43% of subway fare-beaters are kids, report finds, costing the MTA millions

Shortline Bus

LOL, youre all hypocrites. I bet you weren't saying that when you were ten and still going under turnstiles, or when you all got your student metrocards like it was a right you earned....

Sorry to disappoint you, but I was raised not to be a savage and to be a responsible member of my community. Ever since I met the height requirement I have been paying my fare to ride the subways or buses. I guess not everyone was raised properly.

I remember back when I was living with my dad when I was much shorter, on weekdays I had my student MetroCard and would use that to ride the system, whereas on weekends I'd double up on or go under the turnstiles until I was around 10. The bus operators were usually more persistent with the fare than the station agents. In 2002 I got myself a gig at my dad's friend's law office making $20 every Saturday and from there I started paying the fare on weekends just to avoid the bickering.

Again guys don't blast me lol but just making a suggestion many NYC bus/subway riders have said for years and what this kid fare beating story also brings up?

Should the (MTA) create a 1/2 fare at least on weekends and holidays for kids ages 6-12 (similar to LIRR/Metro North)and many transit systems across America?

that wouldnt do anything because they will still farebeat that too, they dont pay and there are so many adults that do it too so just giving them a lower fare isnt going too help because they will still just hope the thing. what they need too do is hurry up with the new system for paying, they new tap and go, and change the turnstiles so its harder to hop and do some enforcement. that would do a big help than we wouldnt have so much money lost too fare evaders.

that wouldnt do anything because they will still farebeat that too, they dont pay and there are so many adults that do it too so just giving them a lower fare isnt going too help because they will still just hope the thing. what they need too do is hurry up with the new system for paying, they new tap and go, and change the turnstiles so its harder to hop and do some enforcement. that would do a big help than we wouldnt have so much money lost too fare evaders.

They should also do something about those emergency gates,those gates are an easy way to beat the fare.

They should also do something about those emergency gates,those gates are an easy way to beat the fare.
thats another thing too they need too do something with that because thats an open door of wast. they should use more of the gates that alow only one in and one out

Sorry to disappoint you, but I was raised not to be a savage and to be a responsible member of my community. Ever since I met the height requirement I have been paying my fare to ride the subways or buses. I guess not everyone was raised properly.

I'm sure thats an overstatement but whatever helps you sleep better at night....

Have you seen the kids these days? they just hold the back door of the bus for their 'buddies' and get on the bus because it's faster than to wait on the line for the front of the bus. What the hell is the point of them getting free MCs for? Damn brats are just taking up space on the train/bus on our fare. I say they should pay for their own card given the MTA being deep in the red ink. The MTA just can't afford to keep that program anymore. Student cards should be a DOE issue.

Regarding the kids who hold the back door of the bus for their buddies, I won't disputer that- I see it everyday when I ride the (Q66). The point of giving them student metrocards is to help students go to and from school- be it elementary, middle or high school. Some of the funds comes from the state, but yes, the MTA does pay the bigger share. Some kids do use them for school- I use it to help me get to school from Corona to Downtown Manhattan. The DOE, who should pay at least 1/4 of the cost, I agree. There is abuse in the system, of course, but what can we do? Remember, the cards have a limit of 4 rides (I think), so there is not much else we can do.

I agree. Let dada and mama pay for it. They get enough free sh*t on the taxpayers dime... Free breakfast, free lunch, free education. That's enough right there.

Free lunch and breakfast in schools is covered by the city and federal funds under the SNAP program. Free education, well, isn't it mandated by he states- and no matter what you earn or if you receive welfare, you go to school. Some of the kids do truly use their student MC's to go and from school. The parents in this article are just being idiots. They should pay the fare, along with their kids, because if they do this, then others go along, saying it's alright cause nobody is stopping them. Yet don't use this to turn this into a discussion about student MC's and how we should take them away. Student MC's are not the topic of discussion here.

