Rush Hour 2/5 Service

dng2000

Theres also express service for both lines except more locals run than express both select (2) and (5) trains go express while the rest stay local. plus i have noticed in the afternoon express service runs southbound with select (5) trains. and to say the least there is no diamond <5> no more in the Bronx its only (2)(5).

And from what i have been seeing there is only southbound express service all day. select (5) go down M Track while others go down the local track.

Theres also express service for both lines except more locals run than express both select (2) and (5) trains go express while the rest stay local. plus i have noticed in the afternoon express service runs southbound with select (5) trains. and to say the least there is no diamond <5> no more in the Bronx its only (2)(5).

And from what i have been seeing there is only southbound express service all day. select (5) go down M Track while others go down the local track.

<5> is just an easy way to refer to the 5 to Nereid Ave

Yes but i was referring to the <5> which ran from 149th-180th before 2010. And by looking at current maps even the <5> isnt shown on the map at the Nereid Ave Stop.

To say the least i didnt even know the <5> was mainly referred to the (5) to Nereid Ave

Mind telling me what time you see select (5)s going down the middle? As a daily 2/5 rider i dont see (5)s going downtown in the middle except during AM Rush hours. (If thats what you mean)

SOME (5)s would run express northbound from 9:15am-11AM and end at 180th Street to the yard. Afternoons there is no (5)s heading express via WPR M track.

Also about select 2/5 going express, there is no 2s going express on the WPR line, unless you mean the g/os of recent which yes it both does but thats not normal service.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Right now, there is no WPR Express service from 180th to 149th except AM trips SB due to work around 180th and Unionport area. So all 2/5s are running local all day (with SOME very limited uptown (5)s running express via WPR Lower northbound and also AM Southbound (5) via Exp)

When WPR Express service is restored, this is how it ill be:

AM Rush: (2) Local | (5) From Dyre/238th/180th via Local then Exp from 180th to 149th

Midday: (2)(5) Local | (5) limited northbound express from 9:15-11AM to 180th and deadhead to yard

PM Rush: (2) Local | (5) WPR Express 149th to 180th, Local to Dyre or 238th, Limited (5)s via WPR Northern Exp from 180th to Gun Hill/WPR and deadhead to 239th (Depends on the dispatcher)

Eve (2)(5) Local / Nights: (2) Local (5) Shuttle.

I also heard that there is 1 (5) train that does a super express run during PM rush to 241st and then heads to the Yard. I did caught 1 during the Spring pick. Express from 149th to 241st and stops at 180th, GH and 241st. Dk if it ill apply once this 180th rehab is done.

True, but since 2005, now its just <6> / <7> sadly..

Mind telling me what time you see select (5)s going down the middle? As a daily 2/5 rider i dont see (5)s going downtown in the middle except during AM Rush hours. (If thats what you mean)

SOME (5)s would run express northbound from 9:15am-11AM and end at 180th Street to the yard. Afternoons there is no (5)s heading express via WPR M track.

Also about select 2/5 going express, there is no 2s going express on the WPR line, unless you mean the g/os of recent which yes it both does but thats not normal service.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Right now, there is no WPR Express service from 180th to 149th except AM trips SB due to work around 180th and Unionport area. So all 2/5s are running local all day (with SOME very limited uptown (5)s running express via WPR Lower northbound and also AM Southbound (5) via Exp)

When WPR Express service is restored, this is how it ill be:

AM Rush: (2) Local | (5) From Dyre/238th/180th via Local then Exp from 180th to 149th

Midday: (2)(5) Local | (5) limited northbound express from 9:15-11AM to 180th and deadhead to yard

PM Rush: (2) Local | (5) WPR Express 149th to 180th, Local to Dyre or 238th, Limited (5)s via WPR Northern Exp from 180th to Gun Hill/WPR and deadhead to 239th (Depends on the dispatcher)

Eve (2)(5) Local / Nights: (2) Local (5) Shuttle.

I also heard that there is 1 (5) train that does a super express run during PM rush to 241st and then heads to the Yard. I did caught 1 during the Spring pick. Express from 149th to 241st and stops at 180th, GH and 241st. Dk if it ill apply once this 180th rehab is done.

True, but since 2005, now its just <6> / <7> sadly..

i dont know if they are late trains or extra service trains but i have seen "some" (5) trains run express downtown by 174th at around 2 or 3pm. between that time frame at least 2 or 3 trains go down the express track southbound from 180th to 149th.

Guest lance25

That could be due to construction. For the past few months, during the midday hours (1000 to 1500 hrs), either uptown or downtown (2) and (5) trains were running express along White Plains Road depending on what the construction was at the time.

i dont know if they are late trains or extra service trains but i have seen "some" (5) trains run express downtown by 174th at around 2 or 3pm. between that time frame at least 2 or 3 trains go down the express track southbound from 180th to 149th.

Those would have to be the Out of Service R142s heading down to Brooklyn then, as that happens all the time. Unless you see them signed up as (5).

