance it responsibly. This was an incredible opportunity for our company that presented itself from two great manufacturers. And, given our aggressive and ambitious fleet plans, we feel fortunate to have both Boeing and Airbus standing beside us to meet our needs. With today's news, we expect to have the youngest and most fuel-efficient fleet among our peers in the U.S. industry within five years. This new fleet will dramatically improve our fuel and operating costs, while enhancing our financial flexibility. More than that, with the power of our network and partnerships and the dedication of our people, we will be an even stronger competitor."

Said Tom Horton, President of AMR and American Airlines: "Our efforts in recent years have transformed nearly every corner of our business. We've strengthened our liquidity, focused our network and alliance relationships on serving the world's most important markets with the best partners, enhanced our products and services with industry-leading technology, and worked to improve the customer experience. Today's announcement will accelerate this transformation, delivering important benefits to our shareholders, customers and employees."

Under the agreement with Boeing, American plans to acquire a total of 200 additional aircraft from the 737 family, with options for another 100 737 family aircraft. American has the flexibility to convert the new deliveries into variants within the 737 family, including the 737-700, 737-800 and 737-900ER.

As part of the Boeing agreement, American will take delivery of 100 aircraft from Boeing's current 737NG family starting in 2013, including three 737-800 options that had been exercised as of July 1, 2011. American also intends to order 100 of Boeing's expected new evolution of the 737NG, with a new engine that would offer even more significant fuel-efficiency gains over today's models. American is pleased to be the first airline to commit to Boeing's new 737 family offering, which is expected to provide a new level of economic efficiency and operational performance, pending final confirmation of the program by Boeing. This airplane would be powered by CFM International's LEAP-X engine.

American's most recent deliveries of the 737-800, with 160 seats, include the all-new Boeing Sky Interior, offering larger overhead bins that pivot down and out similar to those on the 787 Dreamliner, a contemporary feeling of spaciousness and variable LED lighting options for cabin ambience.

"We are pleased to continue our long and successful partnership with American Airlines," said Jim Albaugh, President and CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes. "While the 737 family will continue to serve an important role in American's narrowbody fleet – delivering customer and cost benefits in both its current form and future evolution – as American's primary widebody partner, we are excited to deliver to its customers all of the benefits and cutting-edge technology of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner and the 777-300ER. We look forward to strengthening our partnership for the future."

American also will acquire a total of 260 Airbus aircraft from the A320 Family and will have 365 options and purchase rights for additional aircraft. American has the flexibility to convert its delivery positions into variants within the A320 Family, including the A319 and A321.

American will take delivery of 130 current-generation Airbus A320 Family aircraft beginning in 2013. Beginning in 2017 American will begin taking delivery of 130 aircraft from the A320neo (New Engine Option) Family featuring next-generation engine technology. The new aircraft are approximately 15 percent more fuel efficient than today's models. American will be the first network airline in the U.S. to deploy this new-technology aircraft.

The A320 Family features cabin interiors with increased overhead storage, reduced noise and ambient lighting options.

"American's order represents a strong vote of confidence in our product in the important North American market, and we feel certain our A320 Family aircraft will help the American team deliver a great experience for customers while helping the airline to achieve cost efficiencies that will benefit its shareholders," said Airbus President and CEO Tom Enders. "We are proud to renew our partnership with a company that has a long history of airline industry leadership."

Read more: http://aa.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=3286

SOURCE AMR Corporation

Well this is quite a surprise! I expected AA to order 460 B737's. I don't think they have ordered an Airbus product since the A300. And that last of those was retired in 2009.:tup:

Yea. I thought their relationship died with the tragedy in the Rockaways.

Lets hope that does'nt happen!:eek:

It'll happen. The Mad Dogs are great, but their time has come. Just be happy we got to hold on to them for so long (some may argue past their time).

It'll happen. The Mad Dogs are great, but their time has come. Just be happy we got to hold on to them for so long (some may argue past their time).

I know... It's just that i'd hate to see them go. I see SAS Mad Dogs fly over my house and my old school every day. I love them.

I know... It's just that i'd hate to see them go. I see SAS Mad Dogs fly over my house and my old school every day. I love them.

They're the loudest of all the planes that fly over my house (I live under the LGA 31 landing approach and 13 takeoff route), both Delta's and AA's. I would say good riddance, but I guess it doesn't matter anymore since I'm dorming at college.

Still, this is interesting news. I'd heard AA had a gentleman's agreement that they would buy only from Boeing. Apparently not.

