Traffic Checker (MaBSTOA)

Markwin25

• 1 month later...

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...

Anyone know when the next Traffic Checker exam is going to be? Also the same question for station agent.

For some reason I cannot even find a NOE for traffic checker on either MTA.info nor DCAS's site. I don't know how often they give those tests or even if they still give them.

Actually asking for a friend of mine who is not on the forums since she wants to apply for those positions when the next exams come out.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey everyone, just finishing up my fourth full year as a Traffic Checker. Still enjoy my job. Just want to let everyone know for those that still waiting for their list number to be called there will be a new Traffic Checker exam next year that the filing period starts in March as posted on the MTA website exam schedule for 2017. Good luck to those still waiting to be number to be called.

Hey everyone, just finishing up my fourth full year as a Traffic Checker. Still enjoy my job. Just want to let everyone know for those that still waiting for their list number to be called there will be a new Traffic Checker exam next year that the filing period starts in March as posted on the MTA website exam schedule for 2017. Good luck to those still waiting to be number to be called.

I see this craft coming up for an exam. What has your experience been and do you have any info regarding salary? Thanks

I want to congratulate you on your long jeopardy I must admit I'm a bit jealous lol but I'm proud. I just am pissed cuz my list number is 834 and it seem like they will expired the list by then I do know they are up to 720 but it seem like we all going to have to retake the this. I was looking forward for this position. I waiting more then 5 years still nothing. Like I'm would I be call by then. I really don't wanna retake the test when they are so close to my number but I guess that life. You keep up the good work

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats! Were there any work experience requirements for Traffic Checker? I've been waiting a long time for this upcoming March one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Congrats! Were there any work experience requirements for Traffic Checker? I've been waiting a long time for this upcoming March one.

There was no requirements when I applied for Traffic Checker in August 2011

Hi. How many hours per week? I'm planning to register for the upcoming exam.

I work at least 30 hours per week

I see this craft coming up for an exam. What has your experience been and do you have any info regarding salary? Thanks

It's been a good experience working as a Traffic Checker. I get to see and explore many areas of NYC. When I started starting pay is $13.625 per hour.

I'm pissed!! There a new test out for traffic checker but this Jack asses (excuse the language I just need to vent ) didn't even hit the 800s???? I know that city test aren't always guaranteed due to the list number,but they could come up 1000 before releasing another test???? I wait and wait and wait for this position. I really wanted to become a traffic checker, but yet I have to do it all over again and even be luck if I get call to take the test again because of the random number they give out to take this test. It's not right for us list 800s and up to not receive a pre-employment. I'm a little jealous you guys that got call but I know it's not your fault. I am truly hurt over this. And don't try to defend Mta cuz it's life I understand but to sit 5 years waiting on it and waiting on it its smh. @bknightshadow45 I'm happy you guys have the job and enjoy it but I guess we will never be employee traffic checker it's cool Ps if spell is wrong don't mind it was upset writing this

I'm glad to see you're still posting because I have a few questions!

I may be attending one of the CUNYs for uni and I was wondering if this is something I could do part-time concurrently? The ones I've looked at have pretty flexible schedules and for at least the first 2-3 years I should be able to take all my classes outside of standard hours. The big questions are

How rigid is your schedule when you start out? Does it change every day/week or is it pretty much the same hours? I ask because I'd imagine the MTA wants you to schedule everything else around their job rather than the other day around and if it changes drastically then obviously I wouldn't be able to do that.

On that same note, what about location? Do you report to Brooklyn first where they tell you where to go or do they just tell you once at the beginning of the week? Do you do Tottenville one day and Wakefield the next or can you pick a general geographic location?

The notice said you don't work more than 25 hours a week, if you do have to travel to Brooklyn, get your assignment and then travel to it (and back?) is that included in the 25? I'm assuming you would get paid for the time it takes to travel from Brooklyn onwards, right?

What about training? How long was it and when was it (days of week/time of day)?

Sorry about the stupid/obvious questions but I really don't know much about how working at the MTA is outside of office positions and operator positions so I don't know what to expect.

• 2 months later...

I got my random number in the mail for Traffic Checker (MaBSTOA), Exam No. 7104. I'm guessing any number that is way above 2,000 will not be contacted for the exam? Mine is extremely high, which is around 70xx.

