Unlimited MetroCard question

Amtrak7

I bought a 30-day card a week ago and used it for the first time yesterday. The expiration date apparently is 30 days from purchase, not first use. Anyone else have this problem? What should I do now? I don't want to mail it in, as that means I have to buy another one.

You maybe confused, but basically the first day that you use the card counts as one day already, so that means for example, in my case, I buy 7 day Unlimited Express Bus Plus card. I started a new one today, which counts as one day and the card will expire after next Wednesday. It works the same way with the 30 day card. There is usually a small window of expiration (maybe an hour or two tops) given after the card expires as well.

You maybe confused, but basically the first day that you use the card counts as one day already, so that means for example, in my case, I buy 7 day Unlimited Express Bus Plus card. I started a new one today, which counts as one day and the card will expire after next Wednesday. It works the same way with the 30 day card. There is usually a small window of expiration (maybe an hour or two tops) given after the card expires as well.

I understand that the first use is day 1. But I don't want to mail it to the MTA as that means buying another one to use while the MTA has it. And I won't need an unlimited after the end of next month.

And why don't the card readers work for me? I have to swipe multiple times at various speeds and depths for the card to read, at the turnstile once is usually enough.

I understand that the first use is day 1. But I don't want to mail it to the MTA as that means buying another one to use while the MTA has it. And I won't need an unlimited after the end of next month.

And why don't the card readers work for me? I have to swipe multiple times at various speeds and depths for the card to read, at the turnstile once is usually enough.

That's odd. Probably the card malfunctioned, or was already no good, or it came into contact with a dirty machine that messed it up. It happened to me a few years back where the first time I used the card it got f*cked up. I was so pissed too... $45.00 and I had bought two Unlimited Express Bus Plus cards, so I used the back up and had to send that one in, thus costing me $135.00 until I got the replacement some time later. :mad: I've had one other incident since then and I've gotten wise. Unless you bought the card with cash or at a token booth, if you used a credit card and got a receipt, you can report the card as lost or stolen and get the funds put back on your card in a few days. You would of course have to buy another card and you would lose one day on the card as well, but that's an option. What I would do is if say for example you've done all of the traveling that you're going to do, I would call them now and say that you lost it, this way the lost day would be today, and then buy a new one and just wait for the money to be refunded to you in about 4 days or so. I got my refund back in 2 business days, but they'll tell you longer just incase.

Now I think I may have misread the date, since the subway turnstile doesn't show it and it blinks by so fast on the bus. I was never able to get the reader to read it. Will try at different station.

Archived