Manhattan Bridge Service Changes... 10th Anniversary!

Picture it, June 2001. Posters lined Subway Cars with bold letters stating:

Get Ready For Major Service Changes

We also witnessed a new letter added to our Subway Alphabet, the (W).

Today, July 21, 2011, marks the 10th anniversary of the last time, the B & D trains operated over their historic Brooklyn Routes.

Recap of Subway Operations for this major change..

W replaced the (B) in Brooklyn

(Q) replaced the (D) in Brooklyn

<Q> replaced the (Q6Av) in Brooklyn

(B)Central Pk West Local

Harlem-145 St to Herald Square-34 St, Manhattan, weekdays

Bedford Park Blvd, Bronx to Herald Square-34 St, Manhattan, rush hours

Replaced by W in Brooklyn

(D)Central Pk West/6 Av Express

Norwood-205 St, Bronx to Herald Square-34 St, Manhattan, all times

*Rush Hours via Concourse Express, peak direction

Replaced by Q Local in Brooklyn

(Q)Broadway Express / Brighton Local

Midtown-57 St/7 Av, Manhattan to Coney Island-Stillwell Av, Brooklyn, all times

Replaced the D in Brooklyn

<Q>Broadway/Brighton Express

Midtown-57 St/7 Av, Manhattan to Brighton Beach, Brooklyn, weekdays & evenings

Replaced the Q in Brooklyn

(W)Astoria/Broadway/4 Av Express/West End Local

Astoria-Ditmars Blvd, Queens to Coney Island-Stillwell Av, Brooklyn, weekdays

Midtown-57 St/7 Av, Manhattan to Coney Island-Stillwell Av, Brooklyn, evenings

Atlantic Av-Pacific St to Coney Island-Stillwell Av, Brooklyn, weekends

Sunset Park-36 St/4 Av to Coney Island-Stillwell Av, Brooklyn, Late nights

*Rush hours via Astoria Express; Peak Direction only.

Replaced the B In Brooklyn

(S)63 St/6 Av Shuttle

21 St-Queensbridge, Queens to Broadway/Lafayette, Manhattan, all times

Replaced the Q in Queens & above 47/50 Sts in Manhattan

(S)Grand St Shuttle

Broadway/Lafayette to Grand St, Manhattan, all times

Replaced the B & D

(Mx) Myrtle Av/Nassau St/4 Av/West End Local

Middle Village-Metropolitan Av, Queens to Chambers St, Manhattan, weekdays

Middle Village-Metropolitan Av, Queens to Bay Parkway, Brooklyn, rush hours

Middle Village-Metropolitan Av, Queens to Myrtle Av/Broadway, Brooklyn, late nights & weekends

(N)Astoria/Broadway Local/4 Av Express/Sea Beach Local

Astoria-Ditmars Blvd, Queens to Coney Island-Stillwell Av, Brooklyn, all times

*Late nights via 4 Av Local

(R)Queens Blvd/Broadway/4 Av Local

Forest Hills-71 Av, Queens to Bay Ridge-95 St, Brooklyn

*Late night Shuttle; Sunset Park-36 St/4 Av to Bay Ridge-95 St, Brooklyn

Concourse R68s were used on the B & D.

Some Concourse R68s were transferred to Coney Island for Q Service.

Coney Island R68s were used on the N & Q.

R68As were used on the W.

R40 Slants were used on the Q Express.

The N also consisted of R32s & R40 Slants.

I took these photos 10 years ago..

Saturday, July 21, 2001

An R40 Slant made an appearance on the B. The first time since 1997.

scan0003.jpg

New W Sign above 8 Track at Stillwell Avenue; R40 B 4293 terminated at Stillwell Av

scan0007.jpg

Last day the D Train would be pulling off the Brighton Platform in regular service

scan0014A.jpg

R68A B entering Stillwell, 7 Track

scan0014B.jpg

Sunday, July 22, 2001

The new Q Train rollsign

scan0005B.jpg

Old Q font. This is the first day of Q Local Service..

scan0005A.jpg

Q departs Stillwell

scan0006.jpg

scan0011.jpg

Q enters Stillwell

scan0012.jpg

New Q signs at Brighton Beach

scan0013.jpg

scan0013A.jpg

Now, for the W

W departs Stillwell

scan0009.jpg

Weekend W Rollsign

scan0008.jpg

scan0010.jpg

Now that its 2011, look at how much service has changed in the past 10 years.

Zach

Yeah I remember that day as well. I remember how the new (Q) will used mostly R68s and sometimes Slants until 2002 when R68As started to run on the (Q) As well. I wish the (Q) Will still used those cars daily (Unlike now):cry:

But anyways I was surprised when I first heard about those major changes.

I loved riding the Orange (Q) along Sixth Avenue and the Brighton. That was one of the first IND lines I remember riding and it was my favorite because of the R40 Slants and the window was low enough for me to look out of.

Daniel how you remember? Unless i am wrong you were only 5-6 years old in July 2001. At that age i only remember a few things like riding on a then new "R44" (D) train to CI, a few disco songs but nothing complex yet like the service routes of the NYC subway lol.:eek:

Yeah I remember that day as well. I remember how the new (Q) will used mostly R68s and sometimes Slants until 2002 when R68As started to run on the (Q) As well. I wish the (Q) Will still used those cars daily (Unlike now):cry:

But anyways I was surprised when I first heard about those major changes.

