Bus shortage affecting service!

East New York

Okay, so the problem is more severe than I first thought. I knew the MTA was short on buses, and I posted about it before, but all the information coming in now tells a different tale. I first started to wonder about the severity of the shortage when Baisley Park sent it's artics back to NYCT.

Now 8401-8565 are being scattered, and transfer to Yukon is delayed. The Bronx Division as a whole is short more than 50 buses. West farms has taken some ex-MTA Bus Orion V's. According to a B/O I frequently correspond with from TransitStuff, Gun Hill is waiting for MTA Bus Orion VII hybrids 3770-3783. We also know that Staten Island is still waiting for the Orion VI hybrids. MTA Bus is returning several 1100, and 9700 series RTS's to service as more 8000 series buses prepare to go back to NYCT. If we don't take delivery of some Orion VII's and artics soon, there's going to be a big problem. Yukon had to run 3 RTS's on express routes yesterday!

I thougt that the 3500 series were leaving BP, I like the 3700 series, That Explains why they don't have the Depot logo on those hybirds.

Okay, so the problem is more severe than I first thought. I knew the MTA was short on buses, and I posted about it before, but all the information coming in now tells a different tale. I first started to wonder about the severity of the shortage when Baisley Park sent it's artics back to NYCT.

Now 8401-8565 are being scattered, and transfer to Yukon is delayed. The Bronx Division as a whole is short more than 50 buses. West farms has taken some ex-MTA Bus Orion V's. According to a B/O I frequently correspond with from TransitStuff, Gun Hill is waiting for MTA Bus Orion VII hybrids 3770-3783. We also know that Staten Island is still waiting for the Orion VI hybrids. MTA Bus is returning several 1100, and 9700 series RTS's to service as more 8000 series buses prepare to go back to NYCT. If we don't take delivery of some Orion VII's and artics soon, there's going to be a big problem. Yukon had to run 3 RTS's on express routes yesterday!

Actually in the Brooklyn Division, there's no shuffling of 84xx @ Flatbush, but there's bus movements between Ulmer Park, Grand Avenue, and Fresh Pond. 85xx buses for 87xx buses. Currently UP has 8518-8528,8530-8531,8535-8536, and GA has 8776-8789, FP has 8559-8560 according to Transitstuff, and expect more movement on that end more between UP and GA, and less on FP.

When are these new MCI express buses being delivered and will UP get a piece of the 126 bus order ??????

MTA Bus #107 is now in West Farms Depot in between two VII CNGs.

Also MTA NYCB #923 was on Tremont Avenue with some people inside that wasn't wearing MTA uniform... Could it have been on the Bx40? Couldn't see it because it passed me as I came out of the store and all I saw was the left side and the rear of the C40LF.

Actually in the Brooklyn Division, there's no shuffling of 84xx @ Flatbush, but there's bus movements between Ulmer Park, Grand Avenue, and Fresh Pond. 85xx buses for 87xx buses. Currently UP has 8518-8528,8530-8531,8535-8536, and GA has 8776-8789, FP has 8559-8560 according to Transitstuff, and expect more movement on that end more between UP and GA, and less on FP.

When are these new MCI express buses being delivered and will UP get a piece of the 126 bus order ??????

The MCI's are supposed to be here by now, and Yukon is first on the list, and others should be going to Casleton, Ulmer Park, and Casey Stengel.

EDIT: 4330 is now supposed to arrive at Zerega on June 16th.

I have gotten very weak Orion Vs (400series) lately. Buses sluggishly accelerate, and takes a while to change gears.

Ever drive 475? That bus has a funny transmission, it seems like it takes extra long to get into 2nd gear, then can only get up to 2nd lockup but never 3rd or 4th. That's a bad bus. No buses seem to ever get up to 4th, unless they're going on a long empty stretch like down Bailey from 233 to 238, so it seems like they're ok if they can make it to 3rd. But 475 has a tranny that turns over a gear later than the others. Sounds real strange.

Yukon running RTS's on Express Routes?!!:eek: Wow, now thats a picture to frame! I haven't seen that in years!!! Last time Ive seen that happen was probably back in early to mid 2002. I rode an X1 ( thats a Yukon Route) that had a Castleton Put -In, RTS 3883, with the double sided Cushion seats.. That was crazy...I was looking for an MCI in Midtown and an RTS pulls up!;)

Ever drive 475? That bus has a funny transmission, it seems like it takes extra long to get into 2nd gear, then can only get up to 2nd lockup but never 3rd or 4th. That's a bad bus. No buses seem to ever get up to 4th, unless they're going on a long empty stretch like down Bailey from 233 to 238, so it seems like they're ok if they can make it to 3rd. But 475 has a tranny that turns over a gear later than the others. Sounds real strange.
Have you ever drove 402, 428, or 431? They seem stand out when it comes to picking up speed.

DOB2RTO: I know what you mean with the VII CNGs. 7756 never could even hit 5th gear (26-30MPH) without going downhill because the engine is basically dead. The driver even tried to cut off the AC and floor it to try and go faster, little change if anything. The engine ticks and squeaks, before it used to just whine.