They're the loudest of all the planes that fly over my house (I live under the LGA 31 landing approach and 13 takeoff route), both Delta's and AA's. I would say good riddance, but I guess it doesn't matter anymore since I'm dorming at college.

Still, this is interesting news. I'd heard AA had a gentleman's agreement that they would buy only from Boeing. Apparently not.

Boeing has had Gentleman's agreements in place with American, Delta, and Continental for quite a while.

Prior to the MD take-over by these agreements were actually in writing, but once Boeing absorbed MD, the agreements were dissolved as they were now deemed illegal by law.

United and Boeing also have had a interesting gentleman's agreement in place for some time as well, but this only encompassed wide-body aircraft.

On the flipside, Airbus got the narrow-body orders.

The new United Continental, and Delta/Northwest will order products from both manufacturers.

You're going to miss them when they're gone.

Nope. I've never liked the T-tail configuration for some reason -- I think because it makes the plane look unbalanced to me. Plus they're the loudest of all the airplanes that fly over my house.

So i take it you don't like the 717 either? Or the 727?

I've never had the 727 fly over my house. AirTran's 717s have, and they're quieter than the Mad Dogs. I'm not knocking the aircraft themselves -- just the aesthetics. Maybe it's because the Mad Dogs are bigger.

I've never had the 727 fly over my house. AirTran's 717s have, and they're quieter than the Mad Dogs. I'm not knocking the aircraft themselves -- just the aesthetics. Maybe it's because the Mad Dogs are bigger.

Well, i've never had either of those fly over my house to my knowledge, but i have seen one or two 717s at Arlanda. I've never even seen a 727 with my own eyes, but i know i love them and the entire DC-9/MD-80/MD-90 family, including the "MD-95", aka the Boeing 717.

Well, i've never had either of those fly over my house to my knowledge, but i have seen one or two 717s at Arlanda. I've never even seen a 727 with my own eyes, but i know i love them and the entire DC-9/MD-80/MD-90 family, including the "MD-95", aka the Boeing 717.

See, that's the thing. Planes fly over my house every few minutes. It can get annoying at times.

See, that's the thing. Planes fly over my house every few minutes. It can get annoying at times.

Well i can't argue with you about that since i only live under, what i think is Arlandas holding-pattern. But from my old school i could on clear days see every take-off/landing* at Bromma.

*Since they only have one runway it depends on the wind direction.

The 727's (without "Hush Kit's) were slightly louder than the Mad Dogs because it has 3 engines. The Pratt & Whitney JT8D was one of the loudest engines ever produced. They are standard equipment on all DC-9/MD-80 series planes. Size really has nothing to do with the noise level in this situation. However, larger plains do require more thrust and thus CAN be louder.

The MD-90's have IAE V2500 engines similar to the ones offered on the Airbus A320 family. Those are more quiet as well.

The 717(MD-95) is much quieter because it has newer Rolls-Royce BR715 engines.

Size really has nothing to do with the noise level in this situation.

I was talking about how the plane looks. For me, the T-tail with engines on the rear fuselage looks a bit imbalanced when compared to the standard fuselage mounted tails... but that's just my opinion.

That's what i love about those. They're acctually part BMW engines: http://www.airliners.net/photo/AirTran/Boeing-717-2BD/0048305/L/&sid=b1a4d0e17492a0601b4305860d185900

Rolls-Royce is a division of BMW. The BMW designation was dropped shortly after the introduction of the aircraft, and the take-over of RR. It was dropped in 2000 IIRC.

I was talking about how the plane looks. For me, the T-tail with engines on the rear fuselage looks a bit imbalanced when compared to the standard fuselage mounted tails... but that's just my opinion.

Oh ok, now I gotcha.

Nice. Sounds like a job i'd like.

There is a worldwide shortage of aircraft techs, so now is the time! You have to be 18, and able to pass a Federal background check. I know it's basically the same requirements in the same in most western countries.

There is a worldwide shortage of aircraft techs, so now is the time! You have to be 18, and able to pass a Federal background check. I know it's basically the same requirements in the same in most western countries.

Im just going to finish high school and then i'll apply! If i require further education, then i'll do it.

The Super 80s are great airplanes. A bit underpowered in hot weather and doing the weight and balance can be a PITA, but those things can take a beating. When I worked at USAir I always thought if they had upgraded them from -81 to -82/-83 specs we could have kept them longer.

Archived