That could be due to construction. For the past few months, during the midday hours (1000 to 1500 hrs), either uptown or downtown (2) and (5) trains were running express along White Plains Road depending on what the construction was at the time.

General Order only, there is no (2)/(5) scheduled to run express when regular service via Local is in affect. Now if trains were late then maybe you would see a train on M track but thats rare.

Check out the track map here: http://images.nycsubway.org/trackmap/pm_west.png

The bottlenecks appear where the Dyre Avenue trains merge onto the express track and the (5) merges with the (2) at 3rd Avenue.

Typically, the (2) breaks off south of Bronx Park East, running through E180th yard (A lead) onto the local track at E180th station. That leaves both branches of the (5) alone to merge just north of E180th, and it goes fairly smoothly. The headway out of Dyre is only about every 10 minutes, so there isn't a lot of bottlenecking issues at E180. This continues until express service ends at 9am. The real pain is the three services merging back together south of Jackson.

Why not just start them at E 180 St via express and save the passengers there about 4 minutes, they do this in reverse in the morning express to E 180 St.

Those trains are putins that are supposed to start their trip at 180 making all stops going south. Due to flagging in the area those trains leave the yard late and therefore bypass 180 and run down the middle and enter service further down the line, or bypass 180 and enter service at tremont or 174 or something.

Those trains are putins that are supposed to start their trip at 180 making all stops going south. Due to flagging in the area those trains leave the yard late and therefore bypass 180 and run down the middle and enter service further down the line, or bypass 180 and enter service at tremont or 174 or something.

From what yard are they put in from? The Put-Ins do they come from Unionport, 180th, or Wakefield?

They share the track except in the Bronx when the <5> runs on the middle track to not mess around with the local services. -_-

We're sorry his knowledge of the subway wasn't quite up to par with yours; we'll check with you next time.

All putins are from E180 yard/Unionport, From East yard train goes up to A or B lead which sit next to the mainline (single-ended), then t/o changes ends and takes it south. From Unionport they just sit until there's an opening to go south.

All putins are from E180 yard/Unionport, From East yard train goes up to A or B lead which sit next to the mainline (single-ended), then t/o changes ends and takes it south. From Unionport they just sit until there's an opening to go south.
are you talking about the ATS

What the (MTA) needs to do is rebuild the entire 180th Street/Unionport Area. Remove the current Dyre EL in the area and replace it to help get AM Express / Local from interfering, same for PM service which is REALLY a headache having (2) / (5) cross each other north of 177th Street.

We're sorry his knowledge of the subway wasn't quite up to par with yours; we'll check with you next time.

Was this needed? Keep the thread moving,... Not post things that LEADs to flame... Thank You!

What the (MTA) needs to do is rebuild the entire 180th Street/Unionport Area. Remove the current Dyre EL in the area and replace it to help get AM Express / Local from interfering, same for PM service which is REALLY a headache having (2) / (5) cross each other north of 177th Street.

Was this needed? Keep the thread moving,... Not post things that LEADs to flame... Thank You!

what they need to do is make the (2) goes exp and the (5) have the local, because the (2) is so long of a route and by time its in the bronx its over crowded so they should do what they was tryin too do back in the late 90s

what they need to do is make the (2) goes exp and the (5) have the local, because the (2) is so long of a route and by time its in the bronx its over crowded so they should do what they was tryin too do back in the late 90s

As I have said lots of times in the past. This won't work.. There is HIGH demand for (2) service south of 180th Street. Doing this would really piss off people.

The 238th (5) is like a (2) express service anyways, except via Lex.

You have to also look at demand bro. The many times I have riding on the (5), it ain't packed compared to the (2) south of 180th. Yeah, there are (5) riders as well, but that doesn't mean anything.

The (2) is very demanding along the entire WPR corridor, the (5) is only demanding on its Dyre corridor.

As I have said lots of times in the past. This won't work.. There is HIGH demand for (2) service south of 180th Street. Doing this would really piss off people.

The 238th (5) is like a (2) express service anyways, except via Lex.

You have to also look at demand bro. The many times I have riding on the (5), it ain't packed compared to the (2) south of 180th. Yeah, there are (5) riders as well, but that doesn't mean anything.

The (2) is very demanding along the entire WPR corridor, the (5) is only demanding on its Dyre corridor.

i been riding it for over 20 years and i can see what they need, the (2) can go exp most people that get off the (2) btw 3rd ave and westfarms can take the (5) too it if you need the (2) and your at any station btw that you can get it at 180th every time i get on the (2) and get off at 180th its really not as crowded there only the people left going past 180th is on and that isnt too many. now that would help move the (2) being that it always gets backed up coming uptown because they run faster than the (5) and the 7th ave line is less congested than the lex. than it will also speed up the change at 180th no more cross over waiting for the (5) or the (2) too go first, that alone backs up both lines for a long time when the rush hour is at its highest.

Archived