Free lunch and breakfast in schools is covered by the city and federal funds under the SNAP program. Free education, well, isn't it mandated by he states- and no matter what you earn or if you receive welfare, you go to school. Some of the kids do truly use their student MC's to go and from school. The parents in this article are just being idiots. They should pay the fare, along with their kids, because if they do this, then others go along, saying it's alright cause nobody is stopping them. Yet don't use this to turn this into a discussion about student MC's and how we should take them away. Student MC's are not the topic of discussion here.

Oh, it most certainly is a topic of discussion here because guess what? We had Student Metrocards when I went to school too and guess what? The same sh*t was happening with students abusing the situation. When those 3 rides (at least back then) expired, you're supposed to PAY and what did I see then that I see now? Students fare beating and expecting to get a free ride because they wanted to hang out or whatever. That's all fine and good, but Student Metrocards are for going TO and FROM school and the third ride given, once that is used well then it's time to pay $2.25 like the rest of us. I am sick of this sense of entitlement. No one owes these students anything and when I used my 3 rides, I PAID. I didn't farebeat because I got 3 rides and I'm not entitled to anything more than that. The (MTA) is generous enough to give 3 rides and the more they give, the more the parents and the students want. It's ridiculous. This is a FREE Metrocard, but it costs the (MTA) and taxpayers money. The fare beating that the students, kids and parents do cost me and other taxpayers MORE by way of higher fares, so yeah it certainly is a topic for discussion here. :mad:

Would you like to "help" yourself to additional 4 or 5 extra rides on my dime while you're at it???

The problem is the parents instilling a sense of entitlement into their kids in the first place. If the kids truly knew the cost of their "hanging out", they wouldn't do it as often.

Or better yet they would do it at their own expense and not ours. Even if you're working after school, doesn't make a difference. That has NOTHING to do with school. You want to make your pocket change or whatever great, but you don't steal from others because you want to make a few dollars.

Oh, it most certainly is a topic of discussion here because guess what? We had Student Metrocards when I went to school too and guess what? The same sh*t was happening with students abusing the situation. When those 3 rides (at least back then) expired, you're supposed to PAY and what did see then that I see now? Students fare beating and expecting to get a free ride because they wanted to hang out or whatever. That's all fine and good, but Student Metrocards are for going TO and FROM school and the third ride given, once that is used well then it's time to pay $2.25 like the rest of us. I am sick of this sense of entitlement. No one owes these students anything and when I used my 3 rides, I PAID. I didn't farebeat because I got 3 rides and I'm not entitled to anything more than that. The (MTA) is generous enough to give 3 rides and the more they give, the more the parents and the students want. It's ridiculous. This is a FREE Metrocard, but it costs the (MTA) and taxpayers money. The fare beating that the students, kids and parents do cost me and other taxpayers MORE by way of higher fares, so yeah it certainly is a topic for discussion here. :mad:

Would you like to "help" yourself to additional 4 or 5 extra rides on my dime while you're at it???

Nah, I wouldn't like to help myself to an additional 4 or 5 extra rides. I'm not trying to act entitled so as to receive my three rides- I pay too, when those rides are up. I know that abuse happens in the system- I just have to look at former middle school and my current high school to see the abuse. I'm not, nor am I ever advocating for more rides- that would be totally unnecessary. They should enforce these types of petty crimes, as petty as them be to send a message that mp type of crime will be unforced- kinda like the Broken Windows strategy, in effect. The city and DOE should reimburse the MTA for the Metrocards, yes. But note that even though there may be a majority that abuses it, there are those who don't abuse it, who use to get to and from school.

Nah, I wouldn't like to help myself to an additional 4 or 5 extra rides. I'm not trying to act entitled so as to receive my three rides- I pay too, when those rides are up. I know that abuse happens in the system- I just have to look at former middle school and my current high school to see the abuse. I'm not, nor am I ever advocating for more rides- that would be totally unnecessary. They should enforce these types of petty crimes, as petty as them be to send a message that mp type of crime will be unforced- kinda like the Broken Windows strategy, in effect. The city and DOE should reimburse the MTA for the Metrocards, yes. But note that even though there may be a majority that abuses it, there are those who don't abuse it, who use to get to and from school.

