Sour over being sold a 'lemon' van, man crashes vehicle into six other cars at dealership

Harry

A Massachusetts driver furious he wasn't allowed to return a van he bought at a New Hampshire car dealership exacted revenge Tuesday by gunning his ride into six other vehicles at the lot.

"I hit the first $25,000 car I could see," David Cross told the Sea Coast Herald. "I didn't hit a car under $20,000. Then I moved a van that they wouldn't come down on the price for. I moved it with the lemon they sold me. I just held it to the floor until I couldn't move it anymore."

Cross, 41, says the Portsmouth dealership lied to him about the van's condition, concealing a history of problems with the car that went undiscovered until his mechanic checked it.

"It was a piece of crap," Cross told the paper.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/07/21/2011-07-21_sour_over_being_sold_a_lemon_van_man_crashes_vehicle_into_six_other_cars_at_deal.html#ixzz1SlM2OCvl

Do they have 'lemon laws' in NH? If not this guy is mostly to blame here.

First as someone who will soon buy another car, you never trust anyone not even dealership or a friend who refered to a private owner.

Someone like me who is almost clueless on fixing a car(I do know how to do oil changes:p)will take steps to lessen chances of getting dump.

This idiot first could have paid a few bucks and go to websites like http://www.carfax.com to get basic info on car's history.

Then just put in the car id#(aka VIN)to see.

That the first text an used car i may but must pass before i even go to a dealer or met the selling owner for a test drive. Then do a test drive and finally get a mechanic to look it before making the final deal.Or even in worse case if the car is a junk, sue the a@@ of either the dealer or owner to small claims court. Maybe an apperence on one of the tv court shows like "Judge Mathis" or "Judge Judy.':p

Just someone who is clueless that needs some time behind the slammer.

There was other ways to get 'even'.

I tell you this economy is snapping people's minds in half. Money is harder to come by so the reactions to having the little that they have wasted on something that doesn't work is amplified by 10x. It's a shame.

Urban this gentleman is not the only one tight with money. There tools out there to check before you buy a car. Even if he does not have the internet at home, he could go to a libary or internet cafe to go to sites like Carfax.

Or he could have sue the dealership as well and go to a local smalls claims court. It does not make it right to destroy someone's else property to get even that way.

Urban this gentleman is not the only one tight with money. There tools out there to check before you buy a car. Even if he does not have the internet at home, he could go to a libary or internet cafe to go to sites like Carfax.

Or he could have sue the dealership as well and go to a local smalls claims court. It does not make it right to destroy someone's else property to get even that way.

I know this. And I wasn't making excuses for the man. And anyone who would crash up cars in a lot just because he wasn't pleased with his own doesn't deserve to be called a gentleman.

Carfax is helpful, if the owner of the car is honest. I can tell you 80% of the carfax's you are reading, it's either missing something or it's being lied too. For example, I knew someone that wrapped his car around a tree then fixed it up and the accident never made it to an insurance company or "carfax." What was the outcome? He sold it as new and got away with it. Just saying don't rely on Carfax; At most, give carfax 10% of your decision towards buying a used car. Always bring your mechanic, check EVERYTHING and trust your instinct.

Back on-topic, I mean I've bought lemon's before but if it was an easy fix I guess I wouldn't be that mad. In his case, it doesn't specifically say what was wrong but I can feel his pain. I probably wouldn't have done what he did though. I could of sworn the lemon law was nationwide but I guess I'm wrong.

Not everyone peace is 'friends' with a mechanic and pay as much as $75-$100 to look head to toe the car they may buy. Luckily a old family friend lives in Coney Island is a mechanic so in next couple of months as i will get a car he help to look at it.

And no 'lemon laws' are not nationwide. NY is the pioneer of it.

Carfax is helpful, if the owner of the car is honest. I can tell you 80% of the carfax's you are reading, it's either missing something or it's being lied too. For example, I knew someone that wrapped his car around a tree then fixed it up and the accident never made it to an insurance company or "carfax." What was the outcome? He sold it as new and got away with it. Just saying don't rely on Carfax; At most, give carfax 10% of your decision towards buying a used car. Always bring your mechanic, check EVERYTHING and trust your instinct.

Back on-topic, I mean I've bought lemon's before but if it was an easy fix I guess I wouldn't be that mad. In his case, it doesn't specifically say what was wrong but I can feel his pain. I probably wouldn't have done what he did though. I could of sworn the lemon law was nationwide but I guess I'm wrong.

