The future is bad for the subway!

NYCboy

as you now there are now new technology trains on the (2)(4)(5)(6)(6x)(M)(L)(N)(W)(Z) lines there great but if you ever noticed

"as the future goes the NYC subway destionation numbers/letter's get smaller and dont have thier real color"

if you dont under stand its saying as the future goes on,remember the R40M/S.R42,R44,R46,R62,R68 are currently the only lines that show thier destionation number's/letter's big and they show there color. example you now when an R68 comes into a station they show (Q) in front with thier color.(yellow) but as soon as 2008-2010 the (Q) will now be digital and not show thier color it'll just be red LED lights. and as soon as 2022 the whole NYC subway system will have digital lights. of course around 2-3 lines well still use old subway cars.its not really big problem but to some poeple it is. post what you think here! and dont forget the old (NYCT) logo changed. to me that one looked better!

Yes i agree with the title. The future does look bad for the subway. And yes it does suck that the new junk trains have red LCDs. You can't tell what train is coming its annoying esp in the IRT. The rollsigns on the R26 though R68A fleets are much better due to the fact that they have the route colors. And the signs are much easier to read and CAN'T breakdown like the LCDs on the NJT. Paper cannot breakdown wheres a digital display can. Rollsigns PAWN LCDs!!!!

Yes i agree with the title. The future does look bad for the subway. And yes it does suck that the new junk trains have red LCDs. You can't tell what train is coming its annoying esp in the IRT. The rollsigns on the R26 though R68A fleets are much better due to the fact that they have the route colors. And the signs are much easier to read and CAN'T breakdown like the LCDs on the NJT. Paper cannot breakdown wheres a digital display can. Rollsigns PAWN LCDs!!!!

true true.if only the MTA wasnt lazy then maybe there could have been still large destination boards:o

I've got a great idea for the (MTA)... when they order new cars or perhaps overhaul some R160s (psh, not for a while), but they should instead put the sign right where the logo is on the front of the train, but have it be an LCD so it could display the colors of the lines.

I don't know why they went to LEDs over rollsigns. Saying that it would take too long to change the signs on every car is not an excuse because they have signs that can be change at the touch of a button. I'm sure that even if two cars from different routes were hooked up together, there signs could say the same thing by having the rollsigns sync together. I have always thought that rollsigns are easier to read and adding a light into the side signs would make them even better. I forget where I saw it, but I did see a picture of a R142 with a rollsign were the front LED sign is now, I think this was when they were still being designed, but I thought it would have looked great.

I don't know why they went to LEDs over rollsigns. Saying that it would take too long to change the signs on every car is not an excuse because they have signs that can be change at the touch of a button. I'm sure that even if two cars from different routes were hooked up together, there signs could say the same thing by having the rollsigns sync together. I have always thought that rollsigns are easier to read and adding a light into the side signs would make them even better. I forget where I saw it, but I did see a picture of a R142 with a rollsign were the front LED sign is now, I think this was when they were still being designed, but I thought it would have looked great.

They went with LED's because of the high visibility factor. Remember even those redbird rollsigns you couldn't make out what the train was until it was a few car lengths from the station. The LED, whether or not it is legible, is visible from far and Distinguishes between an inservice train and an OOS train or a work train. However, It should be possible someday soon (if it isn't already) to have multicolored LED displays that can display the route in its proper color. That would be especially helpful in the outerboros when not all trains sharing track are coded the same color.

And the signs are much easier to read and CAN'T breakdown like the LCDs on the NJT.
Thats different. NJT never got to programing them right or really see the need to use them anyway which would be helpful though. The Arrow IIIs is definately different because those didn't work from the getgo. And then you got NJT mixing so many cars together. Now it should working on the MLVs, but like I said, NJT probably doesn't see the need to. Just the exterior signs to read where the train is going.

Now, if you're also talking about light rail, the signs always work. At times, it doesn't display but you VERY rarely see that with a train coming with a blank sign. At times its operator's fault for not setting it.

Thats different. NJT never got to programing them right or really see the need to use them anyway which would be helpful though. The Arrow IIIs is definately different because those didn't work from the getgo. And then you got NJT mixing so many cars together. Now it should working on the MLVs, but like I said, NJT probably doesn't see the need to. Just the exterior signs to read where the train is going.

Now, if you're also talking about light rail, the signs always work. At times, it doesn't display but you VERY rarely see that with a train coming with a blank sign. At times its operator's fault for not setting it.

(NJT) LCD's only have issues on the exterior of much older cars. They've installed new exterior LCD displays on much of their current fleet. They can be seen inside as silvery boxes on the windows. Those trains usually also have interior LCD's. The multilevels have them on the front of cab cars only on the exterior, and inside they are at the end of the seating row and above the end vestibule doors (the ones that lead out to the next car).

It would be really easy for (MTA) to put electronic rollsigns that are multi-color enabled, i think they were just too lazy to care about the color. You could simply have a color background with the letter/number not lit so you can see the shape of the letter/number. An easy fix that could be done cheaply & quickly.

- Andy

Remember my train? The R214P? I always was concerned about this! It's kinda funny how the trains have red LCD but they appear multi colored on the map. you know what we should do? We should start a petition to bring color-matched LCD to the next-gen of the subway. (R179!) That way the subway would not fall apart. What do you think?

(N)-Trizzy Is For Colored LCDs!!

And the signs are much easier to read and CAN'T breakdown like the LCDs on the NJT. Paper cannot breakdown wheres a digital display can. Rollsigns PAWN LCDs!!!!

Actually I've seen some ripped rollsigns. They're in the middle of trains where they can't be seen (by an unsuspecting commuter) but they do happen.

Here's an example.

