43% of subway fare-beaters are kids, report finds, costing the MTA millions

Shortline Bus

43% of subway fare-beaters are kids, report finds, costing the MTA millions

BY Trevor Kapp and Pete Donohue

NY DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Wednesday, July 20th 2011

"Some of the subway's littlest riders are its biggest fare-beaters, a new study says.

Kids taller than 44 inches - the height limit for a free ride - made up 43% of fare-beaters observed by NYC Transit surveyors last year, an agency staff report says.

The "predominant mode of evasion is children over 44 inches ducking under turnstiles," the report says.

The surveyors noted that a subway surveillance camera even spotted a young boy enter without paying - and then open an emergency exit gate from the inside so his stroller-pushing mother could also ride free.

The lost revenue from the pint-size scofflaws is not small change. It costs the agency millions of dollars a year, the report says.

Some parents told the Daily News Tuesday they had no qualms about beating the system.

"The MTA's dumb. ... As long as they don't enforce it, we'll keep doing it," west Harlem mom Janet Carrion, 42, said.

Carrion, who works as a baby-sitter, doesn't pay for her own boys, ages 8 and 9, to ride the subway.

"We pay for every little thing, and the fare is too expensive to begin with," she said. "I don't feel guilty."

Store clerk Aricellis Maldonado, 28, of Crown Heights, Brooklyn, never pays for her 9-year-old son, who is about 2 inches over the limit.

"No one's ever stopped me, and until they do, we'll keep doing this," Maldonado said.

Louise Montelleone, 43, a Bronx computer technician, applied for a city-issued student MetroCard for her 9-year-old daughter. Montelleone felt guilty about evading the fare, she said.

"They never enforce it," she said. "I felt bad, though."

Transit staffers presented their report at a think tank's annual conference, but it is not considered an official Metropolitan Transportation Authority document, an agency spokesman said.

Some cheats don't know they are fare-beating, the authors speculated.

"Passengers may be unaware of height guidelines determining when children must begin to pay, which were posted at booths that many customers no longer use," they wrote.

The authority is considering placing signs near turnstiles to alert riders of the height rule.

The evasion rate peaks at 3 p.m. shortly after students are dismissed from school.

Among other fare-beaters, some 24% spotted by surveyors last year involved riders slipping through open or unlocked exit gates.

About 32% used other illegal techniques, including turnstile-jumping and two riders doubling up and entering at the same time."

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/07/20/2011-07-20_toying_with_mta_43_of_subway_farebeaters_are_kids_report_finds.html

Again guys don't blast me lol but just making a suggestion many NYC bus/subway riders have said for years and what this kid fare beating story also brings up?

Should the (MTA) create a 1/2 fare at least on weekends and holidays for kids ages 6-12 (similar to LIRR/Metro North)and many transit systems across America?

Again guys don't blast me lol but just making a suggestion many NYC bus/subway riders have said for years and what this kid fare beating story also brings up?

Should the (MTA) create a 1/2 fare at least on weekends and holidays for kids ages 6-12 (similar to LIRR/Metro North)and many transit systems across America?

No need for all of that. Just enforce the fare! :mad: Even with that in place those parents will still walk on with their brats making a sh*t load of noise and not paying a dime. So folks have to put up with the noise AND have to pay for them too with higher fares. Talk about a double slap in the face. It's clear that the (MTA) just doesn't want to address the issue. They know damn well that those signs are going to be ignored, so why bother wasting money to have them put up for when that money could be used to fine them? It's nothing but a smokescreen to pretend like they're doing something, otherwise you'd have more and more folks doing it, which is basically what is happening.

No need for all of that. Just enforce the fare! :mad: Even with that in place those parents will still walk on with their brats making a sh*t load of noise and not paying a dime. So folks have to put up with the noise AND have to pay for them too with higher fares. Talk about a double slap in the face. It's clear that the (MTA) just doesn't want to address the issue. They know damn well that those signs are going to be ignored, so why bother wasting money to have them put up for when that money could be used to fine them? It's nothing but a smokescreen to pretend like they're doing something, otherwise you'd have more and more folks doing it, which is basically what is happening.