I got my random number in the mail for Traffic Checker (MaBSTOA), Exam No. 7104. I'm guessing any number that is way above 2,000 will not be contacted for the exam? Mine is extremely high, which is around 70xx.

Yeah probably not this random list number thing is ridiculous. My number is really hih too. Atleast we didn't have to pay haha.

Did you apply for any other transit exams?

Yeah probably not this random list number thing is ridiculous. My number is really hih too. Atleast we didn't have to pay haha.

Did you apply for any other transit exams?

Just took the T/O exam and I applied for SIR Track Worker. How about you Jc?

Damn, I'm like 9400

I thought this was one of the small ones lol

I actually settled on a school in Maryland so it's alright. Hopefully someone who needs it will get it

I expected it to be a small one too but I guess not!

Edited by Zoey

As a Traffic Checker, do you have to ride the bus while doing the surveys or do you do them outside? do you also do surveys for the train? thanks

I do all of the above. I conduct surveys while riding the bus and the train and conduct them outside of bus stops and train stations

I'm pissed!! There a new test out for traffic checker but this Jack asses (excuse the language I just need to vent ) didn't even hit the 800s???? I know that city test aren't always guaranteed due to the list number,but they could come up 1000 before releasing another test???? I wait and wait and wait for this position. I really wanted to become a traffic checker, but yet I have to do it all over again and even be luck if I get call to take the test again because of the random number they give out to take this test. It's not right for us list 800s and up to not receive a pre-employment. I'm a little jealous you guys that got call but I know it's not your fault. I am truly hurt over this. And don't try to defend Mta cuz it's life I understand but to sit 5 years waiting on it and waiting on it its smh. @bknightshadow45 I'm happy you guys have the job and enjoy it but I guess we will never be employee traffic checker it's cool Ps if spell is wrong don't mind it was upset writing this

Sorry to hear that you still waiting to get your list number called. For that exam they mainly called and hired Traffic Checkers from October 2012 through February 2014 which they had six training classes which one of them had 50 checkers that was a huge training class. Since then they only had three training classes which on average one training class a year. Since your list number is close enough to get called you should go to 180 Livingston Street to find out the status of the list. Good luck. 

I'm glad to see you're still posting because I have a few questions!

I may be attending one of the CUNYs for uni and I was wondering if this is something I could do part-time concurrently? The ones I've looked at have pretty flexible schedules and for at least the first 2-3 years I should be able to take all my classes outside of standard hours. The big questions are

How rigid is your schedule when you start out? Does it change every day/week or is it pretty much the same hours? I ask because I'd imagine the MTA wants you to schedule everything else around their job rather than the other day around and if it changes drastically then obviously I wouldn't be able to do that.

On that same note, what about location? Do you report to Brooklyn first where they tell you where to go or do they just tell you once at the beginning of the week? Do you do Tottenville one day and Wakefield the next or can you pick a general geographic location?

The notice said you don't work more than 25 hours a week, if you do have to travel to Brooklyn, get your assignment and then travel to it (and back?) is that included in the 25? I'm assuming you would get paid for the time it takes to travel from Brooklyn onwards, right?

What about training? How long was it and when was it (days of week/time of day)?

Sorry about the stupid/obvious questions but I really don't know much about how working at the MTA is outside of office positions and operator positions so I don't know what to expect.

Thanks for all the questions, during my first year I worked everywhere since I was in the General Field. I mainly worked the Overnight/AM Shift which on a given day I could start work from 5:00am-11:00am then report back to work at 11:00pm-5:00am. You could work more than 25 hours since there are many pick jobs that work over 25 hours a week. But if you work in the General Field your hours will vary that one week you can have a 40 hour work week and the next week have 6 hours work week. Once I had no work hours when I picked up my work assignment in the field. It's hard in the beginning to work this job and be a college student that two Checkers I worked with had to quit the job.

I got a number under 2000. They said they'll try to get all under 2000.

Congratulations on getting a low list number. Do your best on the exam and score high on the exam. You are now in control of things since more likely you have an opportunity to take the exam. Be sure you know basic math, military time and have knowledge of NYC and reading subway and bus maps

Just took the T/O exam and I applied for SIR Track Worker. How about you Jc?

Took the conductor exam last year and did extremely well according to the preliminary score. I contacted the exams unit and they told me they're hoping to establish the list this year so I'm not stressing this position out.

I still have two semesters left of college. It would've been nice to have this as a part time gig, but oh well I guess.