Guest lance25
Daniel how you remember? Unless i am wrong you were only 5-6 years old in July 2001. At that age i only remember a few things like riding on a then new "R44" (D) train to CI, a few disco songs but nothing complex yet like the service routes of the NYC subway lol.:eek:

And? Some people remember things better than others, regardless of how young they were when it happened. It just has to be important to them.

The worst couple of years ever. The Grand Street Shuttle was a mess, the shuttle buses ran like crap, crowding on the (F) got much worse and the L.E.S became a hellhole for anyone who wanted to go to Brooklyn, the folks I encountered that asked for another way to get to Brooklyn besides the (F), didn't want to go to Canal Street for the (Q)s and (W)s.

Man, those pictures sure bring back memories. I always loved the old Coney Island station. Never really did like this new one all that much.

And? Some people remember things better than others, regardless of how young they were when it happened. It just has to be important to them.

True. Maybe it's true that kids born in last 15-20 years are 'growing up' faster and remember things better even as young as 5-6 years old. Not a knock against Daniel but explaining I was not that smart at that same period as a boy to know about the subway routing.

And Caith you make a good point. I was still living in CI and that period between late 2001-'04 was brutal. On weekends especially when the (W) was the only Manhattan train running (due to CI station rebuliding)it ran as a 4th Ave./Bway Local turning a trip to Mid Manhattan from normally about a hour to nearly 90 minutes factoring stops for GO's/stops for work crews.

Thus My Brother(still also living in Brooklyn at time)shared a car would often drive on weekends to 36th St/4th Ave station in Sunset Park. Or use the "X28' bus. So during the nearly 20-year Manhattan Bridge project, the period between Summer 2001-Early 2004 was no doubt the worst time.:eek:

The worst couple of years ever. The Grand Street Shuttle was a mess, the shuttle buses ran like crap, crowding on the (F) got much worse and the L.E.S became a hellhole for anyone who wanted to go to Brooklyn, the folks I encountered that asked for another way to get to Brooklyn besides the (F), didn't want to go to Canal Street for the (Q)s and (W)s.

Man, those pictures sure bring back memories. I always loved the old Coney Island station. Never really did like this new one all that much.

I can sympathize since the (F) was the only Sixth Avenue line that went to Brooklyn. I believe there was a Shuttle Bus that ran between DeKalb Avenue in Brooklyn and Grand Street in Manhattan but that didn't last very long.

LMAO... I see somebody is at it again... B)

I remember this, back when I was 11 years old there was one summer where me and the fam wanted to go to C.I. and needed to transfer to another train because the (D) did not go there.

wow, brings back memories. I don't miss the old CI station. The new one is lightyears nicer.

I remember 6th Av.... was not fun, but the 6th Av (S) was interesting as they had 1 R68 train on it and most of the signs was wrong, from a yellow (:P, orange (Q), etc.

It's a pity they couldn't build an x switch near Grand St so they could have the 6th Av (S) run to Grand st.

Before the Manny B. began undergoing rehabilitation, the Brighton Line was crazy, to say the least.

The (M), then the (Mx), was the Brighton Local, running from Metro Avenue to Coney Island Normal Hours (that is, weekdays, approximately 6am to 8pm).

The (Q), then the 70(QB), was horrible though it had an interesting letter (QB stood for Q via Bridge as to distinguish it from (QT) which stood for Q via Tunnel).

I would have to say, looking back, the 70(QB) was, in a sense, the (Z) of its' day in that it ran rush hours (partial) and there never were many 70(QB)s: I think, maybe six (6) per hour for an average of ten (10) minute headways. The 70(QB) was like a supplement to the (N) on Broadway and the (Mx) on Brighton Local then.

The (D) both both the Brighton Express and the Brighton Local. When the (Mx) and 70(QB) ran, the (D) was the Brighton Express, terminating at Brighton Beach and at all other times, the (D) was the Brighton Local, terminating at Coney Island.

Nice work and very nice photos, Zach! :tup:

The time when our subway map looked like this. The World Trade Center area still wasn't doing well after 2001.

nyc_subway_map.jpg

Actually, that map was probably printed for the first major (non-9/11) service change after the one we're talking about. This big Manhattan Bridge switch was in July 2001, whereas the beginning of the (V) wasn't until December of that year.

This version of Michael Calcagno's map shows what it was like immediately after the Manhattan Bridge service changes, with the (S6) and (S) at Broadway-Lafayette, and full service still on the (1)(2)(3)(9).

The day of the changes was also my first day on the road! As the first switchman for the new (W) at Pacific!

So I got to post on the old (:P(D)(Q6Av)

It was the end of an era, and there was no idea a whole new era would begin when the work was finished.

It was all an era of transition anyway, as the Bway side was closed (for an even longer period), and there had been no extensive full bridge service for 15 yearss already.

I hated that service change it crippled the BMT in Brooklyn it was hard to get from upper Manhattan/Bronx to Brooklyn, had to take the local from 34th st to CI (For those of you who dont know the local is the (F)) still it was a rare G.O. in which rare Service Patterns where created. And the (W) was introduced to the BMT and the (V) was introduced to the IND.

Oh yeah, those days were terrible. I was only 8 and my bro wasn't even born and I always wanted to go to Coney Island for the fun...It was a hard commute.. When the (W) first came out, I always wanted to ride it.

So, the (W) and (V) - not even 10 years of service and discontinued.

Archived