Also 416 and 444 are very fast 400 series, but suffer from turbo lag.

483 and 494 are two that can't top 15 mph and 671 is another odd bus. Sometimes it can fly and other days it crawls, plus the screeching fanbelts sound cool. #923 may have been training from Zerega.

LGA might be losing O7's to NYCTA as well because there supposed to get more repowers. Most likely the O7's are headed to the KB or GH if it happens.

the bus shortage has been around for a very long time. Buses are breaking down so frequently maintenance cant keep up. I remember at KB and at WestFarms if you pulled out after a certain time they would actually run out of buses to give you. Every morning this would happen. You would think they would try to be a little proactive to counter the inevitable. Therefore they's send maintenance shifter in to try and get a bus that had mechanical things wrong with it, but that would be passible for a short service and have it pulled in after 3 or 4 hours just to fill in for the heavy rush hour madness. Whenever I got one of these buses I checked it out FULLY. One day they give me a bus with no destination signs on top or on the side or in the rear. I was working a route where six other lines drive along. There was no way I was taking this bus out like that. The dispatcher tells me to write out a sign and tapeit onto the front where the sign would go!!! Yeah when your mother does it first. I refused and he has the gull to go to my union rep (who was also waiting for a bus) and tell on me!!! What an ass. She agreed with me and he told me he MIGHT write me up. I said Oh yeah wheres the big boss cause I need to talk to him right now. Unfortunately the boss who usually watches the morning pull outs was not immediately there which saved this bozo's ass. He changed his tune real fast and gave me a decent bus after that, I had no more problems with him ever again. Arrrrgh, why do we even have to go there is what I ask!!!! Forgive me if I rant and rave...

the bus shortage has been around for a very long time. Buses are breaking down so frequently maintenance cant keep up. I remember at KB and at WestFarms if you pulled out after a certain time they would actually run out of buses to give you. Every morning this would happen. You would think they would try to be a little proactive to counter the inevitable. Therefore they's send maintenance shifter in to try and get a bus that had mechanical things wrong with it, but that would be passible for a short service and have it pulled in after 3 or 4 hours just to fill in for the heavy rush hour madness. Whenever I got one of these buses I checked it out FULLY. One day they give me a bus with no destination signs on top or on the side or in the rear. I was working a route where six other lines drive along. There was no way I was taking this bus out like that. The dispatcher tells me to write out a sign and tapeit onto the front where the sign would go!!! Yeah when your mother does it first. I refused and he has the gull to go to my union rep (who was also waiting for a bus) and tell on me!!! What an ass. She agreed with me and he told me he MIGHT write me up. I said Oh yeah wheres the big boss cause I need to talk to him right now. Unfortunately the boss who usually watches the morning pull outs was not immediately there which saved this bozo's ass. He changed his tune real fast and gave me a decent bus after that, I had no more problems with him ever again. Arrrrgh, why do we even have to go there is what I ask!!!! Forgive me if I rant and rave...

Well first of all Welcome to NYC Transit Forums! I hope you enjoy your time here!

Yeah, I know there has been a shortage for quite a while, but it was never this serious. LOL at you making them give you another bus. No you're not ranting and raving! Do you still drive for MTA?

Yeah you're right

*the other day when i was waiting for a B11 it took me an half an hour for one bus

*they really need to overhaul the engines on Orion V Series

*they should really take out some buses that are sitting there ass at storage

*why can't the MTA just buy some damn buses from New Flyer

*there is no effect on Ulmer. i mean they assigned the suburbans on express (X29) once in a while and less used lines at Ulmer. but waiting for a B6 normally is 2-5 minutes

Question: Where is the Orion VII NG gonna be assigned

The mta is taking buses otta storage. They took some RTSs out of storage and put them back into service. And they also took the orion VI out of storage and is getting rebuilt. But i don't know how long it takes to rebuild a bus.

And the MTA can't just buy buses without testing them first. There is a bus from NF testing out there to see if it can hold up on NYC streets.

Forgive me if I rant and rave...

No you're not ranting and raving! Do you still drive for MTA?

I can't forgive you, cause I do it also. You back up my ranting and the reason why I do it. Some fail to understand starting the job seems all great, but when a year goes by, then two, things change. You see the who you truly work for. But then again you and I worked for OA, and we both know the Bronx is a b!tch to work. Bx41........the driver assault line.......

As for the buses, it gets so bad at KB (I stated this before), that when some of the M100 come around with 40ft buses, the yard dispatcher would take the drivers off (with customers) and put us in an artic that just finished a school tripper......Happened twice to me already........

I can't forgive you, cause I do it also. You back up my ranting and the reason why I do it. Some fail to understand starting the job seems all great, but when a year goes by, then two, things change. You see the who you truly work for. But then again you and I worked for OA, and we both know the Bronx is a b!tch to work. Bx41........the driver assault line.......