Do they necessarily make a lot of noise? Most of the time, the little kids are relatively quiet: It's teenagers who make a lot of the noise.

I remember once, I was 8 or 9 years old, and I ducked under the turnstile, and an MTA worker said "You have to pay". When my mom came up (she doing something at the token booth. Probably buying a MetroCard), he just said "Just kidding".

I was fairly short, but probably a couple of inches over the height limit.

In any case, it is generally the parents who are the ones traveling, and they're bringing the kids along so they don't have to leave them home alone.

Do they necessarily make a lot of noise? Most of the time, the little kids are relatively quiet: It's teenagers who make a lot of the noise.

I remember once, I was 8 or 9 years old, and I ducked under the turnstile, and an MTA worker said "You have to pay". When my mom came up (she doing something at the token booth. Probably buying a MetroCard), he just said "Just kidding".

I was fairly short, but probably a couple of inches over the height limit.

In any case, it is generally the parents who are the ones traveling, and they're bringing the kids along so they don't have to leave them home alone.

They should certainly pay on the express bus. You've got parents bringing them on the express bus and then they take up like 3 seats and folks that do pay have to be all squeezed up or may have to stand. If they're not paying then "dada" or "mama" should have them on their laps.

They should certainly pay on the express bus. You've got parents bringing them on the express bus and then they take up like 3 seats and folks that do pay have to be all squeezed up or may have to stand. If they're not paying then "dada" or "mama" should have them on their laps.

Garibaldi you aware that 'adult' disabled and senior riders(ages 65 & up)already ride for 1/2 fare on (MTA) Manhattan express buses after 8pm weekdays and all times weekends right? Why not for kids ages 6-12

off peak?

the attitudes of these idiot parents once again proves once and for all that all too many who have kids SHOULD NOT

they're teaching their kids the rules don't apply, and then they grow up into unproductive problem kids.

if you don't want to pay for your damn kid then leave them at home.

as for the kids farebeating, this is why i've said I'd love to see a joint station safety effort between NYCT and NYPD (i know, wishlist and very unlikely) that basically puts a police officer in the station like an S/A, but who also can give information and sell metrocards...and most importantly be armed and leave the booth if need be. It would increase station security significantly, and if that person caught a farebeat that would be a wrap. send mommy and daddy the bill from transit adjudication bureau, and they probably won't do it again. and if they do, keep sending them the bill. in the end, the mta might actually MAKE money off farebeating, with proper enforcement.

the attitudes of these idiot parents once again proves once and for all that all too many who have kids SHOULD NOT

they're teaching their kids the rules don't apply, and then they grow up into unproductive problem kids.

as for the kids farebeating, this is why i've said I'd love to see a joint station safety effort between NYCT and NYPD (i know, wishlist and very unlikely) that basically puts a police officer in the station like an S/A, but who also can give information and sell metrocards...and most importantly be armed and leave the booth if need be. It would increase station security significantly, and if that person caught a farebeat that would be a wrap. send mommy and daddy the bill from transit adjudication bureau, and they probably won't do it again. and if they do, keep sending them the bill. in the end, the mta might actually MAKE money off farebeating, with proper enforcement.

Idk about them making money off of it since it would cost money to send fares. If a fine were law that was payable to the MTA, then it might be more useful.

Idk about them making money off of it since it would cost money to send fares. If a fine were law that was payable to the MTA, then it might be more useful.

Yes, in the eyes of the law, a fine like that should be treated the same as student loan debt or court awards...cannot be forgiven through bankruptcy.

Garibaldi you aware that 'adult' disabled and senior riders(ages 65 & up)already ride for 1/2 fare on (MTA) Manhattan express buses after 8pm weekdays and all times weekends right? Why not for kids ages 6-12

off peak?

Because they still wouldn't pay anyway. They would come up with some excuse as to why kids should ride for free, so to avoid any confusion, they should pay the full fare. Besides, for all of the people complaining about the express bus costing the (MTA) so much, we can't afford to have kids riding for free and taking up seats that could be used by customers that ARE paying the full fare. If they want to pay less, then there's something called the local bus or the subway. The seniors and disabled folks I have no problems with because they need the express bus and the express bus is safer for them than the subway.

