43% of subway fare-beaters are kids, report finds, costing the MTA millions

Shortline Bus

I hate to jump in on this argument (because I hate getting into other people's business), but I feel compelled to make a statement about this. The point he was trying to make about the whole "sit and socialize and sleep in class when you're supposed to be there studying" thing was that if you send them all to their zoned school, that's what's going to happen.

I don't see your point. It's already happening now and it's getting worse, not better. Talk about "pointless" points...

Take me for example. I live in the Southeast Bronx (along the Pelham line), yet I go to school in Bedford Park (along the Jerome line). If I was not given a MetroCard to attend school, I'd be attending my zoned school. And I guarantee you that it would be a lot harder to "apply myself" at my zoned high school than at Bronx Science. Now for the most part you're right, the Student MetroCard system is abused. But if anything, it should have stricter limitations, not be completely revoked. Many people would actually be risking their education (and in some cases, their wellbeing) by having to resort to their zoned schools.

By the way, if parents were paying for their kids to travel to school, most of them would be taking it just as seriously as they do now. Most of them could care less who's paying it, as long as it's not directly them. So what exactly are you trying to prove with that?

I could go on, but I fear that I've already brought myself into this pointless argument.

Oh, it's not too pointless. There are many people that would have no problem seeing those Metrocards revoked and don't think that you guys are in the clear about keeping them either, as we don't know who will be taking over for Walder yet. While your point is taken, NY State and the city are practically broke, as is the (MTA), so the money is simply not there for the abuse to continue and that's the point. Nothing pointless about that at all or difficult to comprehend.

And as far as students applying themselves so much, the numbers don't lie. We already have plenty of kids going to the so called "better schools" and we have a record number of kids FAILING. The school system is in trouble. We've got too many youngsters out here BSing and not enough taking their studies seriously and drastic changes are needed. Like I said you want to go to Bronx Science, great, but that's not what needs to be addressed. The schools within the zoned areas need to be fixed and until that happens, having kids get free Metrocards to travel all the way to another school where many of them just walk the halls is a complete WASTE of taxpayer dollars. You may not like to hear it, but it's the truth, and I'm not that far removed from high school to know this either. In fact I turned down a teaching position with the DOE to teach Spanish just a few years ago for the simple fact that I knew the system is in trouble.

I hate to jump in on this argument (because I hate getting into other people's business), but I feel compelled to make a statement about this. The point he was trying to make about the whole "sit and socialize and sleep in class when you're supposed to be there studying" thing was that if you send them all to their zoned school, that's what's going to happen.

Take me for example. I live in the Southeast Bronx (along the Pelham line), yet I go to school in Bedford Park (along the Jerome line). If I was not given a MetroCard to attend school, I'd be attending my zoned school. And I guarantee you that it would be a lot harder to "apply myself" at my zoned high school than at Bronx Science. Now for the most part you're right, the Student MetroCard system is abused. But if anything, it should have stricter limitations, not be completely revoked. Many people would actually be risking their education (and in some cases, their wellbeing) by having to resort to their zoned schools.

By the way, if parents were paying for their kids to travel to school, most of them would be taking it just as seriously as they do now. Most of them could care less who's paying it, as long as it's not directly them. So what exactly are you trying to prove with that?

I could go on, but I fear that I've already brought myself into this pointless argument.

That wasn't really my argument for keeping Student MetroCards: That was more my argument for letting kids skip classes and use the savings towards funding the Student MetroCard program.

Like I said, I was able to do my chemistry homework, understand the material (enough that I got a 98 on the Regents and 100 on most of the tests given. In fact my average in the class was 100), and use the class time to sleep, socialize, and do homework for my other classes. I would've preferred using that time to take another class and earn more credits, but the stupid school system doesn't let me.

As far as students doing it because the zoned school isn't good enough, that's another valid reason, but it probably relates to my argument (I'm sure those technical schools place at least a little more focus on AP-type classes rather than just basic high school classes)

Oh, it's not too pointless. There are many people that would have no problem seeing those Metrocards revoked and don't think that you guys are in the clear about keeping them either, as we don't know who will be taking over for Walder yet. While your point is taken, NY State and the city are practically broke, as is the (MTA), so the money is simply not there for the abuse to continue and that's the point. Nothing pointless about that at all or difficult to comprehend.