Thankfully im good with cars. Those bonehead dealerships aint pulling a fast one on me. When I bought my LS I test drove it and checked everything out to the T. I even had a voltmeter to make sure the battery was good. Dude thought I was crazy, but i ain getting no lemon. Those guys are quick if you dont know shyt about cars. If buying a car and you dont know jack squat about it, bring someone who does. It will save your ass in the end. If you know even slightest thing about a car they mood will change. Most of the time you have to play dumb with em to see how they are and at the right moment make em look like an idiot.

Rule of thumb, once you leave the lot depending on the warrenty(or if its sold as is) you cant say shyt.

@533 Bridgeton, You have an LS? That is my current car right now! I didn't know Gen I's break down so easily!.

Anyways @Shortline Bus, I can figure not everyone would know a mechanic personally. But I'd say everyone would have a friend of a friend to check something out. And @533 Bridgeton, knowing at least the basics of a car would definitely boost in buying an used car.

A used car purchase is a major purchase. Why wouldn't you pay a mechanic

to check everything out. They have services where they will come to see the

car and whatever they find wrong you can use that to lower the sale price.

If you can try to get the maintenance history of the

vehicle that you are going to buy.

Don't be afraid of high mileage vehicles, mileage doesn't tell you everything.

I once bought a 95 Chevy G20 van that had 124,000 miles, it was only 4 yrs

old all highway mileage, owned it for 10 yrs(216,000 miles)same engine, did

have to put in a rebuilt trans at 170,000 mile mark and a rear axle which was

my fault for not changing the gear fluid, but other then that nothing major.

I only sold it because of major rust problems, even though it ran great it

wasn't worth "restoring" it.

@533 Bridgeton, You have an LS? That is my current car right now! I didn't know Gen I's break down so easily!.

Yupp I have a 06. Sadly ford stopped making them after that year. The earlier models are nothing but trouble, they got it right with the 2006. Although the Lincoln MKS/Z are the direct replacements to the LS.

The earlier models have alot of problems, if I was you I would trade it in for a MKS/Z those things run great. Im either going to do that or step into Mercedes land.

the deal with carfax, according to my mechanic, is that if something shows up, you know there really was a problem, but just becuase nothing shows up does not mean there is no problem.

It still good to have the car's reported history like carfax. Of course anyone who use it as the only factor in buying a car then of course deserve to get a lemon.

Making point when i buy a used car like last time 3 years ago(in process of getting car by Sept.) i use carfax as the 1st test that needs to pass before a mechanic inspects it and then finally a 'test drive' before i buy one.

I've entered the Dodge Charger land, also went to 300ZX land as well.

How do those run? I heard they have shifting problems at around 45K miles. I wanted a Acura TL but after test driving(my moms) its just too small for someone thats 6'2. My choices right now are: S500, Acura TSX, Mazda6/BMW 760(which is going to be a hard choice between these 2 and the S500).

It still good to have the car's reported history like carfax. Of course anyone who use it as the only factor in buying a car then of course deserve to get a lemon.

Making point when i buy a used car like last time 3 years ago(in process of getting car by Sept.) i use carfax as the 1st test that needs to pass before a mechanic inspects it and then finally a 'test drive' before i buy one.

I heard you were looking to buy a ZR-1 for your "golden years" is this true?

How do those run? I heard they have shifting problems at around 45K miles. I wanted a Acura TL but after test driving(my moms) its just too small for someone thats 6'2. My choices right now are: S500, Acura TSX, Mazda6/BMW 760(which is going to be a hard choice between these 2 and the S500).

Bus driving must pay good if you got the 100 thousand soldiers for a 760?

Bus driving must pay good if you got the 100 thousand soldiers for a 760?

I was hoping to find a decent used one. Im sure i'll get a good trade in value for my Lincoln LS, but that will be at a wholesale price. Mazda6 is more in my range and I really like that sucker but the S500 & 760 are epic cars. A co-worker has the Mazda6 and its just a great all around car, l0l but its good to dream on the scale of a 760.

Good for this guy I'm happy to hear he got REVENGE on these Fr's :tup:

This guy just paved the way for the ones that dont think we'll snap and the next time some dealership does this they might wanna come up front about it.

Glad to hear this ....(A) good one Admin that ya found

Archived