I remember when I was just about the height limit on buses, seom B/O's would make my parent pay for me, some would wave me on. On the RTS's they would use that horizontal silver bar that separates the cockpit from the rest of the bus as the ruler. I don't know what they do with the newer buses that don't have it.

I still remember the last time I ducked under the turnstile. I was only 11, and my mom was in a hurry, and couldn't be bothered to get me a ride. I'm pretty big for my age, so going under the turnstile even then was a royal pain.

Back when I was in middle school, one day at Grand Army Plaza this kid held open the emergency exit and a stream of kids just walked through the door. It's just as ridiculous as it sounds.

Writing this, I remember one time at 137th St-City College, on a day where the (2) was terminating there because of a G.O. This older teenager-looking guy jumped the turnstile, going pretty much unnoticed by all the (MTA) personnel on the platform. Or maybe they just knew it was better not to confront him?

Why, if you they can't pay the fare they shouldn't ride. It's as simple as that, no where does it say that you have a right to FREE public transportation.

Oh and I so sick of these parents b*tching about the fare being so expensive, but yet their kids have the latest sneakers and latest gear on, but oh, everything is so expensive. What about the millions of people that do pay for the fare? I'm sure they think it's expensive also, but they don't farebeat. It's just a BS excuse to justify them not paying. They wouldn't pay even if the fare was lowered and most importantly they won't pay so long as the fare isn't enforced. :mad:

Things like this makes me think that the (MTA) isn't as nearly as broke as they claim to be because if they really were, they would be looking for every nickel and dime they could get their hands on. What pisses me more as taxpayer is that we working folks already subsidize the system AND we give welfare to the deadbeats that don't work and then they turn around and farebeat to help increase our fares. They are a total drain on our system and a complete waste. I say ship them out somewhere! :mad:

This is exactly what the cops should be used for. Not damn crackdowns on ppl taking photos. Student MCs, bs... but that's another issue.

Why, if you they can't pay the fare they shouldn't ride. It's as simple as that, no where does it say that you have a right to FREE public transportation.
Total truth. Just anyway to scam the system and forcing the rest of us to pay for them on top of the fares we already pay. And the MTA wonders why they are in the hole...

Have you seen the kids these days? they just hold the back door of the bus for their 'buddies' and get on the bus because it's faster than to wait on the line for the front of the bus. What the hell is the point of them getting free MCs for? Damn brats are just taking up space on the train/bus on our fare. I say they should pay for their own card given the MTA being deep in the red ink. The MTA just can't afford to keep that program anymore. Student cards should be a DOE issue.

Have you seen the kids these days? they just hold the back door of the bus for their 'buddies' and get on the bus because it's faster than to wait on the line for the front of the bus. What the hell is the point of them getting free MCs for? Damn brats are just taking up space on the train/bus on our fare. I say they should pay for their own card given the MTA being deep in the red ink. The MTA just can't afford to keep that program anymore. Student cards should be a DOE issue.

I agree. Let dada and mama pay for it. They get enough free sh*t on the taxpayers dime... Free breakfast, free lunch, free education. That's enough right there. :mad:

Kids 12 or 10 and under should ride for FREE.Height makes no sense b\c not everyone grows at the same rate a child may be 6 or 7 yrs old at over 44 inches and a kid may be 10 or 11 under 44.

This is not strictly enforced b\c I see it damn near everyday kids a bit shorter than me I know they're way younger than me.

That comment about not feeling guilty from that 28 year old mother makes me sick. I hope an NYPD officer catches her in the act and arrests her for fare evasion. Her intent is clearly to commit fare evasion so she deserves to be locked up.

Even if no one catches you, it still doesn't make it right. That woman ought to take an ethics course.

It seems like most parents and fare beaters are the people that lack common sense, because if they never lacked common sense then they would know that the money they give to the (MTA) is used to help their freaking rides in the f**king damn future.

There are people who ride on the regional Rail children's fare when they should be on the Adult fare... As i was exiting the Penn Station the other day , this women and man went through normally and then ushered there 6 kids to duck under the turnstiles... ....sigh it angers me , and kids are the main fare beaters on the Light Rail and bus system....:mad:

Archived