Shifting the bill over to the city and DOE wouldn't solve anything. The taxpayers would still be paying for it. Free education is one thing, but if students really have to travel to schools outside of their zoned areas then the parents should pay for them to get to and from school, not taxpayers.

Shifting the bill over to the city and DOE wouldn't solve anything. The taxpayers would still be paying for it. Free education is one thing, but if students really have to travel to schools outside of their zoned areas then the parents should pay for them to get to and from school, not taxpayers.

Ok. Playing devils adovcate mister closet tea parter what about parents who are poor and have a good & gifted student who is stuck in a neighborhood school filled with crime and drugs?

i think the sense of entitlement people show these days comes from their parents welfare mentallity. they were raised on it and now expect it and refuse to work to better themselves. thats why very few wep workers ever get hired by ta.

Ok. Playing devils adovcate mister closet tea parter what about parents who are poor and have a good & gifted student who is stuck in a neighborhood school filled with crime and drugs?

For every one of those stories, I'll give you 10 stories of parents who are poor and have brats for kids who abuse their student Metrocards and come to school to walk the halls all day. I know because I didn't go to some sheltered little Catholic private high school. I went to Sheepshead Bay High School, so I know first hand of kids coming from poor areas to the better neigborhoods. If they're that gifted then there is money out there for them to recoup via grants, scholarships, etc, believe me. You're not socking me with that old line. B)

Not all poor people are thieving, lying people.

Who said they were??? Please don't try to sit here as if they're all innocent, enthusiastic individuals who don't try to take advantage of the system. I was born and raised in Brooklyn and I've seen a lot of sh*t in my time, so let's be real here and tell the truth.

the number 43% doesn't mean anything to me.... neither does the 57% of fare beaters being adults...

Was this story supposed to be eye-opening? We see how children take advantage (whether they're taught/shown, or just all out blatant with it).... way I see it, this is nothin more than propaganda to support gettin rid of student metrocards.... I wish that would've been blatantly stated, instead of implicating probably what they eventually want to do....

Everything seemingly is costing the MTA millions....

Who said they were??? Please don't try to sit here as if they're all innocent, enthusiastic individuals who don't try to take advantage of the system. I was born and raised in Brooklyn and I've seen a lot of sh*t in my time, so let's be real here and tell the truth.

Problem is that the bad apples ie thug kids mess it up for kids who play by the rules.

This is not an easy answer but imo welfare/social service is of course abused. Anyone in America who needs it and has no one else to go should be able to access it for short term help.

Problem is hundred of thousands of people or more have gotten lazy and abuse it and use their welfare payments paid w/ taxpayer monies for instance buying like booze or even gambling. This again spoils it for those who play it straight.

In that case maybe the social services needs all those on the 'dough' to have receipts on all purchases made during the month. If not they off the program.

They probably cut down on waste.

What could be done is non profit/church groups create scholarships i.e NAACP for poor gifted kids who want to go to gifted high schools pay for it.

And the only people who should be on public assistance for life are those with life long disabilities. That it. That a fairer system.

Too bad our Tea Party supporter Garbaldi may call to end all social program.

Too bad our Tea Party supporter Garbaldi may call to end all social program.

Oh please... I didn't say anything about ending all social programs, but getting rid of Student Metrocards is one I would end. That would cut out the abuse, or what I would do is those students with poor attendance records would be stripped of their Metrocards at least until they showed improvements in their grades and their attendance. These parents need to be held accountable. Everybody wants to blame the schools and the teachers, but what happened to the parents? It's like they're there as witnesses instead of taking charge of the situation like responsible adults.

I did mention something before about cards being based on grades. Like if a kid got a mostly B average, that should be a free ride. IF they got like a C, then they pay half. D and lower then they have to pay the full fare or go to their zoned schools.

How is that NOT fair? It's an incentive to do well in school, and parents will know since they would be sent the bill for the card if the kid doesn't do well. So that will show if the parent or the kid gives a damn about doing well in school to earn the card.

Archived