Manhattan Bridge Service Changes... 10th Anniversary!

I hated that service change it crippled the BMT in Brooklyn it was hard to get from upper Manhattan/Bronx to Brooklyn, had to take the local from 34th st to CI (For those of you who dont know the local is the (F)) still it was a rare G.O. in which rare Service Patterns where created. And the (W) was introduced to the BMT and the (V) was introduced to the IND.

I agree, Andres. I lived in the Bronx and went to Brooklyn Tech from 1992 to 1996. For me, the most direct route was the (2) to Nevins Street. But it wasn't the fastest route. If I traveled during rush hours (which I usually did in the morning), the <5> was. But I believe that if the BMT tracks of the Manhattan Bridge had been open during my high school years, I would have had a faster way to school by transferring from the (2) to the (N) or (Q) at Times Square or, even faster, from the (5) to the (N) or (Q) at Union Square, then taking the (N) or (Q) to DeKalb Avenue. But with all bridge service running on 6th Avenue, I had to make two transfers. If I made that trip today or prior to December 1988, it would be just one transfer.

Not just that, the continuous absence of Broadway express service over the Manhattan Bridge for nearly 13 years caused a generation of New Yorkers and New York transplants to assume that that the (N) was always a Broadway Local and that the (Q) was always a 6th Avenue express (Q6Av). And if you told them it wasn't, they looked at you like you were nuts.

I do remember that time a lot.

In retrospect, they should have at that time perhaps had an additional train out of the Eastern Division (a 70(K) revival?), with such line running either the then-(Mx) or (J) route to Essex, then via the 6th Avenue (S6) to 21st-Queensbridge (the (Mx) could have then handled this on weekends).

Guest lance25

Why? The (V) was created in December, so that would mean your "revived 70(K)" would've only lasted a few months seeing as the (F) and (V) used the local tracks and the (:o, (D) and the Grand Street (S) were on the express tracks.

I can sympathize since the (F) was the only Sixth Avenue line that went to Brooklyn. I believe there was a Shuttle Bus that ran between DeKalb Avenue in Brooklyn and Grand Street in Manhattan but that didn't last very long.

Not very long indeed, about a week and a half or so. Then they had another shuttle from the Canal Street Station to the Grand Street Station which was one hell of a problem because just getting around from Canal to Grand is a pain in the ass.

The Sixth Ave Shuttle though was probably one of the most useful things to come out of the 4 years of hell. But what I didn't understand was why didn't they just run the 6th Avenue Shuttle all the way to Grand Street.

Because the 6th Ave. shuttle now served the 63rd St. stations, and there were more riders, so they could not do the single tracking into Grand like the 80's 6th Ave shuttle which only went to 57th, and had less riders (outside of the homeless, from what I heard). Single tracking increases the headway.

Guest lance25

Surely they could've added a crossover at Grand St, no? Of course not; that would be too damn logical. So, to this day, whenever the (D) is running split service, one has to take three trains to get to Grand St.

Crossovers are very expensive and complicated, because you have to take into consideration the tunnel structure. the tracks even separate north of Grand, and there are columns, so that would be a lot, and they weren't going to do it for a temporary closure.

Guest lance25
Crossovers are very expensive and complicated, because you have to take into consideration the tunnel structure. the tracks even separate north of Grand, and there are columns, so that would be a lot, and they weren't going to do it for a temporary closure.

Duly noted.

I remember the 6th ave (S6) when it ran nothing but R32's and once in awhile an R40 slant or an R68, yeah I remember the service changes, I remember when I was 10 back in 2000 and someone from the TA told me that they were going to have 2 new subway lines named the (V) and (W)

But to Me the (W) should have been the Brighton Express along with the (Q) instead of the <Q>

and they should have brought back the yellow (;) and had it run down West End, that would have been sweet.

Guest lance25
But to Me the (W) should have been the Brighton Express along with the (Q) instead of the <Q>

and they should have brought back the yellow (:P and had it run down West End, that would have been sweet.

They labeled the line the (W) and not the Broadway (:P again probably so passengers wouldn't be confused. Plus, it all worked out better since the (W) remained around after the Manhattan Bridge reroutes.

Why? The (V) was created in December, so that would mean your "revived 70(K)" would've only lasted a few months seeing as the (F) and (V) used the local tracks and the (:P, (D) and the Grand Street (S) were on the express tracks.

What might have happened in the end was this:

My revived 70(K) might very well have later on been swapped with the (Mx) to handle the Bay Parkway route while the (Mx) would have become the current (M) to 71-Continental and we may never have had the (V) at all.

Guest lance25
What might have happened in the end was this:

My revived 70(K) might very well have later on been swapped with the (Mx) to handle the Bay Parkway route while the (Mx) would have become the current (M) to 71-Continental and we may never have had the (V) at all.

Then you'd have four routes crossing the Williamsburg Bridge during the rush hours ((J), 70(K), (Mx) and (Z)) and the Jamaica line would be over-served with the (J), 70(K) and (Z) between Broadway Junction and Broad St.

Then you'd have four routes crossing the Williamsburg Bridge during the rush hours ((J), 70(K), (Mx) and (Z)) and the Jamaica line would be over-served with the (J), 70(K) and (Z) between Broadway Junction and Broad St.

And if that were the case, the (J)/(Z) could have then absorbed the (Mx) Bay Parkway route if the (Mx) had become what is now the current (M) along 6th Avenue, with ALL (J)/(Z) service running to Bay Parkway in rush hours.

Guest lance25
And if that were the case, the (J)/(Z) could have then absorbed the (Mx) Bay Parkway route if the (Mx) had become what is now the current (M) along 6th Avenue, with ALL (J)/(Z) service running to Bay Parkway in rush hours.

Now I'm confused. Are you saying that the (Mx) would've been eliminated in favor of the (K) from Metropolitan Av to Essex St while the (J) and (Z) would run to Bay Parkway, because if you are, that's crazy. Not only would both lines have to run there to keep the skip-stop service balanced out, but they'd need to run more trains to make up for the added distance. Then, you'd have to worry about how they'd get rid of the line when it's no longer needed. It's hard to eliminate a line when people, even if it's a few, use it often. That's part of the reason the (Mx) continued to run to Bay Parkway until last year, which is because there was Nassau Street service on the 4th Avenue/West End Local lines since the '80s.

Sorry about that, what I meant was this:

Once the connection between 63rd and 71-Continental opened in late 2001. the 70(K) would have been eliminated, with the current (M) train running to 71-Continental as it does now (in other words, the (V) never exists). Meanwhile, the (J)/(Z) lines during rush hours would have been extended to Bay Parkway OR if that was too much for the (J)/(Z), then that could have been supplemented in rush hours with a brown 70(K) running between Essex Street or Eastern Parkway and Bay Parkway.

Incredible shots! I remember all of this. I was 8 when it happened. I remember riding on the (D) when it was on the Brighton. Good times.

Oh please don't remind me of the crowding at Roosevelt Ave. and the R-32 (Q)'s signs saying either O, 0 or U, lmao! It does bring back memories and times where I fanned the subway with my parents.

Thanks Guys! And yeah, R-32s came on the (Q) right after 9-11 when it was extended via the (R) to Forest Hills-71 Av.

Archived