Traffic Checker (MaBSTOA)

Markwin25

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I heard, they ride a bus and check ridership by counting passenger (traffic) that enters the bus.

Note that MaBSTOA (Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority) applies to the those two boroughs. Which is where you the traffic checker will occur.

From what I heard, they ride a bus and check ridership by counting passenger (traffic) that enters the bus.

Note that MaBSTOA (Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority) applies to the those two boroughs. Which is where you the traffic checker will occur.

Thanks for the information.

Mark Traffic Checking is a Citywide operation and they are located off of Flatbush Avenue Extension in Brooklyn I use to hold that position it's alright for someone right out of High School going into College as it is a Part-Time position they are all over the place doing surveys in all five Boroughs including the Subways & SIRTOA

They are apart of Operations Planning and thus their surveys determine which lines get additional service or a decrease in service based on ridership

Mark Traffic Checking is a Citywide operation and they are located off of Flatbush Avenue Extension in Brooklyn I use to hold that position it's alright for someone right out of High School going into College as it is a Part-Time position they are all over the place doing surveys in all five Boroughs including the Subways & SIRTOA

They are apart of Operations Planning and thus their surveys determine which lines get additional service or a decrease in service based on ridership

Thanks man! I'm actually thinking about applying for this since I did not get called for C/R (2008 exam).

Although it maybe citywide, why is it indicated under MaBSTOA?

Second, if I apply to this would it be possible to still be eligible to take a promotion to C/R or anything non-bus related? Especially since I heard you can't do that thru MaBSTOA.. While others says you can since its now under RBO.

Thanks man! I'm actually thinking about applying for this since I did not get called for C/R (2008 exam).

Second, if I apply to this would it be possible to still be eligible to take a promotion to C/R or anything non-bus related? Especially since I heard you can't do that thru MaBSTOA.. While others says you can since its now under RBO.

Where does it say they are hiring traffic checkers???

Your welcome Mark that's a good ? that unfortunately I don't have the answer to but I'm guessing because MaBSTOA is a subsidiary of New York City Transit they have jurisdiction and TA doesn't have a Traffic Checker title they also do Surveys over at (MTA) Bus Company as well

To answer your second ? I don't want to tell you yes and the answer turns out to be wrong the only good answer I can give you is to call down to livingston street and talk to someone in Human Resources or Call the Business Service Center

Your welcome Mark that's a good ? that unfortunately I don't have the answer to but I'm guessing because MaBSTOA is a subsidiary of New York City Transit they have jurisdiction and TA doesn't have a Traffic Checker title they also do Surveys over at (MTA) Bus Company as well

To answer your second ? I don't want to tell you yes and the answer turns out to be wrong the only good answer I can give you is to call down to livingston street and talk to someone in Human Resources or Call the Business Service Center

does anybody know what the numbers are to them i wanna call and find out

A lot of B/O's I have spoken to say they dislike the traffic checker guys. Not totally sure why, but just thought it is good to know.
most think that the T/C is there to keep an eye on them which is far from the truth and others think they are the cause of a loss of a run or two they are only doing the job that they were hired to do it's up to the public to do their part to keep that run on the line

lthough it maybe citywide, why is it indicated under MaBSTOA?

Mabstoa doesn't necessarily mean you're involved with bus lines/depots which are part of Mabstoa ... a good portion of analysts who work in TA offices are part of OA as well, even though their work may pertain entirely to the subway. Depending on the job posting some are given the choice of TA or OA pension plan. But if you're OA, I believe you can't move into another department. So you might not be able to "promote" to C/R, but instead have to leave traffic checker and start anew as a C/R when you're called off the O/C list.

A lot of B/O's I have spoken to say they dislike the traffic checker guys. Not totally sure why, but just thought it is good to know.

Checkers don't get much respect, even those that look at the data they collect don't always trust the accuracy and sometimes go out and get it themselves, or to clarify what the checkers give them. Another part of the traffic checker job is putting up GO posters and those weekly service advisories. Like anything else, you have those who do it well and you have those that find a friend's apartment above their bus stop and guesstimate the leave loads, then submit it.

Mabstoa doesn't necessarily mean you're involved with bus lines/depots which are part of Mabstoa ... a good portion of analysts who work in TA offices are part of OA as well, even though their work may pertain entirely to the subway. Depending on the job posting some are given the choice of TA or OA pension plan. But if you're OA, I believe you can't move into another department. So you might not be able to "promote" to C/R, but instead have to leave traffic checker and start anew as a C/R when you're called off the O/C list.

Checkers don't get much respect, even those that look at the data they collect don't always trust the accuracy and sometimes go out and get it themselves, or to clarify what the checkers give them. Another part of the traffic checker job is putting up GO posters and those weekly service advisories. Like anything else, you have those who do it well and you have those that find a friend's apartment above their bus stop and guesstimate the leave loads, then submit it.

But isn't MaBSTOA already now called T/A which will be RBO? If so, then you can get in as a C/R since its now under the MTAs control. Thats what im hearing.

But isn't MaBSTOA already now called T/A which will be RBO? If so, then you can get in as a C/R since its now under the MTAs control. Thats what im hearing.

They're all under (MTA) control. It doesn't matter about what it says on the side of the bus, they are still OA employees and AFAIK you cannot move into RTO from being (for example) an OA Bus Operator without resigning.

Checkers do many job as stated before. They do counts in bus stop, counts of people on trains and counts of people alighting and boarding a bus. They make sure we are courteous to customers and write down to the second our duration's in the bus stop. With that being said B/O's don't like checkers cause can't mouth off the the A-holes, cant run hot and usually when the checkers are around is when they are looking to do cuts not additions to a line. A little off topic but I once had a checker who was getting drunk on my bus. Next time you are on a bus and you see someone sitting in the first seat near the front door wearing a orange MTA vest and clip board, that's a checker.

Well i could try to still apply and reapply for C/R as open. Would i have to start over with the t/a if i do that?

I believe you would need to start over. But you said you're on the C/R list from '08, correct? So you might as well apply for checker if you have nothing else right now, then leave and go to C/R when you get called.

I believe you would need to start over. But you said you're on the C/R list from '08, correct? So you might as well apply for checker if you have nothing else right now, then leave and go to C/R when you get called.

Yeah C/R 2008 with 14k of people in front of me and more behind me ;)..

He won't get called for cr his list # is way to high

OA cannot promote to TA with civil service tests as TA falls under civil service law, while OA follows some of the same practices, but is not required to follow civil service law.

Here is the excerpt from the NOE for the last promotional conductor exam to prove my point:

ELIGIBILITY TO TAKE EXAMINATION: This examination is open to each employee of the New York City Transit Authority who on the date of the multiple-choice test:

1. is permanently (not provisionally) employed in or appears on a Preferred List for the title of Railroad Track Cleaner, Cleaner (Transit Authority), Station Agent, Transit Property Protection Agent, or Collecting Agent; or

2. is employed as a Labor Class Transit Cleaner or Transit Track Cleaner; and

3. is not otherwise ineligible.

(Note: A "Preferred List" is a civil service list which is only for certain former permanent incumbents of the eligible title who have rehiring rights.)

For this examination only, admission is extended to employees holding the titles of Labor Class Transit Cleaner or Transit Track Cleaner which have been determined by the Department of Citywide Administrative Services to be in related or collateral lines of promotion.

If you do not know if you are eligible, check with your department’s Human Resources

representative. You are responsible for determining whether or not you meet the eligibility

requirements for this examination prior to submitting the application. If you are marked "Not Eligible," your application fee will not be refunded and you will not receive a score.

You may be given the test before a review of your eligibility.