As for the buses, it gets so bad at KB (I stated this before), that when some of the M100 come around with 40ft buses, the yard dispatcher would take the drivers off (with customers) and put us in an artic that just finished a school tripper......Happened twice to me already........

I'm just now really starting to realize how bad it is in the Bronx. I underestimated ya'll a little bit because I'm not used to seeing anything like this in Brooklyn and Manhattan

If you work a Riverdale route it's not as bad. The worst you can get on a Riverdale route are wheelchairs and geriatrics who take a minute to get on or off.

If you work a Riverdale route it's not as bad. The worst you can get on a Riverdale route are wheelchairs and geriatrics who take a minute to get on or off.

You just described the M100 line. One lady took so long to get off, the light was red, changed green, then red again. I am eying the Bx7. The Bx10, is another geriatric line......

That's funny. I didn't think the M100 was that notorious for geriatrics, just that it went through rough neighborhoods. At least on Riverdale routes you get geriatrics but not as much chaos. The Bx10 is fast and is almost always on time, but the Bx7 and Bx20 are frustrating when you have a lot of traffic and a dispatcher doesn't give you a short sign (which translates into overtime I think). Especially when there's Broadway Bridge construction.

I think you'd be better off on the 10. The 7 is a geriatric route just like the 10, but the 10's shorter and doesn't get delayed by construction. Work the 7 and unless you get a short sign or something when you're running late, you better be prepared to get screwed over on layover time. The 10 stops at Montefiore, but it's not likely for the same run to get a chair every day or horribly long dwell times over there.

4 people were ran over on the Bx10, during 2006. We call that a knock down. Yes they died too... This was when I started the job. The Bx10 does not leave enough running time. MTA timetable on that line, is to get the most trips they can, not give one a real schedule. I worked every line in KB, and only the Grand Concourse gives us proper running time. If it is raining, then the M100 is sweet. The Bx41 at times, give you proper running time also. The Bx7 needs better running time. Being late in the DOB, is something I stopped stressing over. You late, be later is the way it works here. Tell them you want your full lunch too. I've done it on the M100, and deadheaded all the way from KBG, to 126/2nd Ave. Killed one trip. The bx13 is also sweet, as you hardly get anyone at night, and during the day, you pickup at River Ave, and just drop off.....

Just a little secrect to the M100 guys. Work it really early in the morning with limited trips and get to kb for your relief no later than 3 and you will find one of the sweetest lines around. after 3 all hell breaks loose. The goblins and witches come out to play, and all your lunatics wanna say hello. After 7 it quiets down, unless of course, it's Apollo night or near the holidays.

Just a little secrect to the M100 guys. Work it really early in the morning with limited trips and get to kb for your relief no later than 3 and you will find one of the sweetest lines around. after 3 all hell breaks loose. The goblins and witches come out to play, and all your lunatics wanna say hello. After 7 it quiets down, unless of course, it's Apollo night or near the holidays.

It has been Apollo night, and getting across 125st from 8th to 7th and vice-versa, can be a pain. This is just because of the nosey drivers who want to creep to see what is going on there. Our biggest gripe is with the M101. I think the M100 has 40ft buses for a reason. It is to not be a M101 leader, but to pick up the slack. I really hope that this fall or winter pick, they stop the M100 from going across 125st, and send it to 246st Riverdale..........I'm going to ask a union rep tomorrow about this rumor. A driver told me one of the reps told them this. If this happens the M100 will become a more senior line, like the Bx7. Of course the Bx13, Bx18, Bx20, and Bx10 are those.

It has been Apollo night, and getting across 125st from 8th to 7th and vice-versa, can be a pain. This is just because of the nosey drivers who want to creep to see what is going on there. Our biggest gripe is with the M101. I think the M100 has 40ft buses for a reason. It is to not be a M101 leader, but to pick up the slack. I really hope that this fall or winter pick, they stop the M100 from going across 125st, and send it to 246st Riverdale..........I'm going to ask a union rep tomorrow about this rumor. A driver told me one of the reps told them this. If this happens the M100 will become a more senior line, like the Bx7. Of course the Bx13, Bx18, Bx20, and Bx10 are those.

I wouldn't expect the Bx10 to be a senior line, it's hectic at times. I would expect the Bx32 and 55 to be senior lines go figure. Are there any other rumors about KB floating around?

I wouldn't expect the Bx10 to be a senior line, it's hectic at times. I would expect the Bx32 and 55 to be senior lines go figure. Are there any other rumors about KB floating around?

Nope (like new buses???). Just this. The Bx10 is a senior line, with the Bx32 back, some senior guys went to it, and love it. They get alot of wheelchairs, but the guys on that line, told me they work together over there. Besides at night it is dead over there. Last you never worry about a relief over there. P/O and P/I.

Bx41........the driver assault line.......

The Bx41 definitely has to be the worst line, in terms of misbehaving passengers. I almost ended up in a physical confrontation on the bus one day last year with a bunch of hoodrats that got on from Webster Houses.

Archived