Head of MTA announces resignation

mark1447

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The (W) ain't coming back because its not necessary. Simple as that.

Not necessary outside of rush hours. Rush hours, the (W) would be useful in allowing the (N) to run express and not hold up both local and express service when switching back to the express track south of Prince st. That plus it was a decent supplement to the infrequent (R) service in Manhattan. Now it's back to the same 'ol with Never and Rarely.

The guy was a total fail at his job...he had no business troubling any of the subway and bus lines and laying off bus operator personnel only to rehire them the fall pick.

I'm glad he's going. I can only hope the next guy's not a total ass. Hell, I don't think I can even give the guy an F, that'll make the F-rating lower than what it actually is!

While it is true, I couldn't help but laugh at this with the way you phrased it. Jay Walder screwed NYC and Nassau County big time.

While it is true, I couldn't help but laugh at this with the way you phrased it. Jay Walder screwed NYC and Nassau County big time.

No.... Nassau County executive is to blame, not Jay Walder or the (MTA).

(MTA) asked for its share, Nassau denied, BAM!

Well this is shocking news. I thought he had a few more years with the (MTA)? So much for that! I don't know how I feel about the news. He was good in some ways like the Countdown Clocks but bad in others like with the union and the Budget Cuts of 2010. I think the best way to see if we were better off with Jay Walder is when the next person in charge comes in. Right now, it could go either way but I hope that whoever comes in after Walder makes it a point to make sure that the buses and subways are better than they are now and that the employees are treated with more respect than they are now. That's just my 2 cents on the issue.

Walder was probably the only guy to give us subway luxuries (countdown clocks, station rehab) all on a tight budget. I think he did a good job, especially with the (M).

Like i said he was one of the few bosses that made good financial decisions. I love the countdown clocks. The new website and tech approach. He is nowhere near perfect and if he had more than 2 years more could have been done!!!!!!!!!!!! Smart with the (M)!!!!!!!! Also had a more creative way of dealing with problems. lets hope the next chairman is better

Considering Albany should be blamed for cutting the funding to the MTA, love it or not, it could be much worse So Walder wasn't 'that' terrible. It would've been 'easy' to just raise the fare and pass the burden onto everyone rather than to make cuts across the board.

Governments are bloated, a little bit of private management is needed to keep things in check when money is scarce.

To answer Urban's Question, yes David L. Gunn is still alive. He's 74 years old today. I remember him because as former President of (MTA) New York City Transit Authority, the redbird paint scheme was called "Gunn Red" named after him.

To answer Urban's Question, yes David L. Gunn is still alive. He's 74 years old today. I remember him because as former President of (MTA) New York City Transit Authority, the redbird paint scheme was called "Gunn Red" named after him.

David L. Gunn has an impressive Resume and years of experience

The (V) will not return. It will just jam the Sixth Avenue Line. The only reason people only want the (V) to return is, because of outright nostalgia. Well too bad. You had your time to take pictures of (V) trains, and it's not coming back so don't go all ape s**t for the (V). The (W) might make a comeback as a line running weekdays only, but not during late nights or weekends, and it will run to Ninth Avenue or Bay Parkway during rush hours, and riders from Canal Street on the Nassau Street Line can transfer to the (W) by going to the Broadway Line area, but that's it nothing else will happen.

To be fair, they should've renamed the line (V) instead of (M)

Meh.... He did do some good, but he wasn't all that!

I don't think anyone is blaming him for the weather, but I tell you one thing. He definitely didn't handle the situation as he should have.

There is absolutely no excuse for that one at all! Epic Fail!

But was there really any other way to handle it? Had the trains and buses still been running, there would've been a lot more of them stuck on the rails/streets (unless that was the one you are referring to. I forget which snowstorm was which)

Where did I say anything about restoring most of the lines that were eliminated???? :confused: If you're going to quote me, at least be accurate.

You said "I hope we can get some more lines restored", or something to that effect. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't get your hopes up that much more (if anything) will be restored.

Not necessary outside of rush hours. Rush hours, the (W) would be useful in allowing the (N) to run express and not hold up both local and express service when switching back to the express track south of Prince st. That plus it was a decent supplement to the infrequent (R) service in Manhattan. Now it's back to the same 'ol with Never and Rarely.

But the problem is that the extra switching would hold trains up at times (And as many others have said, the (N) should've remained as the Broadway Express, and (R) service should've been beefed up a bit)

The (V) will not return. It will just jam the Sixth Avenue Line. The only reason people only want the (V) to return is, because of outright nostalgia.
Also, there was the more practical purpose of allowing the Church-Jay express (since the (G) alone won't make it feasible).

Not sure what they're going to do with that now. (Wow; it's only next year now that that project is supposed to be finished).

But was there really any other way to handle it? Had the trains and buses still been running, there would've been a lot more of them stuck on the rails/streets (unless that was the one you are referring to. I forget which snowstorm was which)

I'm referring to the first storm in December. All Non RTS/Orion V/D60/MCI service should have been suspended shortly after the snow started. Once It got to say 6-7 inches, all service on buses and EL's should have been suspended, and all other vehicles should have been finishing up their last trips and heading to depots and yards.

Now for the second storm, Walder took note. But I still would NOT have suspended ALL service when he did. I would have staggered it, and phased out service across all divisions. Manhattan's streets looked betters than the ones in all the other boroughs. Their was no need to suspend ALL Manhattan service as early as it was. But, better safe than sorry TWICE!

You said "I hope we can get some more lines restored", or something to that effect. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't get your hopes up that much more (if anything) will be restored.

Uh, no I didn't. You quoted exactly what I said originally so I don't know where you're getting that from. You should re-read what I wrote, because I didn't say anything of the sort.

Uh, no I didn't. You quoted exactly what I said originally so I don't know where you're getting that from. You should re-read what I wrote, because I didn't say anything of the sort.

I see. My apologies.

All I can say is that, hopefully the next round of reductions won't be as bad, and they'll won't have to leave any areas isolated.

It all comes down to the almighty dollar.

Archived