Rev Al Sharpton to host his own MSNBC talk show says report

Shortline Bus

Sharpton Appears to Win Anchor Spot on MSNBC

By BRIAN STELTER NY Times

July 20, 2011

"After giving a nearly six-month tryout for the Internet talk show host Cenk Uygur, the cable news channel MSNBC is preparing to instead hand its 6 p.m. time slot to the Rev. Al Sharpton.

Mr. Uygur said MSNBC's management decided that they did not care for his aggressive style.

Mr. Sharpton’s imminent hiring, which was acknowledged by three people at the channel on condition of anonymity because the contract had not been signed, is significant in part because MSNBC and other news channels have been criticized for a paucity of minority hosts in prominent time slots. Mr. Sharpton, who is black and is a well-known civil rights activist and radio host, has been guest hosting in the 6 p.m. time slot for the last three weeks.

There had been uncertainty about the 6 p.m. slot ever since the channel’s marquee anchor, Keith Olbermann, departed in January, prompting Ed Schultz to be moved to 10 p.m. from 6. Suddenly Mr. Uygur, who had been made a paid contributor to MSNBC months earlier, was handed 6 p.m., a big coup given that he had earlier campaigned to have his progressive Web show “The Young Turks” picked up by MSNBC.

He earned solid but not stand-out ratings; in late June the channel’s president, Phil Griffin, decided to try out Mr. Sharpton, and offered Mr. Uygur a new contract that included a weekend show, but not a higher-profile weekday show.

Mr. Uygur, who by most accounts was well liked within MSNBC, said in an interview that he turned down the new contract because he felt Mr. Griffin had been the recipient of political pressure. In April, he said, Mr. Griffin “called me into his office and said that he’d been talking to people in Washington, and that they did not like my tone.” He said he guessed Mr. Griffin was referring to White House officials, though he had no evidence for the assertion. He also said that Mr. Griffin said the channel was part of the “establishment,” and “that you need to act like it.”

MSNBC is home to many hosts who criticize President Obama and other Democrats from a progressive point of view, but at times Mr. Uygur could be especially harsh."

For rest of article here link http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/21/business/media/sharpton-close-to-being-msnbc-anchor.html?_r=1&src=ISMR_HP_LO_MST_FB

From a media view, I understand why they hire Sharpton as he is a highly controversial but yet well know personality. While I admit i am not a fan of him, if MSNBC wanted to hire a Black or Latino host and become more 'diverse', from the mostly White Males hosts they or Fox News have, there were many others who are not as controversial as "Rev. Al."

So guys will you watch?:eek:

Not trying to sound racist but if Rev Al wants to get good ratings he better cut back dramtically on the played out 'blame the white man' commentary he often uses on his radio show.

It may work for a mainly Black radio audience but it's wont fly to middle america on a national cable tv newstalk station.

Not trying to sound racist but if Rev Al wants to get good ratings he better cut back dramtically on the 'blame the white man' commentary he uses on his radio show.

It may work for a mainly Black radio audience but it's wont fly to middle america on a national cable tv newstalk station.

LOL... I'm sure he would argue that the black man is still under seige and that whitey is out to get everybody. LMAO

LOL... I'm sure he would argue that the black man is still under seige and that whitey is out to get everybody. LMAO

I am sure the Comcast bossses at MSNBC is looking for Rev. Al to be a spoof of this infamous former talk show host Garibaldi lol. Here classic Chris Rock in his SNL days as Black Nationalist "Nat X" circa 1991/'92 in the Nat X show. Kiddies if you never seen this skit this is Chris Rock at his best w/ guests Gen. Colin Powell and Vanilla Ice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7JuXRWiWE8

Now it is officially a full circle: sharpton forced out Imus by totally overblowing a lame and really mean spirited and stupid "joke" about a girls team. Thus lead to Imus getting fired by wfan and being dropped by msnbc. Imus getting hired by wabc forces out a good duo in curtis and kuby.

And finally now sharpton getting this job will seal the deal. I hope sharpton burns in hell.-figuratively speaking

you didn't know...

I'm still waitin on the beam that's supposed to take my kind back to the motherland to live prosperous ever after.... where scotty a** at, btw !!?!??!

Not trying to sound racist but if Rev Al wants to get good ratings he better cut back dramtically on the played out 'blame the white man' commentary he often uses on his radio show.

You have no idea how many black americans despise this guy... all of us aint on that "blame the white man, f*** the white man, black man's always the victim, black power - we gots to riiiise up, ole hotep ole BS"... This fool (and others like him) have done more to damage the image of we as a people than he's EVER done to try to repair it...

A mainly black radio audience? Just what are you tryin to imply there..... A plethora of blacks will not sit there & tune into some radio show featuring Sharpton, no more than middle class white america (which is really what you mean when you say that) would....

There's a HUGE difference b/w being pro-black, and being bigoted (at the very least).... Remember that show that used to come on Channel 7 on sunday mornings called "like it is" (don't know if it still does).... Now compare the content of that, to the vile & utter garbage that Sharpton spews - especially if it were to go completely unmoderated.....

He better cut back on his shtick... hah, yah right...

How many barnum & bailey circus events you heard of, where there wadn't any animals ???

I mean Sharpton show heard in NYC area on 98.7 Kiss FM and sydincated to dozens of stations around the country was designed by his producers (not my words using the media biz words (B35))to mostly the 'Black' audience.

