Head of MTA announces resignation

mark1447

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty neutral on this guy as a whole. The cuts that were made seemed to affect the bus riders more than the subway riders (not to say they weren't affected at all..). The fare hike was pretty much what i disagreed with and I adjusted to it anyway. The new (M) was the best thing to happen in a while as far as I'm concerned. Overall my day to day life wasn't really affected by the changes. I'm more concerned now with who will take his place.

I'm pretty neutral on this guy as a whole. The cuts that were made seemed to affect the bus riders more than the subway riders (not to say they weren't affected at all..). The fare hike was pretty much what i disagreed with and I adjusted to it anyway. The new (M) was the best thing to happen in a while as far as I'm concerned. Overall my day to day life wasn't really affected by the changes. I'm more concerned now with who will take his place.

My sentiments exactly.

Let's see Walder went from London to NYC and now is going to Hong Kong (Europe as well), he has almost made a complete circle. As much as I hated him, I was actually looking forward to seeing the MTA's smartcard, which might get pushed later to a few more years.

so her leadership at the LIRR is not great is that what your saying

She probably got the job just because she's a woman (affirmative action). She has no railroad experience at all, her handling of the service disruptions was terrible.

I will say, for the record, that I liked Walder, a lot. He did some stuff that was absolutely necessary and I'm glad to see his active reforms of the system.

However, in order for the (MTA) to keep on moving forward, someone as visionary as him, and someone who's got the balls to stand up to the unions and politicians who oppose (or are indifferent to) financial solvency.

Who don't you hate... :P lol

But seriously this was a no brainer for him. I'm sure he's getting paid far more for far less stress. Whoever takes his place needs to work on getting service improved. Hopefully some of the lines that are being targeted can be saved.

I doubt they're going to restore most of the lines that were eliminated.

2 years is not alot of time to grade Walder but i just list the pros and cons of his tenture as (MTA) boss.

Cons

Unfair method of conducting the June 2010 Doomsday Budget Cuts particuarly in Brooklyn the only boro he did not attend in person during the pre-hearings.

At times being unfair to the (MTA) unions in addressing the budget crisis.

Did not go far enough IMO into cutting 'the fat' such as management jobs that were redudant or had political influence.

Ongoing problem in addressing GO aka service changes due to ongoing maintence work as weekend ridership is increasing.

Cut back on cleaning that resulted in slightly more dirter trains and buses.

The fiasco of opearting subway, bus and LIRR during the Christmas Weekend (dec. 26/27) 2010 Blizzard.

Pros

Mergering the two least used full service lines in the (M) and (V) and turning it into a single more productive one . Ridership has exceed oringal goals as it provided riders in Bushwick, Williamsburg Ridgewood and Middle Village a 1-seat ride to/from Midtown Manhattan for 1st time in nearly 35 years.

Countdown Clocks

Can a few redudant and useless jobs particuarly in upper management.

This is one of the few times ever a (MTA) Chairman has done this to save $$$.

No other major cuts after the June 2010 Doomsday reductions. A few spare service increases i.e return of full time (M50) 7-day service and rush hour X37/38 service has occurred in recent months.

Overall I give him a "C-minus" grade for his tenure. Reactions?

1) He didn't attend the one in Staten Island either. They had the hearing in Queens at the same time, so he attended that one instead.

2) He did reduce internal waste by $700 million. The remaining $100 million was reduced with the service reductions.

3)I think he did the right thing. You aren't blaming him for the weather, are you?

The specific reductions/additions, you can't give him to much credit for, since those were done by Operations Planning (I doubt the new (M) was entirely his idea: It was just a way to follow his orders of saving money). Of course, he is the one who approves the budget in the first place.

I do not know what to think here. At least fares are still $2.00.

Que?

YES!!! Maybe the (V)&(W) will come back :P:P:p

The only problem is... What if we get someone worse?

There are 3 threads already :P. I think you need to ask a mod to combine all 3 B).

YES LETS BRING IT BACK!!!

Ooops... How about NO!.. (V) didnt earned ridership unlike the (M) right now.. No not a hater.. But its about ridership and getting people from point A and B, not just having routes for no reason.

The (M) right now is doing a REALLY good job. I pretty much like it!

The (W) i can see it coming back in the future since the (Q) will head via 2nd Avenue while those on the Astoria Line are gonna scream for Express Service.

:eek: the V was heavily used.

Heavily used? Like way packed? :confused: ..No not really bro. Ive been on the (V) and if you go via 53rd Street, the (E) would be the most used.. (V) you will see some seats taken while standing room is still free. The (V) is really heavy along 6th Avenue and heading into Queens.

Making the current (M) and (V) or back and forth, i dont see a difference. The (V) is still here, but now known as (M) and not stopping at 2nd Avenue.

The Old (Mx) was another one that didnt have much riders in south Brooklyn. It helped a bit but not as much.

The (V) will not return. It will just jam the Sixth Avenue Line. The only reason people only want the (V) to return is, because of outright nostalgia. Well too bad. You had your time to take pictures of (V) trains, and it's not coming back so don't go all ape s**t for the (V). The (W) might make a comeback as a line running weekdays only, but not during late nights or weekends, and it will run to Ninth Avenue or Bay Parkway during rush hours, and riders from Canal Street on the Nassau Street Line can transfer to the (W) by going to the Broadway Line area, but that's it nothing else will happen.

I will say, for the record, that I liked Walder, a lot. He did some stuff that was absolutely necessary and I'm glad to see his active reforms of the system.

However, in order for the (MTA) to keep on moving forward, someone as visionary as him, and someone who's got the balls to stand up to the unions and politicians who oppose (or are indifferent to) financial solvency.

Meh.... He did do some good, but he wasn't all that!

3)I think he did the right thing. You aren't blaming him for the weather, are you?

I don't think anyone is blaming him for the weather, but I tell you one thing. He definitely didn't handle the situation as he should have.

There is absolutely no excuse for that one at all! Epic Fail!

The (W) ain't coming back because its not necessary. Simple as that.

And you would know this how?

The (W) i can see coming back. There IS demand for Express via Broadway from Astoria.. Explain to me why the (Q) was sent to fill in the (N) as the Broadway Express and the (N) replaced the (W).

Archived