And as far as students applying themselves so much, the numbers don't lie. We already have plenty of kids going to the so called "better schools" and we have a record number of kids FAILING. The school system is in trouble. We've got too many youngsters out here BSing and not enough taking their studies seriously and drastic changes are needed. Like I said you want to go to Bronx Science, great, but that's not what needs to be addressed. The schools within the zoned areas need to be fixed and until that happens, having kids get free Metrocards to travel all the way to another school where many of them just walk the halls is a complete WASTE of taxpayer dollars. You may not like to hear it, but it's the truth, and I'm not that far removed from high school to know this either. In fact I turned down a teaching position with the DOE to teach Spanish just a few years ago for the simple fact that I knew the system is in trouble.

To be fair, Walder was a person who was more focused on reducing the budget, so if he really wanted to, I'm sure he could've eliminated the Student MetroCard program (the city and state didn't give the MTA any more money this year compared to last year)

As the saying goes, you can't throw the baby out with the bathwater: In any system, there will be people who abuse it (I don't really see the point in going to a better school to walk the halls when you can do that in your zoned school), but there are plenty of people who were able to use the Student MetroCard program to attend a better school where they learned more.

By the way, that teaching position wouldn't happen to be at Port Richmond HS, would it? :P

To be fair, Walder was a person who was more focused on reducing the budget, so if he really wanted to, I'm sure he could've eliminated the Student MetroCard program (the city and state didn't give the MTA any more money this year compared to last year)

As the saying goes, you can't throw the baby out with the bathwater: In any system, there will be people who abuse it (I don't really see the point in going to a better school to walk the halls when you can do that in your zoned school), but there are plenty of people who were able to use the Student MetroCard program to attend a better school where they learned more.

By the way, that teaching position wouldn't happen to be at Port Richmond HS, would it? :P

Those cards were on the chopping block until students went crazy to keep them and I find it ironic that they're doing the most farebeating. I don't see what it does for them but teach them that beating the system is okay and they turn into adults that do the same thing and their kids see them and follow them and thus the cycle continues and most importantly worsens.

As for the zoned school comment I agree, but I used to see it a lot when I was high school and it clearly hasn't changed very much, not with students doing so poorly overall.

The Spanish teaching position I was offered would've been in one of the neediest areas, which would've been anything but Staten Island, yet another reason I didn't bother. There was no way I was going to travel to Upper Manhattan, the Bronx or Queens everyday from Staten Island. :eek: Brooklyn was a possibility but only select areas.

Those cards were on the chopping block until students went crazy to keep them and I find it ironic that they're doing the most farebeating. I don't see what it does for them but teach them that beating the system is okay and they turn into adults that do the same thing and their kids see them and follow them and thus the cycle continues and most importantly worsens.

As for the zoned school comment I agree, but I used to see it a lot when I was high school and it clearly hasn't changed very much, not with students doing so poorly overall.

The Spanish teaching position I was offered would've been in one of the neediest areas, which would've been anything but Staten Island, yet another reason I didn't bother. There was no way I was going to travel to Upper Manhattan, the Bronx or Queens everyday from Staten Island. :eek: Brooklyn was a possibility but only select areas.

But generally you don't see many adult riders farebeating, and the Student MetroCard program has been around for a while now, so I don't think it's going to result in a bunch of future farebeaters.

As far as abusing the Student MetroCards goes, I think people are hyping it up. When I ride the bus outside of school hours, I see an occasional student getting on with a Student MetroCard (and even then, there is the chance that they're going to a school-related activity), but overall that number is small.

Out of curiosity, what would've been the salary difference compared to what you make now? Would it have paid to relocate (based on where your school was) to get to the job (say, if the school was in the South Bronx, you could live in Morris Park or something like that)

But generally you don't see many adult riders farebeating, and the Student MetroCard program has been around for a while now, so I don't think it's going to result in a bunch of future farebeaters.

As far as abusing the Student MetroCards goes, I think people are hyping it up. When I ride the bus outside of school hours, I see an occasional student getting on with a Student MetroCard (and even then, there is the chance that they're going to a school-related activity), but overall that number is small.

Out of curiosity, what would've been the salary difference compared to what you make now? Would it have paid to relocate (based on where your school was) to get to the job (say, if the school was in the South Bronx, you could live in Morris Park or something like that)

Well at the time (this was about 4 years ago), I think they started out at $43k or so maybe a bit more since I would've taught Spanish. That wouldn't have been a big deal since I was 25 years old at the time and could earn extra money either teaching privately on the side or whatever so I could've earned an additional 10 - 15k on the side to even things out. I think after a few years you can get bumped up to about 60k a year (not including any side work), but I forget when and all of the particulars.