Also, the rollsigns on the few R62s that run the (4) are extremely dim and hard to read. Good thing those R62s run on only the (4) and not both the (4) and (5) anymore.

And with multicolored LCDs, they would only be of use on a line that has more than one color route going down the same tracks, like say the Queens Blvd line or the 8th Ave north of Columbus Circle. You still need to see the route letter if you're on one of the trunk lines in Manhattan, where they're all the same color. But good idea for the future.

as you now there are now new technology trains on the (2)(4)(5)(6)<6>(M)(L)(N)(W)(Z) lines there great but if you ever noticed

"as the future goes the NYC subway destination numbers/letter's get smaller and dont have thier real color"

if you dont under stand its saying as the future goes on,remember the R40M/S.R42,R44,R46,R62,R68 are currently the only lines that show thier destionation number's/letter's big and they show there color. example you now when an R68 comes into a station they show (Q) in front with thier color.(yellow) but as soon as 2008-2010 the (Q) will now be digital and not show thier color it'll just be red LED lights. and as soon as 2022 the whole NYC subway system will have digital lights. of course around 2-3 lines well still use old subway cars.its not really big problem but to some poeple it is. post what you think here! and dont forget the old (NYCT) logo changed. to me that one looked better!

The fact that the signs are not seen but replaced alone does not spell out the downfall of our nation's best subway system. No matter what is said and done, the MTA subway is always going to be the cream of the crop.

If anything, the changes spell out the beginning of a new frontier in the age of MTA NYC Transit.

The rollsigns on the few R62s that run the (4) are extremely dim and hard to read. Good thing those R62s run on only the (4) and not both the (4) and (5) anymore.

True that. The (6) does not use the R62As anymore so it really only leaves it down to the (4). Honestly, I always thought it made the (4) distinctive within the IRT because it used more than just two types of fleet, but really it uses four/fives at times (R62/A, R142/A/S) Talk about having the best of all its worlds.

well someone who knows the subway well and knows what their doing don't really need to know what color it is in my opinion..

We agree on something.......For those who don't know the subway, well color of signs wouldn't matter either, as they are clueless to which train they should take. A 1 looks line a 1, no matter the display, a L is an L no matter the display. NTT trains kick a$$. I wish they would get rid of the scroll signs in the old(er) cars, and update them with LCD displays, and automated announcements. But that is money TA ain't go right now.......

• 2 weeks later...

what i was thinking which may be a cool idea to do.

you know how they have their own colors for every numbered and lettered trains?

well like for example the (7) is purple, so when the (7) comes out with the newer models of it and like how everyone mention its a red digital red LED light.

i was thinking to have it its own original color but in digital form.

you what i mean?

like how currently the new (N) train has a red LED light.

Like picture it a yellow digital light instead of red.

what do u guys think?

well like for example the (7) is purple, so when the (7) comes out with the newer models of it and like how everyone mention its a red digital red LED light.

you what i mean?

what do u guys think?

I'd like that, but colored LEDs are expensive (that really shouldn't be a factor). And, I think the reason the MTA didn't do that was because red was the easiest to see. I would like colored LEDs anyway, especially on the interior signs (like on the R142/As). The R143/160s don't always have to be yellow on the interior.

I'd like that, but colored LEDs are expensive (that really shouldn't be a factor). And, I think the reason the MTA didn't do that was because red was the easiest to see. I would like colored LEDs anyway, especially on the interior signs (like on the R142/As). The R143/160s don't always have to be yellow on the interior.

That would be nice. It would be great to see colored LEDs on the inside. How bout the side signs too?

• 1 month later...
I've got a great idea for the (MTA)... when they order new cars or perhaps overhaul some R160s (psh, not for a while), but they should instead put the sign right where the logo is on the front of the train, but have it be an LCD so it could display the colors of the lines.

for the r179, instead of putting the (MTA) logo, put a digitised version of the rollsigns used on the slants, mods, 42s, 44s, 46,s 62s, hippos... full of colour and nice and big

as for the top, they can put in the destination

you what i mean?

what do u guys think?

not sure about the (A)(C)(E)(H)(J)(L)(M)(S)(Z), sum ppl might find it hard to read

3 quick responses.

The original plan was to have the R 142, 142A cars to have both red and green LEDs built in for 7th Ave and Lex Ave interchangebility but it was dropped because red can be seen at a greater distance than green, or any other color.

R62 A equipment is only used on the (7),(3)and GC(S), not the (4).

As for the NTT trains in use in the IRT there are only 2 types. They are R 142 or R142 A. The car equipment department has no equipment designated R 142 S. This is from the supers at Mosholu, 207th, and Coney Island yard. We, and they, know which cars most posters are referring to, but officially R142S is not a valid name for this equipment.

The secretary of Transportation wants to use Mass-Transit funds to add to the loss of tax revenue due to American drivers driving less! How's that for logic? Funding for mass-trans is already being ripped off. They tell you to drive less to save money and make less pollution. Then they undercit transit funds to pay for "other" things going on around the world. They give us tax rebates to fuel the economy. Then NY wants to raise the fares yet again. It is stupid. (F)(R)(A)(N)(K)

not sure about the (A)(C)(E)(H)(J)(L)(M)(S)(Z), sum ppl might find it hard to read
I would probably make thier colors a lighter a lighter shade of the same color (like light blue for the (A)(C)(E), and the (J)(M)(Z) would be a tannish color, and finally (L) and (S) would be a light gray color.

Isn't current technology capable of making these signs completely changeable? Including color, lettering, size, font? They have this big dead space where a nice window used to be, and they put those carppy dull green lights on there. The red ones are cool but sometimes hard to see. (wait until you get older) I mean, these route lights should be screaming color and be huge and easy to see!

Archived