I know others listen to him and I admit i only listen to him Sunday Night waiting for the 10pm show "Soul Beginnings' R&B oldies show until recently when i got rid of my car in May.

FYI. (B35) you mean Ch.7(ABC in NYC area) "Like it is" with host and former ABC anchor Gil Noble right? Man that show has been for almost 40 years.

Noble is an old man now and they mostly show 'reruns' with updates of his show. It comes usually at 12 Noon Sundays or 11am if sports is starting at 11noon.

"Like it is' and an old show on Ch.5 in their Pre-Fox days "The Black Report" in the '70's/early '80's was good shows that was 'pro-black' without the anti-white crap Sharpton promotes. So I agree with most of your comments Bro (B35).

MSNBC is so hungry for ratings i am sure soon Lady Gaga will be next to get her own talk show.

you didn't know...

I'm still waitin on the beam that's supposed to take my kind back to the motherland to live prosperous ever after.... where scotty a** at, btw !!?!??!

You have no idea how many black americans despise this guy... all of us aint on that "blame the white man, f*** the white man, black man's always the victim, black power - we gots to riiiise up, ole hotep ole BS"... This fool (and others like him) have done more to damage the image of we as a people than he's EVER done to try to repair it...

A mainly black radio audience? Just what are you tryin to imply there..... A plethora of blacks will not sit there & tune into some radio show featuring Sharpton, no more than middle class white america (which is really what you mean when you say that) would....

There's a HUGE difference b/w being pro-black, and being bigoted (at the very least).... Remember that show that used to come on Channel 7 on sunday mornings called "like it is" (don't know if it still does).... Now compare the content of that, to the vile & utter garbage that Sharpton spews - especially if it were to go completely unmoderated.....

He better cut back on his shtick... hah, yah right...

How many barnum & bailey circus events you heard of, where there wadn't any animals ???

I keep my TV locked on MSNBC, but sure as hell won't be watching his show. I'm sure I will check out the first episode though just so I can see what he will be ranting about.

And contrary to popular belief MSNBC holds solid prime-time ratings. I never miss Rachel, Chris, Ed, or Lawrence. And if I do, DVR has my back.

Oh god no. Last thing the Rev. Al needs is somewhere else to stuff his face, but that's tv...

True my friend. The whole TV News and entire entertainment biz has gone the toliet. While even in the good ole days of Brinkley, Cronkite, etc money and profits was also 'king' at least clowns like Rev. Al would never get even a show at 3am in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like fireworks i.e Think Nat X of Saturday Night Live fame and Morton Downey Jr Show from the '80's has already begun on Rev Al's new show on MSNBC. Man looks like Comcast is ready to wage a cable newstalk battle vs. Fox news. Pat Buchanan is in 'hot water' for his 'boy' comments on Shaprton's show.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2011/08/03/2011-08-03_pat_buchanan_downplays_controversy_after_calling_president_obama_your_boy_to_rev.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSr_A6IOsHc

yet another talking head that needs to shut up and go somewhere far far away with no technology.

now i know why they used to exile people to siberia back in the middle ages.

put him hannity limbaugh olbermann and beck out there and leave them there...

What really baffles me, is that Al is from Brooklyn and Pat is from Washington, but somehow both of them had a Southern accent by the end of the "debate."

Techically DC is a 'southern city.' Actually it's a a border region on the mason-dixon that starts from the nearby Maryland-Del. border from so called boundary lines) from the civil war days.

Still Washington is not a hardcore 'dixie' town like Jackson, Miss. or even New Orleans.

Still i did not know these '2' cats LOL lived in Alabama or something at any time lol.

Just IMO an overblown an useless comment in which a cable newstalk show trying to get ratings via an overblown controversy on so called news story with the 'boy' comment.

What Imus said a few years back on the Rutgers Woman's Hoops team was far worse IMO.

Techically DC is a 'southern city.' Actually it's a a border region on the mason-dixon that starts from the nearby Maryland-Del. border from so called boundary lines) from the civil war days.

Still Washington is not a hardcore 'dixie' town like Jackson, Miss. or even New Orleans.

Still i did not know these '2' cats LOL lived in Alabama or something at any time lol.

Just IMO an overblown an useless comment in which a cable newstalk show trying to get ratings via an overblown controversy on so called news story with the 'boy' comment.

What Imus said a few years back on the Rutgers Woman's Hoops team was far worse IMO.

The Dixie has drifted south over the years and now is located south of Northern Virginia from a cultural / generational point of view. DC is also in the Northeastern Megapolis.

End of that video above... 5min or so, something like "Your boy, Obama" etc. etc. Buchanan is a general idiot, and the last thing Sharpton needs is a TV show...

Oh ok thanks. I didn't see anything wrong with the comment either. Sure he meant nothing about it. I love when give his take on politics. Very entertaining!

Oh ok thanks. I didn't see anything wrong with the comment either. Sure he meant nothing about it. I love when give his take on politics. Very entertaining!

I am not a fan of his either or agree with much of his views. However Buchanan is not a 'phony' and what he says he means it, no 'bs' from him. Even if comments/analysis often get his liberal rivals screaming mad.

This was another example of Rev. Al and some in the media IMO 'overblowing' what was really a non-story on the 'boy' tone. Sharpton at times needs to lighten up even to those political rivals like Buchanan, he might dislike personally.

Since he became President, Rev. Al who at one point indirectly called Obama an 'uncle tom' for pandering to White Voters in the '08 election, has become being kind an "Obama lover.'

Archived