I don't regret not taking the job. Where I work now is quite convenient being dead smack on 5th Avenue and I get to work alone in terms of running my projects, although I work with folks all over the world of course in terms the translators and interpreters, but I have the final say on price negotiations with my clients, what I pay to the translators and so on, so it's a good gig. However, I don't have as much time off as I would like, so what I'm thinking to do is go into something where I can still apply my language skills and thus work as I please in a few years once I can buy an apt and get settled; something along the lines of a consultant, this way I set my own hours and such.

This will require me to get my master's BUT, I would have plenty of work as a multilingual speech pathologist. I'm sure I can earn 70k easily to start and if I really work hard, 100k a year or more is not out of the question since there is a shortage in the field, esp. w/regards to males and more so with multilingual males. :cool: It's not a field that everyone cares for as there is linguistics involved along with science, but I'm down for anything where I can use my language skills, plus I could still teach on the side if I chose to for the hell of it, which I currently don't do.

cool.:tup: More people in America should be able to speak multi languages.

Well at the time (this was about 4 years ago), I think they started out at $43k or so maybe a bit more since I would've taught Spanish. That wouldn't have been a big deal since I was 25 years old at the time and could earn extra money either teaching privately on the side or whatever so I could've earned an additional 10 - 15k on the side to even things out. I think after a few years you can get bumped up to about 60k a year (not including any side work), but I forget when and all of the particulars.

I don't regret not taking the job. Where I work now is quite convenient being dead smack on 5th Avenue and I get to work alone in terms of running my projects, although I work with folks all over the world of course in terms the translators and interpreters, but I have the final say on price negotiations with my clients, what I pay to the translators and so on, so it's a good gig. However, I don't have as much time off as I would like, so what I'm thinking to do is go into something where I can still apply my language skills and thus work as I please in a few years once I can buy an apt and get settled; something along the lines of a consultant, this way I set my own hours and such.

This will require me to get my master's BUT, I would have plenty of work as a multilingual speech pathologist. I'm sure I can earn 70k easily to start and if I really work hard, 100k a year or more is not out of the question since there is a shortage in the field, esp. w/regards to males and more so with multilingual males. :cool: It's not a field that everyone cares for as there is linguistics involved along with science, but I'm down for anything where I can use my language skills, plus I could still teach on the side if I chose to for the hell of it, which I currently don't do.

cool.:tup: More people in America should be able to speak multi languages.

Out of curiosity, as a HS teacher, what do you think of my plan to allow kids to bypass classes if they know the material?

They have it on a limited basis (I bypassed Algebra I by taking the Regents, and Italian I/II by taking a proficiency exam), and I haven't fallen behind in those classes (if anything, I'm still one of the smartest students in the class). It would've helped me get out of chemistry last year, where I just hung out because I already understood the material (which wasted taxpayer dollars)

The money saved could then be used to fund the Student MetroCard program.

This is a thread about 8- and 9-year-olds farebeating, not high school kids. Student metrocards is an off-topic issue here...

They go to their zoned schools, period. Being bussed to other schools is not a necessity but a privilege.

I think we can agree here that the education system here in NYC needs serious work. That seems to be the underlying issue to this debate. This applies to me too. I go to Hunter, which is on the UES, but I live in Jackson Heights. My two nearest zoned schools are Bryant HS and Newtown HS, conveniently both of which are about 30 minutes away if I walk. I would need a student Metrocard anyway if I had gone to either HS (like my sister did), as those are the two nearest high schools to my house. And I'd apply myself much more effectively at Hunter than I would if I had gone to either one of these schools. I would have no problem going to a zoned school (shorter commute, more sleep = win-win for everybody, right?) but the fact of the matter is that not every high school provides the best learning environment for students. I'm fortunate to live "near" two decent high schools but I would not be saying the same thing if I lived near all these high schools that were months away from being closed down by the city. I do agree that zoned high schools should be the priority but I know many high school students who go to different high schools because the one nearby is just plain shitty (ex - all these Flushing kids who go to LIC, etc.)

This is a thread about 8- and 9-year-olds farebeating, not high school kids. Student metrocards is an off-topic issue here...

It's fair to include them too because they're also big farebeaters as well. The report may say one thing, but I know what I see with my eyes.

Archived